SiouxSports.com Forum

Bengals vs Hawks Sept 14, 2024

Nodak78

Offense…well Freuchte might be a genius. While our offense is stacked in areas what he has put together in 3 games is impressive. I’m not sure if anyone has noticed but we lack in a few spots but the offense sure rolled today. Our 4 running backs do not get enough credit. You can say they are good but they are twice as good as that. Many runs they skip, step over or run through 2-3 blocks. Love seeing them take it to the house. I think Hunt averages a score every other carry. Huge props to the other 3 again.  Great blocking on edges they block like a FB from the TE. 

• Upvote 1

QB has been covered. Good competitor. Happy for Simon to have a good game. Just to point out Jerry was very successful at track and his slowest 40 time is a 4.7 so I’m pretty sure he can run and his arm is better than good. No idea why he isn’t being worked in. We put up with underachievement in one area then another area we have great competition amongst players. Lastly the o-line is quite interesting. I love the rotation at center and it’s basically taking two average players and making it a strength. Left side tackle and guard need to rotate two deep.  Thaden needs reps and he can’t be worse than the one playing. Make these guys work for their spots. Folland is rumored to be one of the best lineman on the team and our left guard needs the rest and be motivated. Right side needs to keep working hard and last week was very tired. This week against 230 lb D lineman it went good. Right guard gets rolled around a little too often. Love we have Seth Anderson on the team. He’s a quiet leader and great anchor. Overall great win! 

49 minutes ago, MinnDak said:

Good win. Took care of business. 
Defense is playing with some serious fire most of the game. There seems to be  competition amongst themselves and the intensity is very high. Way more pressure at the line the last two games than all of last year. The takeaways including pick 6 and two strip sacks are game changing plays. I do not like to see letting off the pressure and definitely some complacency that let to Idaho State scores but overall good. 50, 23, 27, 90, maybe a few more I missed and all the linebackers were really rolling. Average opponent at best but still a great win. 

Tough to keep the same intensity when you are up 38 points. Remember many were wringing their hands about this game. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Didn’t get to watch live but we mauled them to start. That was a glimpse of us having a legit defense for the first time in a long long time. Once that mobile qb got in there it was a nightmare though I do feel we did improve a bit later in the second half. Offensively I think the OC was trying to prove a point on film that will pay dividends in the future. We needed to show that stacking the box isn’t necessarily a good option against us and we did a decent, not great, job at that. Lots of improvement to be had on both sides but I see potential with a very inexperienced team. We will improve a ton over the course of the year. Romfro had some bad moments for sure but he got the job done. Jerry should’ve had 2 full series at the end at least. Bubba does a terrible job getting his backup qbs playing time. Even with romfro needing reps I can’t justify not getting the young guy some very valuable experience. Total joke. We left a lot of meat on the bone today and I hope the team is pissed off about that. We did not look good in the middle of this game and I hope Bubba and company are harping on that all week. It was a partially dominant win but we need to get to that next step mentally where we finish the job and grind them to dust down the stretch. Also, is there a mute button so I don’t have to sift through the keyboard diarrhea on this site? 

You're the eff'n best, gueax. My thoughts exactly.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Offensively I think the OC was trying to prove a point on film that will pay dividends in the future. We needed to show that stacking the box isn’t necessarily a good option against us and we did a decent, not great, job at that.

Was thinking that very same thing. 

23 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Didn’t get to watch live but we mauled them to start. That was a glimpse of us having a legit defense for the first time in a long long time. Once that mobile qb got in there it was a nightmare though I do feel we did improve a bit later in the second half. Offensively I think the OC was trying to prove a point on film that will pay dividends in the future. We needed to show that stacking the box isn’t necessarily a good option against us and we did a decent, not great, job at that. Lots of improvement to be had on both sides but I see potential with a very inexperienced team. We will improve a ton over the course of the year. Romfro had some bad moments for sure but he got the job done. Jerry should’ve had 2 full series at the end at least. Bubba does a terrible job getting his backup qbs playing time. Even with romfro needing reps I can’t justify not getting the young guy some very valuable experience. Total joke. We left a lot of meat on the bone today and I hope the team is pissed off about that. We did not look good in the middle of this game and I hope Bubba and company are harping on that all week. It was a partially dominant win but we need to get to that next step mentally where we finish the job and grind them to dust down the stretch. Also, is there a mute button so I don’t have to sift through the keyboard diarrhea on this site? 

UND won by 24 points; it was a very good win. Could it have been better? Absolutely - UND could have won by more, but that’s every week. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. 

I think getting Romfo all the reps is a good thing to a point. Remember, this was only his 3rd career start, and he may be playing for us for many more games in the future (he’s a junior) so development between him and Fruechte is key. 

It is early but it is starting to look like Coach Fruechte is an upgrade at offensive coordinator. Coach Olson for the OL is also doing a solid job. Major plus along with the strength and conditioning changes. 

Defensive effort in the second half was not ideal and needs to be looked at. No reason to give up 21 points in the second half, and need to defend the QB running game better. All in all, though, if giving up 21 points in the second half is the only major gripe, I think it was a solid performance. 

Now, speaking of no let downs, have to continue the momentum and keep the focus against San Diego and Murray State. 

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Well put. Hope they can make some adjustments to limit the running QBs, or we will have some problems with Cam Mattress Miller in a few weeks. We managed to limit him last year, so hopefully we can get juiced up enough to do it again. I think the key to that game will be clock control ... if we can keep going with those long slow drives and chew up clock it would be a big help, but that's a few weeks away yet.

I'd like to see some cleaner and dominant performances over the next two weeks. 

• Upvote 1

I like what I am seeing out of Fruechte so far. I'm not going to bash on Danny like some others on here. I get why he made the move and it will likely set him up well for the future.

Danny was creative and could pull out some really fun stuff, that being said sometimes it was like a kid playing video games. Not much thought to the full series or situation. I'm sure the thought and planning were there, maybe it just wasn't apparent with some of the calls.

Fruechte seems much more consistent in what he is doing. I was getting a little frustrated with all of the passing yesterday, especially later in the game, but he had a plan and it worked. Really looking forward to seeing how he does as the year goes on, especially with some of our bigger games against the other Dakota teams.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I like what I am seeing out of Fruechte so far. I'm not going to bash on Danny like some others on here. I get why he made the move and it will likely set him up well for the future.

Danny was creative and could pull out some really fun stuff, that being said sometimes it was like a kid playing video games. Not much thought to the full series or situation. I'm sure the thought and planning were there, maybe it just wasn't apparent with some of the calls.

Fruechte seems much more consistent in what he is doing. I was getting a little frustrated with all of the passing yesterday, especially later in the game, but he had a plan and it worked. Really looking forward to seeing how he does as the year goes on, especially with some of our bigger games against the other Dakota teams.

Now that we have gone away from trick plays every week I feel like we are going to hit on one in a big spot this year, particularly with how well we are running the ball and teams stacking the box against us.

11 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

and theeeeee worst throw I might have ever seen by a und QB.......

Screenshot 2024-09-14 10.03.11 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-14 10.03.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-14 10.02.46 PM.png

No-interceptions are worst throws QB can make, anybody that fantasizes about a guy who if has better tools but plays behind another is likely a guy coaches haven’t convinced the value of risk/reward of decisions. Some get it sooner, some get it later, some will always overestimate their ability to make something happen when there isn’t much there. 

2 hours ago, MinnDak said:

Good win. Took care of business. 
Defense is playing with some serious fire most of the game. There seems to be  competition amongst themselves and the intensity is very high. Way more pressure at the line the last two games than all of last year. The takeaways including pick 6 and two strip sacks are game changing plays. I do not like to see letting off the pressure and definitely some complacency that let to Idaho State scores but overall good. 50, 23, 27, 90, maybe a few more I missed and all the linebackers were really rolling. Average opponent at best but still a great win. 

I'm glad the 3rd QB for Idaho State didn't start or it would be a much difference game.  He threw for 4 TDs.  They will win some games.

12 hours ago, zonadub said:

Kaminski needs to get some real-game reps before NDSU. That will be a game where the Bison are going to try take Romfo out.

Once again I think Bubba's stubborn refusal to give a talented back-up quarterback any significant playing time is going to bite us = if not this year then the next.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s a major gripe of mine with him. It’s not new to Jerry. 

Yeah, don’t understand if he is so old school that he thinks it could possibly create a QB controversy and that Romfo is his guy.  The thing is that you are going to need the backup to perform at some juncture in the game today, especially when you have a running QB, and with the size and speed of players the QB is going to get dinged up at some point, even if only for a few series.

6 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s a major gripe of mine with him. It’s not new to Jerry. 

I also am perplexed on this not putting back up QB in, I remember Roger Thomas keeping the starting O-Line with the back up QB and go a least a series before subbing more O-Line. Great opportunity for live reps with starting o-line.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Serious questions... do you think this O line would give Jerry the pass protection he needs to do what you want? They have been good at run blocking, but even with Romfo (who can run well) when that pocket collapsed, it happened fast. Do Jerry have the ability and the mentality to escape fast AND make something happen? I have no doubt that with time he has the stronger (and maybe the more accurate) arm, but is the level of maturity and smarts there? Whatever the answer, he needs to at least get some game reps over the next two weeks (assuming we are in control of both games late.

we might never know...just like trey...we will never know.