SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

On 1/27/2022 at 9:03 PM, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Does Mitchell Miller get a chance to play college hockey? He is having a fantastic season so far. 

If he’s appropriately changed his ways sure. To be honest maybe he did before the press shut everyone down, who really knows. Everything is speculation at this point. But if Bubs did his due diligence the first time around, we should give him another chance. He’s really good.

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

There will come a day when Berry actually beats out Motzko for a recruit. Hasn't happened in years (if ever), since he's gotten to Minnesota, but someday.

I guess I'd like to have you define "beat out" ... are you ignoring guys like Sanderson, Perron, Blake, etc., that everyone had eyes on? Ethan Frisch stands out as a Minnesota boy I know Minny had eyes on. 

27 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I guess I'd like to have you define "beat out" ... are you ignoring guys like Sanderson, Perron, Blake, etc., that everyone had eyes on? Ethan Frisch stands out as a Minnesota boy I know Minny had eyes on. 

UND and Harvard were actually the only teams that recruited Sanderson. It was in an article in the GF Herald. It’s kind of funny to think about. 

11 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

UND and Harvard were actually the only teams that recruited Sanderson. It was in an article in the GF Herald. 

That I did not know. I know he was a little bit of "late bloomer" ... I'm curious of @AJS perspective on this because I do feel he's pretty locked in on the recruiting stuff. 

51 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

23 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

That I did not know. I know he was a little bit of "late bloomer" ... I'm curious of @AJS perspective on this because I do feel he's pretty locked in on the recruiting stuff. 

I'm a huge fan of next years class and really UND's pipeline in general. The Berry vs Minnesota (since Motzko) has been the one aspect that has bothered me the last few years. This does need a little further explanation, because yes, I am ignoring Perron for example (or Strathmann). One can assume that Minnesota most likely wanted them, but we really don't know that for sure. The same could be said for UND and Moore. I'm talking about guys where there have been articles about the other teams involved (ex: Knies / Broz) or Chesley where before he committed to UofM, it was quoted as saying he was down to UND / UofM. There was a dman recently that plays in Sioux Falls and UND was in his Top 3 (with Minnesota), you can guess where he picked. I'm not saying that Minnesota was never interested in any of UND's recruits, but I never remember seeing (outside of Kleven) an article recently that lists UofM as one of the other top candidates of a UND recruit. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm a huge fan of next years class and really UND's pipeline in general. The Berry vs Minnesota (since Motzko) has been the one aspect that has bothered me the last few years. This does need a little further explanation, because yes, I am ignoring Perron for example (or Strathmann). One can assume that Minnesota most likely wanted them, but we really don't know that for sure. The same could be said for UND and Moore. I'm talking about guys where there have been articles about the other teams involved (ex: Knies / Broz) or Chesley where before he committed to UofM, it was quoted as saying he was down to UND / UofM. There was a dman recently that plays in Sioux Falls and UND was in his Top 3 (with Minnesota), you can guess where he picked. I'm not saying that Minnesota was never interested in any of UND's recruits, but I never remember seeing (outside of Kleven) an article recently that lists UofM as one of the other top candidates of a UND recruit. 

See stoney

told you 

26 minutes ago, AJS said:

Fair enough. I guess I usually just go off what I hear, but of course, those articles are usually directly from the recruit's mouth. I don't necessarily mean to poke the bear on the Motzko vs. Berry debate, I just always feel confident that Bubbs is doing everything he can. It is what it is. 

9 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

See stoney

told you 

Told me what? LOL he said he loves our pipeline and he's only commenting on players he knows that came down to UND and Minny. I've already given you examples of UND winning these battles 

8 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Thought you were an elite hockey mind

realists rule

Who said I was an elite hockey mind?!?! I'm just a guy on a forum like you, partner :)

58 minutes ago, AJS said:

Basically true. Moore was a layup with the Gophs, similar to snuggerud.

I like some of the kids we have in the pipeline too. It’s who we’re backfilling with that’s had me a click concerned. Sure we pluck some decent ones but we’ve whiffed a bit too and lost out on some other battles. Heck, maybe we get Cooley, extremely doubtful, but one can wish.

All things aside though, we’re always decent. And that’s all that matters.

35 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Fair enough. I guess I usually just go off what I hear, but of course, those articles are usually directly from the recruit's mouth. I don't necessarily mean to poke the bear on the Motzko vs. Berry debate, I just always feel confident that Bubbs is doing everything he can. It is what it is. 

True…it really is what it is. We have tradition and ridiculous facilities. However, the allure of some of those bigger more well known schooling has appeal…I get it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Can't think of any more recent than Boeser, and before that Gersich (neither Berry). But what that really requires is us poaching a top kid from the cities. Not easy, despite what anyone on here says to the contrary.

On the plus side, when was the last time they had a stud from Manitoba, which borders their state?

53 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Can't think of any more recent than Boeser, and before that Gersich (neither Berry). But what that really requires is us poaching a top kid from the cities. Not easy, despite what anyone on here says to the contrary.

On the plus side, when was the last time they had a stud from Manitoba, which borders their state?

They don’t really recruit Canada.  They’ve had a couple goalies from there, that’s it.

2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Mismash recently.  Guess I like a lot of the UND guys like Kawaguchi and Weatherby and how they were able to destroy the elite Minnesota talent in their own building.  Also love that UND sees the value of guys like Senden, whose uncle played for the gophers.  I consider those guys as misses for Minnesota.  Ditto for guys in the past like Connor Gaarder, Matt Henderson and Peter Armbrust, among many others.