SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

BB needs to lean into developing a goalie. IMO it is Hobie from here on out. He's a recruit. Has shown upside. Roll with him. This plug and play portal nonsense needs to end. Where has this gotten them??

I’d be fine with that too. 
Hobie looked good in his limited action. Aside from a couple ones he might want back in his last game against UNO, I think he showed he’d be a more than capable starting goalie. 
Would still need a capable backup to join Johnson (if Persson departs as has been hinted at)…so either another recruit or portal grab for one season until Heil can come in. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I’d be fine with that too. 
Hobie looked good in his limited action. Aside from a couple ones he might want back in his last game against UNO, I think he showed he’d be a more than capable starting goalie. 
Would still need a capable backup to join Johnson (if Persson departs as has been hinted at)…so either another recruit or portal grab for one season until Heil can come in. 

It might just be my opinion, but I think Heil might need 2 more years of development. Can’t see us bringing in a true freshman at goalie. So if there’s an underclassman goalie in the portal that’s capable of taking some starts for us, that would be my preference. Otherwise I’d recruit another goalie instead of continuing with the portal bandaids every year. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

BB needs to lean into developing a goalie. IMO it is Hobie from here on out. He's a recruit. Has shown upside. Roll with him. This plug and play portal nonsense needs to end. Where has this gotten them??

With our tradition and Karl on staff I am truly amazed that we are continually portal shopping for a goalie.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, .357 said:

The question remains why UND in particular is affected by what could be be late-season mental fatigue, this year & others, compared to other teams. Watching Quinnipiac's first game this weekend they were flying all over the ice from start to finish; strong on the puck & never giving up on a play. Other teams are also going strong during the tournament & keeping the pedal to the metal. This contrasted with UND collectively shutting down for most of the third period against MI, like someone slipped sleeping pills in their Gatorade during the second intermission.

The baffling thing is, this lack of edge (if that's what it is) is affecting most of the team, not just a few players who may be burned out at the end of a long season. Going by recent years, maybe the team could start investing in a sports psychologist if they haven't already. UND has all the bells & whistles in REA to train & rest the body; maybe it would be wise to invest equally in the players' mental health to make sure they're locked & loaded between the ears come late March.

They already have one and a therapy dog!

53 minutes ago, Irish said:

With our tradition and Karl on staff I am truly amazed that we are continually portal shopping for a goalie.  

It’s because of the pressure being put on by the fan base. I believe there is very little room for development at that position. Must. When. Now. No mistakes allowed!

1 minute ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

It’s because of the pressure being put on by the fan base. I believe there is very little room for development at that position. Must. When. Now. No mistakes allowed!

I'm not so sure I buy that - almost all of the other top teams develop good goalies - We should be able to sell our coaches and program to great goalies who (at least in theory) have a chance to win a National Championship.  I can't believe how this is an issue year after year.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Could it be that the stress of expectations on North Dakota is too much for some? It would honestly be understandable. Think about how those kids feel before every game and after every loss.

All the more reason not to shut down.

13 minutes ago, Irish said:

I'm not so sure I buy that - almost all of the other top teams develop good goalies - We should be able to sell our coaches and program to great goalies who (at least in theory) have a chance to win a National Championship.  I can't believe how this is an issue year after year.  

Never used to be a issue until after Scheel left. We used to always have 2 goalies capable of starting. The pipeline of goalies was strong 

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

100%

Still gotta have a #2 that isn't Kaleb Johnson and has some experience with what the team could be next season.  Sigh....portal goalie. 

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

100%

Still gotta have a #2 that isn't Kaleb Johnson and has some experience with what the team could be next season.  Sigh....portal goalie. 

Are we certain that Persson is moving on to the pro ranks?  If he stays, they run a rotation with him and Hobie.

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

Are we certain that Persson is moving on to the pro ranks?  If he stays, they run a rotation with him and Hobie.

I haven't heard either way.  Just going on the assumption that he signs somewhere. 

I think one of the big keys next year will be how dynamic, offensively, Strathman and Emery can be, and how quickly they get there. I’ve always believed that the 2016 championship was more about the deep puck moving and passing skill we had on the blue line than it was about one top forward line. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

I think one of the big keys next year will be how dynamic, offensively, Strathman and Emery can be, and how quickly they get there. I’ve always believed that the 2016 championship was more about the deep puck moving and passing skill we had on the blue line than it was about one top forward line. 

Emery hasn’t been a huge offensive threat, but if he can move the puck efficiently and take care of his own end like Zmolek, it could be huge to free up Wiebe to up his game and with Strathmann and Livanavage we should have a bit more offensive upside than this year.  If we did get a transfer like Pohlkamp look out!

Anyone have their hypothetical lineup sheet set? Assuming Blake is back and Gaber is gone.

James-Omac-Kunz

Perron-Berg-Blake

Swanson-Jammer-Strinden

Boisvert-Schmaltz -Montgomery 

Croal;Littler

Livanavage-Zmolek

Emery-Weibe

???????????? I have no clue as to what the rest of the lineup will look like.

Throw Hedquist in, I guess.

36 minutes ago, burd said:

"Good morning, Jackson, how are you feeling today?"

"Well, I've been visiting ss.com again."

"Oh, my."  Pushes line 2 on phone:  "Marie, cancel my 10 o'clock; Jackson and I will need a little extra time today."

Why any of them would be on this site, is beyond me. Just focus on your game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

Seriously though, many pro teams have a sports psychologist. If we are trying to be a pro team with all our amenities it would make sense to have a sports psychologist. Maybe even share them across the other non-hockey sports :silly:

UND does have one and I believe she works with multiple sports.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

Seriously though, many pro teams have a sports psychologist. If we are trying to be a pro team with all our amenities it would make sense to have a sports psychologist. Maybe even share them across the other non-hockey sports :silly:

Maybe get this guy’s dad…

image.gif.ce0808662df747d1bd4c9dbe4213afa7.gif

UND had last change Friday night. Berry controlled matchups.
So why juggle the lines when you can put out your choice against McGroarty et al. 

It's like Berry was reacting when he should've been driving/controlling. 

Or were we more hurt/ill than we were led on. 

• Upvote 2