SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

OK Captains of the Obvious, everybody knows the USHL is by far the best supplier of players to NCAA D-1...you seem to claim it as inside knowledge...sometimes some very good players come from other leagues like the NAHL...this too is common knowledge.

Clearly agree....one is a Tier 1 league and 1 is a tier 3 league.

OK Captains of the Obvious, everybody knows the USHL is by far the best supplier of players to NCAA D-1...you seem to claim it as inside knowledge...sometimes some very good players come from other leagues like the NAHL...this too is common knowledge.

I think if you are a kid coming out of high school that is probably looking at 2 years of juniors before college you need to look at what is best for your development. I think a kid is better off playing 1st line minutes and getting power play time and penalty kill time in the NAHL than being the 10th-14th forward in the USHL. I think over the last couple years, kids are figuring that out and that is why I think the NAHL has improved quite a bit.

The bickering on this thread is pretty funny-

Did you know that each league in the CHL produces more top end prospects than the USHL and the NAHL combined...

The bottom line is hockey is an early development game for prospects. The best go to Canada, the next best to the USHL, the NAHL is a great place for late bloomers to keep their hockey dream alive...

Some guys choose college...

You could make the same debate about high school hockey in Minnesota vs going Midget AAA...

There are always diamonds in the rough and guys that can play, but never got a chance/look when they were younger (Penner anyone?)

Agreed. Penner's a legend :)

• 3 weeks later...

Joey Anderson of Hill-Murray committed to Duluth today. A lot of people believed he was a future Gopher so it is a big suprise to see him go somewhwere else. Anderson is a huge get for the Bulldogs and will be a freshman at Hill-Murray next season.

Joey Anderson of Hill-Murray committed to Duluth today. A lot of people believed he was a future Gopher so it is a big suprise to see him go somewhwere else. Anderson is a huge get for the Bulldogs and will be a freshman at Hill-Murray next season.

Wow nice get for Duluth

Which means he has 3-4 years to change his mind if he is only in 8th grade and 14 years old.

Any player that decides against going to UMTC is great in my book but as an 8th grader we will see if he ends up being a good get for Duluth. To young to judge that right now in my opinion.

Any player that decides against going to UMTC is great in my book but as an 8th grader we will see if he ends up being a good get for Duluth. To young to judge that right now in my opinion.

He has all the makings right now, I watched him in the state tournament last season and not many 8th graders even play for the Hill-Murray program and much less stand out the way he did. You're right though you never know some kids keep developing and some guys just fall off and stay at the same level.

This was a tweet from Anderson a couple months ago so you wonder what changed in his mind from then until now unless he didn't have a Gopher offer yet but I'd be very suprised if that was the case.

Joey Anderson@JTA_829 Mar

Every Minnesota boys dream to wear that maroon and gold someday #gophers

True, but he also added the hashtag #gophers.

Apparently he has some family ties to UMD so he must have had a change of heart.

We'll see if he actually ends up there - 4 years is a bit far off. I'm just thinking about a couple kids who committed super early who currently play for UND that were committed to other schools at 14/15. He could very well end up at UMD, but he wouldn't be the first to change his mind. Commitments this early come with an automatic red flag for me.

... I don't even know why I was thinking about this earlier...

We were told that the only reason Matt Morelli played here is because of Reg Morelli, now when the Sioux don't take a player that is related to a former player, they lost out. I think Omaha is more in a position where they commit to players a little earlier than the Sioux, especially if they aren't deemed elite level talent.

Those five recruits are a combined 9-19 vs UND while at UNO.

Morelli has a long ways to go yet. Not saying he can't be an above average player in college but to say we lost out on one in our backyard is a bit of a stretch. As always time will tell.

Morelli has a long ways to go yet. Not saying he can't be an above average player in college but to say we lost out on one in our backyard is a bit of a stretch. As always time will tell.

Even if he does turn out to be a great college player, you can't fault Hak & Co. for missing out on him because you can only recruit on what you see right now. And, as of right now, he's not worth the roster spot compared to our other recruits. Hindsight is always 20/20, but you don't get the fortune of knowing a kid's future when he is ready to commit to a program.

I wouldn't say the Sioux missed out on him either. Only going to be a senior in high school, and I'd say he has at least two more years of junior hockey ahead of him either in Minot or Fargo. Kind of surprised he already gave a verbal.

• 4 weeks later...

Avery Peterson of Grand Rapids was selected by the Minnesota Wild #167 overall and I believe he has already visited campus.

The 2 players that I am hoping we can land right now are Peterson who is a bigger skilled forward and defenseman Jack Dougherty of St.Thomas Academy who was committed to Ohio State but decommitted after the coaching change.

Ryan Gropp was recently at UND for a visit and would be another great get, looks like he and Wade Murphy are friends too which could maybe help.

Wade Murphy@wmurphy937m

Great to see my boy @Gropper8 here at North Dakota last night, kid is sorta a beauty #stallmate #mitts #swag

Retweeted by Schlossman

Schlossman@SchlossmanGF1m

That means Ryan Gropp, believed to be the top '96 in the BCHL, visited UND this weekend.