SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Frozen Four

Dustin

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

All teams who have had more success than UND in the past 8 years. Also all of those teams except maybe the bostons have fanbases that could care less about hockey. UND needs to get back to winning playoff games before we can ever expect to win a championship again……..

This.....the only thing this institution has is hockey...they have given up on every other sport, except hockey..and for us to be an after thought in the national tournament is a joke...something has to change, and change soon

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

To your point, when people read ESPN today, they will be left with the understanding that college hockey titans are Denver (10), Michigan (9), Wisconsin (6), and the Boston schools tied at fourth with five titles a piece.

I guess I’ll hang my hat on the fact they forgot Minnesota too, but no mention of North Dakota’s 8 titles?

IMG_3915.thumb.png.f7c88aef919f2c0d254b5c2b58046365.png

Tied for fourth? Where are they getting their information, from Colby & Buccigross?

• Upvote 1

Inability to have a homegrown goalie is the one flaw I see the past few years. Bot having that puts pressure on everything else. The other thing, and it's painful to admit, but the Ralph was the end of the blue collar culture of our team and to an extent the fan base. We are now the cake eaters.  7 titles in the 42 seasons prior to its opening  One in the 23 since .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

Inability to have a homegrown goalie is the one flaw I see the past few years. Bot having that puts pressure on everything else. The other thing, and it's painful to admit, but the Ralph was the end of the blue collar culture of our team and to an extent the fan base. We are now the cake eaters.  7 titles in the 42 seasons prior to its opening  One in the 23 since .

So the Ralph is where players go to become cake eaters?

12 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

So the Ralph is where players go to become cake eaters?

Well, when a team doesn't show up for the first 10 minutes of the third in a regional game in which they had the lead I don't know what else to call it.  

I really think many people have a different understanding of how hocky "luck" happens.  You know, that odd bounce, that off someone's skate, or that puck that ends up where no one could predict.  If you play in your opponents end, put pucks on net, have men in front of the net or are just plain aggressive there is a much better chance that an odd bounce will happen.  The better you play the higher the odds of "luck".  Teams that are not in their end that much or don't put many shots on goal have a much lesser chance of the odd bounce.  Some teams put themselves in position for luck by being relentless.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, siouxweet said:

I will stop you there if/when Berry leaves it will not be filled by someone outside of the program.

And in two years, some of the fans here would be calling for that coach to be fired, too. You can bank on it. 

We went through this every year Hak was coach, too. Before Hak left I went on Jared Thomas’s show and he asked how long before the program fires him, and moves on from Hakstol? I said, Hak will move on at time of his choosing. Which he did. 

I said, “the university isn't going to fire him.“

Just for the record, players and their families read the message board. 

Regardless on how the season ended, I'll follow them no matter what happens. I’d be more upset with the current state of the football and basketball programs than hockey. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

And in two years, some of the fans here would be calling for that coach to be fired, too. You can bank on it. 

We went through this every year Hak was coach, too. Before Hak left I went on Jared Thomas’s show and he asked how long before the program fires him, and moves on from Hakstol? I said, Hak will move on at time of his choosing. Which he did. 

I said, “the university isn't going to fire him.“

Just for the record, players and their families read the message board. 

Regardless on how the season ended, I'll follow them no matter what happens. I’d be more upset with the current state of the football and basketball programs than hockey. 

Players and their parents shouldn’t read any fan board. Same goes for any sport football, basketball, etc. That’s player orientation 101.

What a waste of their time unless we really are the experts we all claim to be and maybe they should listen. Easy way to deal with criticism is to not read it!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

You 

Players and their parents shouldn’t read any fan board. Same goes for any sport football, basketball, etc. That’s player orientation 101.

What a waste of their time unless we really are the experts we all claim to be and maybe they should listen. Easy way to deal with criticism is to not read it!

Cam Johnson said he saw everything that was written about him. There's that. 

3 hours ago, sagard said:

This is my second 20-year drought between Gophers titles, so it's pretty comical to hear you all complain about 2016.  Any least you all didn't lose to QU.  

Sounds reasonable. 

27 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

That's the one tangible thing I think UND could be better at, a stronger goalie pipeline. 

I think that one area UND could improve in. 

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

#ferdaoxbow6!!!!!

Boy that team had some problems looking back.

Didn't a few of them respond to @MafiaMan sliding some of them DMs on the IG and/or hitting them up on Snap during period intermissions?? ;)

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Didn't a few of them respond to @MafiaMan sliding some of them DMs on the IG and/or hitting them up on Snap during period intermissions?? ;)

I believe that happened. ;) 

5 hours ago, sagard said:

This is my second 20 year drought between Gophers titles, so it's pretty comical to hear you all complain about 2016.  Any least you all didn't lose to QU.  

But then again, you’re talking about a fanbase that’s never experienced a 20-year title drought before, let alone 3 separate ones, in its program’s history.

Been out of pocket since Wednesday because had 4 UND Alums and one BC alum fly in for the Frozen Four.  Had 2 more local UND alums join us for the games in St Paul.  As a group (excluding the BC guy) we decided to cheer less for Michigan (because f*ck them) and DU (can't let them get too far ahead in Natty's) and semi-root for the Beanpot teams.  Crowds in St Paul were very manageable at the local taverns during the pre-game beerfest with good representation of jerseys from the college hockey world.  Saw a group with West Virginia jerseys on; guessing they are Club level?  DU of course finds a way in the first game; attendance announced at over 19k; must have been paid attendance and not actual. (lotsa open seats)  Celebrini not that noticeable.  BC, in the second game, absolutely crushes Michigan.  Very impressive display from the Eagles; they looked very crisp and their breakouts just killed Michigan. 

Friday was our off day and was reserved for playing pool, griling on the patio and drinking beer.  Saturday in St Paul found us at McGoverns again after striking out against a packed crowd at Tom Reids.  May have been the Neal Broten signing there that drew the big crowd.  It was a little more crowded on Saturday; most of the Michigan fans around us had magically been replaced by BC fans.

I thought BC would have no problem with DU but the Pios really stepped up their game and dominated the first period.  Getting that first goal in the second was huge for Denver; and Davis stood on his head.  BC only had 12 shots after 2 periods and were chasing the game in the third.  BC really dominated DU in the third but Davis was not to be solved.  So Congrats to Denver...ugh, just threw up in my mouth a little.  

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

That's the one tangible thing I think UND could be better at, a stronger goalie pipeline. 

And I still claim it was broken when Scheel left after three seasons. It started the string of portal guys. It had been a strength before that. 

Get through this season and they should be back to a two-year gap rotation (Hobie a junior and Heil a freshman). 

• Upvote 2