SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's BB

UND Fan

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched some clips from the GF news on the web, and Coach Ulferts had some very nice things to say about the UND program. Everybody associated with SCSU respects the women's program at UND.

Do you think SCSU has a shot?

They should be the odds on favorite to win the National Title.

I watched some clips from the GF news on the web, and Coach Ulferts had some very nice things to say about the UND program. Everybody associated with SCSU respects the women's program at UND.

Do you think SCSU has a shot?

Based on this quote from Ulferts, I am definitely pulling for them. :lol:

St. Cloud head coach Lori Ulferts added, "I think it's a shame that the University of North Dakota is not going to the national tournament."

Yes, please explain!

Nothing to explain....if you know what the golden rule is....and if you live by it....you dont have anything to worry about....then again...if you dont treat others how you would like to be treated and cheat the system and treat people around you poorly....hopefully you wont reep the benefits....and the golden rule prevails again!!!!! Justice is served once again!!!!

Just curious why no one is talking about how UND beat all of these teams by a fair amount of points then, later in the year....all the games have gotten so much closer??? So St. Cloud St. got better but UND didnt??

That could be one option... or it could be that the Sioux were firing on all cylinders all year, but hit a bump in the road. The sioux/scsu games earlier this year were very close, even when the Sioux played some of their best ball. However, if you can't shoot and can't rebound, you're not going to win. Especially in the playoffs, where you're playing the best of the best and not some teams you can beat up by 50.

Nothing to explain....if you know what the golden rule is....and if you live by it....you dont have anything to worry about....then again...if you dont treat others how you would like to be treated and cheat the system and treat people around you poorly....hopefully you wont reep the benefits....and the golden rule prevails again!!!!! Justice is served once again!!!!

I understand the philosphy but I don't understand how it applies here. Why did you make the comment if you aren't willing to explain it???

St Cloud is a great team, top 3-4 in the country....probably the favorite to win the title. There is no reason to really get too worked up about losing to a well-coached team like them. I think most were worried when you have to beat a team like them 3-4 times in a year. 29% shooting in the 1st and low 30's for the game is going to catch up to a team. The biggest difference between this years team and the ones from the late 90's is the ability to create easy baskets. Those teams also could go on bad shooting streaks, but they had the ability to create transition baskets off the defensive boards and also many points off the press. These things helped overcome the poor shooting nights.

BTW, UND barely beat St.Cloud early in the year, in fact it was tied in the last minute or two of the game. UND actually beat Northern much worse this time than they did in non-conference. As far as Pueblo, UND by 40 the first meeting and 23 the second, but had a player who was unstoppable that night and had 33(?) before fouling out. Please get facts straight!

They should be the odds on favorite to win the National Title.

Ballocks!! GVSU is probably now the Odds-makers favorate to win it all now, with UND and Washburn both out. :lol:

I'll be in Arkansas, How much trouble do you guys think I would be in if I go to one of St. Cloud's games and hold up a "Jan Brady State" Sign?? :)

Ballocks!! GVSU is probably now the Odds-makers favorate to win it all now, with UND and Washburn both out. :lol:

I'll be in Arkansas, How much trouble do you guys think I would be in if I go to one of St. Cloud's games and hold up a "Jan Brady State" Sign?? :)

I dont' think anybody would get it...including our fans. U of M fans call us JBSU in DI hockey...it is fitting when they say it. Basketball fans would not get it if one of our peers was holding a sign like that.

I dont' think anybody would get it...including our fans. U of M fans call us JBSU in DI hockey...it is fitting when they say it. Basketball fans would not get it if one of our peers was holding a sign like that.

Oh, I have a hunch they'll get it, and if not, I'll make them get it!! Do not underestimate the Powers of the Monster!! ;):lol:

PS- Perhaps we should continue this arguement elsewhere. I'll invite you to check out GVfootball.com You just might want to clairfy which State you're talking about in your screen name there. Over there, you would be thought of as a Michigan St. fan.

One thing that struck me this year was that NOBODY played man-to-man against the Sioux. That was presumably because coaches knew that there was really no way to handle players like Langen, Boese and Kimbrough one-on-one. They were much better off sagging off, and forcing UND to beat them with outside shooting. In other words, they adjusted to give themselves the best possible chance to win. UND, on the other hand, played nothing but man-to-man, regardless of the opponent. In theory, that's fine, as I believe most coaches would agree that playing man-to-man is preferable, if you have the talent to do so. However, I believe that there are times that you need to have the willingness to switch up defenses if the situation calls for it. Two times that come to my mind are, not coincidentally, our two most recent losses (SCSU and Concordia-St. Paul). What do these two teams have in common? A guard who was very skilled as a one-on-one player. Obviously, in the two regional games we lost, Carlisle and Hansen went off for big points. It seems to me that maybe it would have been prudent to try a little zone, which would have made getting to the basket more difficult. If I had one piece of constructive criticism of Gene Roebuck, it's that he feels his team has the most talent (which it does), and therefore he's not willing to adjust to what other teams do. I've heard him say on the radio that he feels that playing zone is tantamount to admitting that you don't have the ability to defend certain opposing players, and presumably he's completely unwilling to "give in" by playing any zone whatsoever. I don't think there's any shame in adjusting when you have difficulty in stopping certain kinds of players, particularly when you're in a lose-and-you're-done situation. I'm certainly not suggesting that UND lost because of poor coaching or anything of the sort--merely that adjusting defenses isn't necessarily a bad thing, and that Gene may be a little too stubborn sometimes.

Unfortunately, I forgot to listen to the coaches' show last Wednesday, but apparently Roebuck mentioned the need to possibly play some zone next year.

Who is running the point, and again this maybe why there will be a need to play a zone more again next year.

Presumably Jahner will have to play a lot of point guard next year. Jossy Bergan will likely be the backup. I would hope that Roebuck doesn't try to convert somebody else into a point guard (e.g. Bagaason or Guinn), because that very rarely works. Jahner was a point guard in high school, so that's not a huge stretch.

Looks like the real National Championship game may have been a couple of weeks ago in Grand Forks.

Maybe, but it appears that this season, the last thing any team should want to be is the favorite. I expected Emporia State would be a big factor, but they promptly lost yesterday. Grand Valley looks to be the biggest threat to St. Cloud State. I think the Huskies would have to really lay an egg to lose to American International in the semi's.