SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Maybe he realizes that he is currently playing with his possible future line mates and while they are scoring quite a bit, they are getting scored on even more often.

Waterloo's problems are not their top line forwards.

Their issue has been lousy goaltending and the defensive group has not been good all year. Even our D recruit Shaw is a -5 and that is only in only 18 games played. This coming off of last season where he was a +8.

Waterloo's problems are not their top line forwards.

Their issue has been lousy goaltending and the defensive group has not been good all year. Even our D recruit Shaw is a -5 and that is only in only 18 games played. This coming off of last season where he was a +8.

Do you watch a lot of their games?

Alec Rauhauser is second in scoring amongst defensemen in the USHL 7-19-26.

Marc-Anthnoy Therrien a player who would have to come in next year if UND couldn't land a high prized recruit that would come in next year. Marc-Anthnoy Therrien plays in the QJHL alson know as the QJAAAHL, it looks like he hasn't played in the QMJHL.

Marc-Anthnoy Therrien:

2011-12 Princeville Titans 48 games 14-13-27

2012-13 Princeville Titans 52 games 26-23-49

2013-14 Princeville Titans 52 games 39-46-85

2014-15 Princeville Titans 38 games 48-55-103

I figured the Prospective Recruit thread would be a good place to put this.  Very good read...

Game Misconduct: The Assault on the State of Hockey

Thanks for posting it was a very good article. Having played high school hockey in Minnesota and still living there I wish most if not all of the Minnesota kids would stay and play high school hockey like they use to. Hopefully someday it gets back to where it is rare to see a MN kid leave early for juniors but I don't think the chances of that are real good.

I figured the Prospective Recruit thread would be a good place to put this.  Very good read...

Game Misconduct: The Assault on the State of Hockey

I read this earlier today.  There were some good parts (terrorizing agents, crazy parents that want to push their kids too fast, etc).  The part I did not like is that it was so one sided and obviously agenda driven (by Minnesota Hockey).  It is obviously geared to say that all kids, regardless of their talent level, should play 4 years of high school hockey.  Which is obviously false.

First off, it should be the kid's choice with the aid of their parents.  Second, there is nothing wrong with going the CHL route, or leaving high school early and playing in the NA or the USHL before playing college hockey.  It is also perfectly ok to stay and play high school hockey if the kid so chooses.  I am of the thinking that if a kid has completely proven that he has nothing more to gain from playing HS hockey (dominating) than he should consider playing at the next level if he wants to challenge himself.  The reason more and more MN kids are leaving early is because they want to play against better competition.  This article has a similar feel to all those articles written by Canadian writers noting it is "their game" and they should outlaw all imports from the CHL.  It's all about letting better players play against each other.

A teenagers development is about so much more than on the ice skill.  The goal should be to play hockey, not necessarily to play hockey in any particular league or level.  The difference with the NHL is about money and fame...which should not be the motivation for any career that will ultimately result is self-actualization.  

Kids and parents need to ask themselves is this about playing hockey or is this about trying to make millions...

I mostly got a kick out of Bethune being the poster child.  He's Canadian to start with so not sure how much of a shock it should've been.

You do have cases like Crookston's Paul Bittner leaving young and I believe his dad was the head coach.  And it has worked for him as he's ranked pretty decently.

Heck even girls are getting into the act as EGF lost 3 to AAA (or whatever classification) this year.

I am hearing some rumors that MSHSL may allow high school teams to play more games to combat juniors.  My feeling on it is that most of these kids aren't going straight to college or the NHL after high school, so why leave early?  How many are truly hitting the fast track?

Its a small sample size, but I can name about 5 skaters who left White Bear Lake to play Junior hockey their senior year in the last 10-12 years or so. There are probably more, but of the ones i know, most of them made it to D1 hockey.  However, the two Bears currently in the NHL, Justin Braun (San Jose Sharks) and Ryan Carter (Wild), played their senior year in White Bear Lake and got to experience the state tournament with their teammates they had been playing with since mite hockey.  

A teenagers development is about so much more than on the ice skill.  The goal should be to play hockey, not necessarily to play hockey in any particular league or level.  The difference with the NHL is about money and fame...which should not be the motivation for any career that will ultimately result is self-actualization.  

Kids and parents need to ask themselves is this about playing hockey or is this about trying to make millions...

Really like this post.  Your 16 year old may act like he doesn't need his parents anymore, and you may not be spending much quality time together as everyone is so darn busy, but the value imprinting is still going on.

Its a small sample size, but I can name about 5 skaters who left White Bear Lake to play Junior hockey their senior year in the last 10-12 years or so. There are probably more, but of the ones i know, most of them made it to D1 hockey.  However, the two Bears currently in the NHL, Justin Braun (San Jose Sharks) and Ryan Carter (Wild), played their senior year in White Bear Lake and got to experience the state tournament with their teammates they had been playing with since mite hockey.  

If they have the talent and the drive, they will make it.  Tons of examples.  Stay home and be a high school senior.  Grow as a person.

And Paul Bittner is #19 on central scouting at mid- year...and skating top 6 in the CHL top prospect game

You never would have been able to type those words if he was still at Crookston. He is an obvious aberration to the thought that talent is discovered no matter where you are. I'm not saying he couldn't have developed into a nice player, even an NHL prospect, at Crookston. Just not to the level that he has. Congrats to him and his family. I hope he makes it.

You never would have been able to type those words if he was still at Crookston. He is an obvious aberration to the thought that talent is discovered no matter where you are. I'm not saying he couldn't have developed into a nice player, even an NHL prospect, at Crookston. Just not to the level that he has. Congrats to him and his family. I hope he makes it.

I'm not so sure of that Oshie and Nelson were both 1st round picks playing in the exact same section and a similar schedule that Crookston plays. Obviously the CHL has worked well for him but he would have played in the elite league and got a lot of exposure there and still could have been a 1st or 2nd round pick like he will be this year if he had stayed. I know some people that were close to him and when he decided to go to the CHL they said one of the biggest reason was because he wasn't a very good student and really didn't like school.

Dayton Rasmussen Colorado Thunderbirds U16 goalie 10-1 with 1 SOL 5 shutouts 1.47 GAA .917 SV%

Dylan St. Cyr Honeybaked U16 goalie 14-3 4 shutouts 1.94 GAA ..904 SV%. St. Cyr has also played 2 games for Honeybaked U18 1-0 3.31 GAA .898 SV%

Phillip Knies Colorado Thunderbirds U16 forward from Phoenix in 22 games 15-16-31. Second in scoring behind Gerlach. 

Baker Shore Colorado Thunderbirds U16 forward in 24 games 11-15-26. Highly likely he'll follow his brother to Denver

Josiah Slavin Colorado Thunderbirds U16 forward in 24 games 12-6-18.

Jiri Hozak Little Caesars U18 forward in 21 games 8-10-18.

Daniil Sokolka Little Caesars U18 in 21 games 3-10-13.

Vadim Vasjonkin Honeybaked U18 in 17 games 10-5-15.

Brady Tkachuk St. Louis AAA Blues U16 in 30 games 15-28-43.

Each athlete needs to look at his situation,  the below average student is one example.  If a high level player is living/playing in a system where hockey is low level I would think a move to higher level would help his/her development.  I also think the targets that better players wear in the lesser leagues cannot be ignored.