SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA tilt: UND vs the Maize and Blue

Oxbow6

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

they got the wrong und in their conference right now.......

Notre Dame fits in very well with them. High end school with a giant athletics department. 

22 hours ago, LuvHockey said:

If only….

split with CC and Omaha….

play UMass and Cornell ….

get a better route to FF (like Denver)…

but not to be and season over. 

And that should be the lesson to the arrogant taintlicker wannabes who think they're so high and mighty making fun of the people on socials who made a big deal out of the team pissing away these games.

Well guess what Sherlock the sky kinda did fall, and it was a big deal and it did end up costing a whole heck of a lot.

But.... duckies amd bunnies right?

Went back to the "line change".

at 4:11 Michigan iced the puck.

faceoff in the o zone (schmaltz lined up in front of Michigan goalie-weird)

3:32 have possession in the o zone and schmaltz goes skating off towards the bench

3:29 everyone other that livanagage goes for a line change

3:27 linavange turns it over behind the net

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I'm not drinking the B1G kool-aid, that was more a reaction to Goon's post. There were a lot of people that expected the B1G to take over college hockey as soon as they were formed. They haven't but they have gotten better. And will continue to be good, as will BC, BU, etc. I'm very concerned that NIL (especially) and free agency will make it very hard for UND to keep up. The bigger cities and schools have a far bigger pool to draw money from and NIL hasn't really affected hockey much yet. And I don't see another Ralph Engelstad out there. 

NCHC teams have won five of the past seven NCAA championships!! A Big Ten team hasn’t won since 2007!!! UND has realistically the financially strongest franchise in college hockey. Every UND game is sold out, in a larger arena than most teams play in. UND has an incredible fan following.
The NCHC is still the strongest league in college hockey. Sure, it will ebb and flow a bit. The east coast teams tend to get favored tournament schedules, but year after year NCHC teams have dominant pairwise rankings. 
I watch a lot of college hockey, and I think the competition and entertainment value in the NCHC is second to none. Colorado College also belonged in the current tournament. Who thinks RIT is a better team than CC? Who thinks Northern Michigan is a better team than CC? 
With Arizona State entering the NCHC, our product will be even better. Greater competition, tougher to win championships. But, I see it as a good thing. The NCHC is strong and getting stronger. 

15 hours ago, LuvHockey said:

If only….

split with CC and Omaha….

play UMass and Cornell ….

get a better route to FF (like Denver)…

but not to be and season over. 

Those results put UND as the 1 in SF, but UMass would still be hosting in Springfield.

18 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Wouldn't UND be a likely beneficiary of NIL since it's maybe the only hockey blueblood school with a large fanbase where hockey is king?

There are probably a good amount of grads living well that can chip in (I plan to), but NIL is really driven by aristocrats that can't afford the $1 billion+ price tags for pro teams these days, so they "buy" their favorite college team.  

My opinions:

1. For the past several years UND has been average. I believe this really started with the type of players recruited around the same time as the new Ralph. The UND style-game has been more pro-style with bigger bodied, less-dynamic players (generalization: there have been obvious exceptions) whose games translate very well to the heavy NHL style.
2. Look at the offensive skill on Michigan vs UND. The guys they’ve had the past several years are unreal. It’s like U20 grad program. Dyneamic NHLers. Not grinders. 
3. Same for the Gophers, BC, and BU. How many 1st-2nd rounders play on those teams? Game-breakers… Jackson Blake is close, but he is not Lane Hutson, Celebrini, Gautier, Snuggerud, Willander, Moore, etc. Shoot, I think Bemidji’s young defenseman is better than our best.

4. Why doesn’t UND have those players? I honestly can’t believe it. It should reload with 3-4 first rounders every year for all the reasons touched on in this thread: facilities, tradition, fan-base, finances. Used to have the game-breakers, always had a stud or 2 that were always threats to score. I haven’t seen that for a long time.

6 minutes ago, planetearth said:

Same for the Gophers, BC, and BU. How many 1st-2nd rounders play on those teams? Game-breakers… Jackson Blake is close, but he is not Lane Hutson, Celebrini, Gautier, Snuggerud, Willander, Moore, etc.

Snuggerud and Moore? I would take Blake over those two and Willander. Heck I’d take OMac over them as well. :)

17 minutes ago, planetearth said:

My opinions:

1. For the past several years UND has been average. I believe this really started with the type of players recruited around the same time as the new Ralph. The UND style-game has been more pro-style with bigger bodied, less-dynamic players (generalization: there have been obvious exceptions) whose games translate very well to the heavy NHL style.
2. Look at the offensive skill on Michigan vs UND. The guys they’ve had the past several years are unreal. It’s like U20 grad program. Dyneamic NHLers. Not grinders. 
3. Same for the Gophers, BC, and BU. How many 1st-2nd rounders play on those teams? Game-breakers… Jackson Blake is close, but he is not Lane Hutson, Celebrini, Gautier, Snuggerud, Willander, Moore, etc. Shoot, I think Bemidji’s young defenseman is better than our best.

4. Why doesn’t UND have those players? I honestly can’t believe it. It should reload with 3-4 first rounders every year for all the reasons touched on in this thread: facilities, tradition, fan-base, finances. Used to have the game-breakers, always had a stud or 2 that were always threats to score. I haven’t seen that for a long time.

Really, reload with 3-4 first rounders?   How many first rounders is Minnesota going to get this year?  How many first rounders go the college route in an average year?  And you do realize before the new Ralph we rarely got 1st round talent.  Look at our 1997 and 2000 teams and show me all the first round talent.

5 hours ago, tnt said:

Really, reload with 3-4 first rounders?   How many first rounders is Minnesota going to get this year?  How many first rounders go the college route in an average year?

A lot more now than 20 years ago.

edit: 9 first rounders last year playing/signed for college hockey. 3 playing in B10, 6 in HE.

3 hours ago, planetearth said:

My opinions:

UND is just an average program now. Average coaching, average players, average expectations, average results, average facilities? Players want to play for the top big time programs 

• Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

UND is just an average program now. Average coaching, average players, average expectations, average results, average facilities? Players want to play for the top big time programs 

Disagree- They are slightly above average.  Like a minuscule amount over. 

Has anyone done less with more than UND Hockey the last 20 years?  

• Upvote 2

Just now, UND1983 said:

Disagree- They are slightly above average.  Like a minuscule amount over. 

Has anyone done less with more than UND Hockey the last 20 years?  

zajac, Duncan , and oshie are all on line 3 waiting to answer that 20 year question.....

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

PWR 6 … average … < facepalm > … 

All this tournament showed is the NCHC wasn’t that good and the pairwise isn’t as accurate as hockey nuts think it is.  

What a year!!

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

PWR 6 … average … < facepalm > … 

They are were one of the first 8 out (again) in the NCAAs. Definitely average of the 16 team field. Not making the tournament is just completely unacceptable.

The program fundamentals are fine but it’s time for the next generation to lead.

Bubs could be the dad of … the coaches of Denver and Michigan. He should not be being nice dad to his players. He should be coach. Hak learned that lesson in the Judy’s parking lot. 

12 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

All this tournament showed is the NCHC wasn’t that good and the pairwise isn’t as accurate as hockey nuts think it is.  

What a year!!

Top three in pwr are in Frozen Four. Hard to say it isn’t accurate 

• Upvote 3