SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Frozen Four

Dustin

56 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

But most of those teams have multiple wins in the post season unlike our favorite team. I have said this before I think Berry puts way to much emphasis on the regular season box checking and they have nothing left in the tank. Should worry about playing their best hockey when it counts. His record is his. He has changed assistants , players etc with same results. 

Yeah I'd much rather have been to the Frozen Four a few times and lost to Quinnipiac in OT last year vs winning our title In 2016. Is that what we're saying?

Feel like I'm being gaslit every time I come on this website because the bolded is exactly why everyone wanted to run Hakstol out of town.  Now we're content hanging some postseason win banners even if it means a 20-30 year NCAA Title drought?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was one who wanted Hak out.

I still believe that had he stayed on as coach there would not have been a Natty.

Call it bad luck, a hot goalie, but something ALWAYS got in the way of a Title.

But now he can’t even win a post season game , they beat Omaha in St. Paul we play is Sioux Falls in front of a packed house full of UND fans. I think Berry is a great guy just not a good head coach (in the post season #penarose)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

YES!  It's called preparation, coaching and BUYING INTO those 2 things.  Winner Winner 10 TIME CHICKEN DINNER for Denver...denver?  YES DENVER!!!  

Carle is a hell of a good coach.  I wonder when an NHL team will snag him? 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

For DU to win that natty to get to 10 without a nap room, anti gravity beds, the Penrose and a portal goalie is pretty impressive. 

You think people care, we win the regular season. The scary part is DU can bring almost the whole team back ,one of the youngest in the NCAA. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

YES!  It's called preparation, coaching and BUYING INTO those 2 things.  Winner Winner 10 TIME CHICKEN DINNER for Denver...denver?  YES DENVER!!!  

Wait. I thought it was all a nickname thing?

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Feel like I'm being gaslit every time I come on this website because the bolded is exactly why everyone wanted to run Hakstol out of town.  Now we're content hanging some postseason win banners even if it means a 20-30 year NCAA Title drought?

If fans were calling for Hakstol’s job due to lack of frozen four success it only makes sense for them to call for Berry’s job due to lack of NCAA tournament success altogether.  In their eyes, the program has taken a step backwards.  I haven’t seen anyone advocate for post season win banners, lol.  They would, however, at least like to see the program get back to winning some NCAA playoff games.

I know it’s the buzzword of the day, but I don’t see this as gaslighting at all.  Their arguments are consistent.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Before this thread dies out, congratulations to one of the best college hockey fans ever:  Puck Swami.  He has been a diehard Pio fan and a fan of all college hockey programs for a long, long time and is probably feeling pretty good right now. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

If fans were calling for Hakstol’s job due to lack of frozen four success it only makes sense for them to call for Berry’s job due to lack of NCAA tournament success altogether.  In their eyes, the program has taken a step backwards.  I haven’t seen anyone advocate for post season win banners, lol.  They would, however, at least like to see the program get back to winning some NCAA playoff games.

I know it’s the buzzword of the day, but I don’t see this as gaslighting at all.  Their arguments are consistent.

How is it consistent to under Hakstol saying we could never win the big one so he has to go, then turn around and say look at BU, BC, Mich, Mich St, Wisconsin, and Minnesota and at least they have tournament wins! You gotta follow the conversation, I wasn't comparing Hakstol to Berry but to all these other blue blood programs that haven't won a title for up to 26 freaking years. But at least they have some tournament wins, right?

Rieger Lorenz spent his whole post game interview where he could have talked about his goal instead praising his coach. Carle clearly connects with his players unlike anything we've ever had. Simpson is our equivalent alum ascendant in the world of coaching, please hold on to him.

48 minutes ago, tnt said:

I was never in the fire Hak crowd, as I loved being relevant every year and having North Dakota being in the national spotlight. It certainly helps recruiting when you are in the Frozen Four every year and the media raves about the program. How many times do you hear North Dakota even mentioned during the tourney as a team that was going to be a significant threat?

It also keeps the fanbase involved knowing their team is going to be competitive every year.  People would make plans for regional tickets early on, and while many still do the same, most are making plans on how to sell their tickets because UND doesn’t make the tournament, or implode so they don’t get to their desired regional.

So as long as the above schools don’t win a title, even though most of them have been quite relevant, we should be fine with not making the tournament or first round exits?

No wonder people are fine with Denver winning it all, they have relegated themselves that UND will never catch Denver and Michigan to allow them to be considered the premier program in the country.  Maybe we should cheer for Denver every year to make sure none of those other schools win it, so we can say 10 years down the road that at least those schools haven’t won it either.

I get it, there are a lot of things that need to go right to win 4 games in the tournament very often, but there needs to be some expectation for a program like ours to make a run and win a couple games consistently.  I don’t consider Air Force to be a team that we should need to catch for tourney wins over the last 7-8 years.

Agree 100%.  The expectation should be have a good regular season, be in the hunt every season for the Penrose, in a 10 year span make 3-5 Frozen Fours with at least one title mixed in there.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Rieger Lorenz spent his whole post game interview where he could have talked about his goal instead praising his coach. Carle clearly connects with his players unlike anything we've ever had. Simpson is our equivalent alum ascendant in the world of coaching, please hold on to him.

simpson over karl?

39 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

How is it consistent to under Hakstol saying we could never win the big one so he has to go, then turn around and say look at BU, BC, Mich, Mich St, Wisconsin, and Minnesota and at least they have tournament wins! You gotta follow the conversation, I wasn't comparing Hakstol to Berry but to all these other blue blood programs that haven't won a title for up to 26 freaking years. But at least they have some tournament wins, right?

It wouldn’t be.

But after all, SIOUXELEVENS was talking about UND’s current coach, Brad Berry, who can’t even claim to have NCAA tournament wins over the last 8 seasons like some of those blue bloods. 

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I was never in the fire Hak crowd, as I loved being relevant every year and having North Dakota being in the national spotlight. It certainly helps recruiting when you are in the Frozen Four every year and the media raves about the program. How many times do you hear North Dakota even mentioned during the tourney as a team that was going to be a significant threat?

To your point, when people read ESPN today, they will be left with the understanding that college hockey titans are Denver (10), Michigan (9), Wisconsin (6), and the Boston schools tied at fourth with five titles a piece.

I guess I’ll hang my hat on the fact they forgot Minnesota too, but no mention of North Dakota’s 8 titles?

IMG_3915.thumb.png.f7c88aef919f2c0d254b5c2b58046365.png

3 hours ago, shep said:

I was one who wanted Hak out.

I still believe that had he stayed on as coach there would not have been a Natty.

Call it bad luck, a hot goalie, but something ALWAYS got in the way of a Title.

I never called for Hak’s head once. He had us as a top team in the country every year. Can the same be said for Berry? No. We may not be buying Berry out but if he can’t make major changes we need to move on!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I never called for Hak’s head once. He had us as a top team in the country every year. Can the same be said for Berry? No. We may not be buying Berry out but if he can’t make major changes we need to move on!

And replace him with who? I hang up and listen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, SJHovey said:

Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, BC, BU. Every blue blood except Denver. Teams with an embarrassment of talent, riches and advantages. And all with a longer period of natty futility than UND, an apparent washed up has been.

Shut them down. They should be ashamed of themselves.

All teams who have had more success than UND in the past 8 years. Also all of those teams except maybe the bostons have fanbases that could care less about hockey. UND needs to get back to winning playoff games before we can ever expect to win a championship again……..

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Goon said:

You don't think that we would get many qualified applicants?   Many coaches would love to have our budget, fanbase, and facilities.  A big problem is that we don't see anything changing - just culture, culture, culture.  Case in point - we have a top notch goalie coach yet we are on our 4th portal goalie.  Meanwhile in Denver they had a goalie who developed in their system lead them to a championship.  And I know we have a high school goalie in the system.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Goon said:

Berry isn’t the best coach in the country, he is replaceable. We could get any of the top coaches in the country to come to UND and make a top salary with the top facilities in the country. Berry could leave tomorrow for the NHL and many of us would be elated.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Berry could leave tomorrow for the NHL and many of us would be elated.

At the very least, we wouldn't have to go round in circles with this conversation for the rest of the summer.  ;) 

16 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

All teams who have had more success than UND in the past 8 years.

If all that matters is national titles...all those teams have had the same success as UND in that timespan.
Unless we're hanging banners for tourney appearances and tourney wins now.  :)

15 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Berry isn’t the best coach in the country, he is replaceable. We could get any of the top coaches in the country to come to UND and make a top salary with the top facilities in the country. Berry could leave tomorrow for the NHL and many of us would be elated.

I will stop you there if/when Berry leaves it will not be filled by someone outside of the program.