SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's BB

UND Fan

This was in the Bismarck Tribune: Ledger jumps to college with ease

Whether the sport is football, basketball, hockey or something else, most athletes need to adjust to the heightened physical play when making the leap from high school to college.

Not so for Whitney Ledger. The 2005 graduate of Century High School has found a comfort zone in her advancement to college women's basketball at the University of North Dakota.

"When I played in high school, I was so aggressive that I fouled out a lot," she said. "Here, they not only tolerate physical play, they encourage it.

"It's physical and I love it."

The feeling is mutual. Ledger has been an instant hit at UND, where instant hits are the exception rather than the rule.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2006 NCAA Division II Women's Basketball Championship - Printable Bracket

Instructions:

1) Start at upper left hand corner with 1*North Dakota (32-0)

2) Proceed right to first empty line and insert 1*North Dakota (33-0)

3) Proceed right to first empty line and insert 1*North Dakota (34-0)

4) Proceed right to first empty line and insert 1*North Dakota (35-0)

5) Proceed right to first empty line and insert 1*North Dakota (36-0)

6) Proceed right to first empty line and insert 1*North Dakota (37-0)

7) Proceed downward to first empty line (National Champion) and insert 1*North Dakota (38-0)

8) For remaining empty lines...insert random team and record.

Congratulations! You have now completed your 2006 NCAA Division II Women's Basketball Championship Bracket!

You could at least mention doing the same on the other side of the bracket for GVSU. I would more than happily take loosing the National championship game to you guys. :lol:;)

2006 NCAA Division II Women's Basketball Championship - Printable Bracket

Instructions:

1) Start at upper left hand corner with 1*North Dakota (32-0)

2) Proceed right to first empty line and insert 1*North Dakota (33-0)

3) Proceed right to first empty line and insert 1*North Dakota (34-0)

4) Proceed right to first empty line and insert 1*North Dakota (35-0)

5) Proceed right to first empty line and insert 1*North Dakota (36-0)

6) Proceed right to first empty line and insert 1*North Dakota (37-0)

7) Proceed downward to first empty line (National Champion) and insert 1*North Dakota (38-0)

8) For remaining empty lines...insert random team and record.

Congratulations! You have now completed your 2006 NCAA Division II Women's Basketball Championship Bracket!

Appears the semi-finals are on ESPNU.

I read the Washburn article last week, and what struck me is what an accomplishment it's been for UND (and NDSU and SDSU) to have won a total of nine national championships without (to my knowledge) having any players who were in dII solely because they weren't academically eligible to play dI. Obviously we see that a lot in men's basketball, but relatively infrequently on the women's side. I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to say that it taints things somewhat when your best player by far is only at your school because she HAD to play at a level below dI, but I will say that I'm proud of the way UND and the other NCC schools have done things in women's basketball.

Any predictions for tomorrow? I think the Sioux will win big; Northern over Regis since the RMAC never wins games in the regional; Augie over SCSU in close one; and Wayne over Concordia-St. Paul.

Agree except for the Augie/SCSU game - I think Augies spent and the Huskies will pull it out. I know the game is at a crappy time but fans...TURN OUT TURN OUT TURN OUT!! The crowd turned the tide last Sunday and we probably won't need it against CS-Pueblo but the ladies deserve it!

HELLOOOOO!!! Anyone out there?:lol:? Way to go Ladies!!!! OUTSTANDING!!!!! Anyone see the Augie-SC game?? It looks like the score indicates no problem for SCSU. I can't believe no one has anything to say about a 33-0 team??? Keep up the good work Sioux!!!

I was hoping for a score as I live in Maryland and follow the progress by what is posted here and on fightingsioux.com. Usually I get it first here but not last night.

It was a pretty good performance by the Sioux, but we'll need another good performance to win today. Northern is not a bad team at all. I'm hoping that Langen can stay out of foul trouble today, and that Jahner can regain her shooting touch as she's really struggling right now to put the ball in the basket.

It's really a luxury to be able to bring in a player like Kimbrough off the bench! I guarantee that nobody else in dII has a post player with that kind of offensive ability who isn't a starter. Last year, if Ashley was in foul trouble, I was very worried that we would have to completely rely on outside shooting, which could be very streaky. Now, while I want to see Langen in the game as much as possible, Kimbrough is more than capable of picking up the offensive slack.

It was a pretty good performance by the Sioux, but we'll need another good performance to win today. Northern is not a bad team at all. I'm hoping that Langen can stay out of foul trouble today, and that Jahner can regain her shooting touch as she's really struggling right now to put the ball in the basket.

It's really a luxury to be able to bring in a player like Kimbrough off the bench! I guarantee that nobody else in dII has a post player with that kind of offensive ability who isn't a starter. Last year, if Ashley was in foul trouble, I was very worried that we would have to completely rely on outside shooting, which could be very streaky. Now, while I want to see Langen in the game as much as possible, Kimbrough is more than capable of picking up the offensive slack.

I was really impressed with the Sioux women when they played in Aberdeen earlier in the year. I have never seen a womens basketball team pass the ball the way they can. Their bench could start for most teams - such quality depth. They're a double edged sword - shut down the inside game and they will kill you from the outside - guard em tight on the outside and they'll kill you underneath. The wolves were able to play with them for a while until the outside shooters warmed up, then it was game over. The only way someone is going to beat the Sioux this year is if they are ice cold from the perimeter for the whole game.

I think we may stay in the game as long as our starters remain fresh but after that it could get away (we don't have much depth). I'm predicting a fairly close game for 25-30 minutes and the Sioux pulling away to a 14-18 point win. The Huskies should then beat CSP rather easily setting up a rematch of last years final. The Sioux will get sweet revenge!

PS. Please go D1! We are going to have a decent team the next few years but with your young girls on the bench and good recruits coming in its going to be a tough time for any team to come through this region as long as UND is in it.