SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

On 1/10/2021 at 11:51 AM, scpa0305 said:

Me too. This could be the case. UND didnt have a ton of room this year however Halliday has had a decent start to his USHL season.

I will say this...every time a recruit decommits or has his scholly pulled, they rarely shine elsewhere.

On 1/10/2021 at 7:06 PM, Tbone said:

Boeser and Stecher were awesome decommits

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

As I recall, Gregoire and Gage Ausmus were also kids who committed elsewhere (DU?) and were very good players here.

22 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I'd say Riese Gaber is doing alright for UND so far as well. Originally a WMU commit.

I think he meant after they decommit from UND.

Neither Rizzo nor Halliday wound up living up to the hype surrounding them when committed. We had a potential log jam given the extra year of eligibility for everyone playing this year.

Any potential grad transfers we should have an eye on? Max Johnson at Bowling Green would be sought after if he decides to use his 5th year of eligibility.

10 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

JT Miller is a decommit that seems to have done well.

He left the team high and dry if memory serves me correctly.  UND was nothing more than a bargaining chip until he bolted late for juniors.  Not this fan’s favorite.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 90siouxfan said:

not a favorite of mine either, but that is not the criteria of the discussion

Sorry for getting off track...does Tambellini count?  He actually made it to campus and suited up for a few games before bolting.

7 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I would think so, a commitment would be 1-4 years, he opted out prior,  not sure how is career has gone.

Playing professionally in Sweden at the moment.  A few years with the Hartford Wolf Pack after the WHL.  One year in Hartford he was a fantastic -34 in the plus minus category.  All told he was minus 53 in his AHL career.  Not that he played on any good teams though, Hartford had their struggles while he was there. 

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

He left the team high and dry if memory serves me correctly.  UND was nothing more than a bargaining chip until he bolted late for juniors.  Not this fan’s favorite.

Reminds me of Garrett Clarke playing both Dean Blais and a QMJHL team to get to another Quebec team (Halifax?)

I hate to be an ass on this, but for me I think a commitment should be 2 years minimum (don’t get me started on verbals!). So much work goes into finding these kids an offering them financial rewards for joining the team, it sucks that they can just walk. Two years, enter the portal and go.

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

not a favorite of mine either, but that is not the criteria of the discussion

I perceived the discussion to be more about guys that UND decided to part with as recruits, even though we aren't positive that is what happened with Halliday and Rizzo.  We didn't decide to part with Miller, he decided to play Major Junior instead.  

25 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

I hate to be an ass on this, but for me I think a commitment should be 2 years minimum (don’t get me started on verbals!). So much work goes into finding these kids an offering them financial rewards for joining the team, it sucks that they can just walk. Two years, enter the portal and go.

That goes both ways though.  I agree in concept, as it would cause schools to evaluate more before making an offer, but how many guys would UND have been stuck with if the commitment was binding?  Charlie Pelnik, Luke Beaverson, Michael Fink, Danny Mattson, Christian Cakebread, Luke Voltin, Jack Rowe to only name a few. If some of those names are unfamiliar, it shows they didn't do much after they parted ways. 

I see now that you were talking commitments, not verbals, but it definitely goes both ways.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Man, can you imagine having Chelios back there on the blue line on those UND teams?! 

It would have been even more amazing.  The '82 team would have had the following blueliners:

Craig Ludwig (played over 1250 NHL games)

James Patrick (played over 1250 NHL games)

Rick Zombo (played over 650 NHL games)

Chris Chelios (played over 1650 NHL games)

Mike Stone

Bill Whitsitt 

Troy Magnuson.

That's nearly 5000 NHL games...just from the blue line.  Would have been extremely impressive.

The bigger impact likely would have been on the 1982-1983 team.  They almost certainly would have made the NCAA Tournament that year, and likely would have challenged for back-to-back titles...something that still eludes North Dakota. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

It would have been even more amazing.  The '82 team would have had the following blueliners:

Craig Ludwig (played over 1250 NHL games)

James Patrick (played over 1250 NHL games)

Rick Zombo (played over 650 NHL games)

Chris Chelios (played over 1650 NHL games)

Mike Stone

Bill Whitsitt 

Troy Magnuson.

That's nearly 5000 NHL games...just from the blue line.  Would have been extremely impressive.

The bigger impact likely would have been on the 1982-1983 team.  They almost certainly would have made the NCAA Tournament that year, and likely would have challenged for back-to-back titles...something that still eludes North Dakota. 

Don’t think Magnuson played defense. Glen Fester maybe.

21 hours ago, tnt said:

That goes both ways though.  I agree in concept, as it would cause schools to evaluate more before making an offer, but how many guys would UND have been stuck with if the commitment was binding?  Charlie Pelnik, Luke Beaverson, Michael Fink, Danny Mattson, Christian Cakebread, Luke Voltin, Jack Rowe to only name a few. If some of those names are unfamiliar, it shows they didn't do much after they parted ways. 

I see now that you were talking commitments, not verbals, but it definitely goes both ways.  

Danny Mattson would have play the whole season if he didn't decommit. 

Not sure how much his name has been brought up, but Sophomore Jayson Shaugabay had three points last night for Warroad.  I know he went high in the WHL draft, so they are always lurking, but the kid seems to be somebody the coach's would be aware of.