SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Frozen Four

Dustin

42 minutes ago, burd said:

Amid all the anguish, jealousy, and frustration of watching UND exit early and DU hang another banner, there was some fabulous college hockey to watch in this Tournament.  And love of college hockey is an important reason why we are here.   

You are absolutely correct!! The games were awesome. What amazed me the most was the fans of the game from everywhere else wearing their favorite school jerseys. GREEN was a predominant color in the stands, BC had a lot of fans and a really good pep band. Denver did have a respectable amount of fans and a pep band (who knew?). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sweethockey said:

You are absolutely correct!! The games were awesome. What amazed me the most was the fans of the game from everywhere else wearing their favorite school jerseys. GREEN was a predominant color in the stands, BC had a lot of fans and a really good pep band. Denver did have a respectable amount of fans and a pep band (who knew?). 

According to GPL, the Denver pep band was actually the Edina H.S. pep band. Funny if true that the most successful college hockey program needs a loaner from the local high school.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sweethockey said:

Denver hasn't had a pep  band in a few years now.  Enrollment is similar to UND? You'd think they'd have enough students for a band. 

33 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Denver hasn't had a pep  band in a few years now.  Enrollment is similar to UND? You'd think they'd have enough students for a band. 

DU's enrollment would almost fit in Magness (about 6100). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, .357 said:

According to GPL, the Denver pep band was actually the Edina H.S. pep band. Funny if true that the most successful college hockey program needs a loaner from the local high school.

Wonder where they rented the cheerleaders from too?

17 hours ago, Irish said:

I really think many people have a different understanding of how hocky "luck" happens.  You know, that odd bounce, that off someone's skate, or that puck that ends up where no one could predict.  If you play in your opponents end, put pucks on net, have men in front of the net or are just plain aggressive there is a much better chance that an odd bounce will happen.  The better you play the higher the odds of "luck".  Teams that are not in their end that much or don't put many shots on goal have a much lesser chance of the odd bounce.  Some teams put themselves in position for luck by being relentless.

did commodore or greene leave people open in the front of the net with paying for it...before or after whislte or both

its a mindset

30 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

did commodore or greene leave people open in the front of the net with paying for it...before or after whislte or both

its a mindset

for the sake of argument, if you could teleportish Greene and Commie back to ice for the current team, how many penalty minutes would the get in a season?  would they make it to the post season or be sitting game for incurring penalties?  the game, for better or worse, is not like that anymore.

18 minutes ago, tnt said:

Would have been nice to hear from Schlossman about UND's shortcomings down the stretch rather than saying they weren't far off.

I hope you weren't expecting objectivity from him about the program's extended playoff woes. No need to crucify big B, but he could have at least asked him why his team looked like they had been injected with horse tranquilizers during the 2nd intermission of their last game. And maybe also ask him what he might do differently next year to avoid another implosion in the playoffs. You don't fix a problem by avoiding it.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, .357 said:

I hope you weren't expecting objectivity from him about the program's extended playoff woes. No need to crucify big B, but he could have at least asked him why his team looked like they had been injected with horse tranquilizers during the 2nd intermission of their last game. And maybe also ask him what he might do differently next year to avoid another implosion in the playoffs. You don't fix a problem by avoiding it.

Need Paul Ralston to ask the tough questions about their "choke job"!  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

And I still claim it was broken when Scheel left after three seasons. It started the string of portal guys. It had been a strength before that. 

Get through this season and they should be back to a two-year gap rotation (Hobie a junior and Heil a freshman). 

There was just Scheel, Feeney, and Thome and when Scheel left and Thome transferred the team went and brought in 3 goalies. 

If they bring in Heil next year, they still need to bring in Johnson's replacement. Right now, Karl needs to get 2 goalies in the pipeline, and I hope he tried to flip Slukynsky from NMU. 

47 minutes ago, cberkas said:

There was just Scheel, Feeney, and Thome and when Scheel left and Thome transferred the team went and brought in 3 goalies. 

If they bring in Heil next year, they still need to bring in Johnson's replacement. Right now, Karl needs to get 2 goalies in the pipeline, and I hope he tried to flip Slukynsky from NMU. 

Johnson's replacement will be another servicable, low-cost practice puck eater. (Now make me wrong.) 

17 hours ago, Goon said:

Cam Johnson said he saw everything that was written about him. There's that. 

Should individual players be called out for their performance? No, but it’s going to happen if you actually have a fanbase that cares enough to go on a message board. Some of the criticism is out of line but some really isn’t. They could have proved me wrong down the stretch by playing better defense and back checking harder but I guess they rather just prove me right…….

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Scheel (jr), Thome (sr), and Feeney became Driscoll, Hellsten, Johnson, and Feeney. 
Scheel leaving early was the tripwire. 

3 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

for the sake of argument, if you could teleportish Greene and Commie back to ice for the current team, how many penalty minutes would the get in a season?  would they make it to the post season or be sitting game for incurring penalties?  the game, for better or worse, is not like that anymore.

its not how many minutes they would/could get but rather how scard the other teams MVP's would be and not want to be around the goal crease if those guys were out there....sometimes a common 2 minute penalty and some chirping can go a long way.

30 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Scheel (jr), Thome (sr), and Feeney became Driscoll, Hellsten, Johnson, and Feeney. 
Scheel leaving early was the tripwire. 

Scheel leaving as a junior should been planned for, but no replacement was there. Feeney was brought in for an injury to Thome, after they tried to get Vernon to come in (halfway through the season). Hoby was too far out to replace Scheel. 

I'll say the problems with the goalie pipeline go back to Tomek, Karki and Rowe, Tomak didn't develop and left and still didn't play, Karki ruined is career and was kicked off the U17 team, and Rowe decommitted. Scheel replaced Karki.

So, if these 3 worked out Tomek and Karki together in 2018-19 at the earliest, but most likely Karki would have come in 2019-20 with Rowe coming in 2020-21. These three not working out lead Berry to go to the portal a 4th time for a goalie. I wouldn't be surprised if going to the portal for a goalie continues.

4 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

One Billion Minutes

C480FA75-B7B5-4366-9609-D8830A52640C.jpeg

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

its not how many minutes they would/could get but rather how scard the other teams MVP's would be and not want to be around the goal crease if those guys were out there....sometimes a common 2 minute penalty and some chirping can go a long way.

You missed my point. You're living in the past.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Their enrollment must be down then? Google says around 11,000 for 2016

This post shows you how much things have changed since 2016.  What else has changed since that year?