SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA tilt: UND vs the Maize and Blue

Oxbow6

plus i think only one or two people have pointed out that schmaltz of all people was on the ice in those last few minutes?  odd

and was livinaganage the best option for that 1 timer late in the game...was that by chance he was over there or by choice....odd

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Do you have any evidence that this approach is a working methodology in the current era?  Is there some NCAA program Hanging banners with this approach?

Or do you study Slapshot & Miracle several times a week in anticipation that UND will tap your shoulder to lead them to the promised land?

yes, yes, and hell yes.

11 minutes ago, fargosioux said:

Thanks for educating me on how recruiting works! I had no idea before that.

So you are on the side of some NCAA tournament wins and no title for over 20 years. Thanks for the clarification. 

No problem, when I see someone that isn’t very educated I try to help out.

28 minutes ago, tnt said:

So why not go a step further and miss the post season all together and just win every ten years or so.  Don’t know if you understand how recruiting works, but great players tend to go to teams that are in the picture for national championships.  Oh, and sometimes players stay another year to get it done when they seem so close to tasting it.  Doesn’t seem so close to tasting it.  I hope everyone stays, but I could see a few contemplate leaving.  Wonder what Berg is thinking coming off a nice season.

Serious question- How is losing to a team like Michigan by ONE GOAL not being in the mix for a title?  Let’s stop pretending like they lost to the 16 seed.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Armchair Expert said:

Serious question- How is losing to a team like Michigan by ONE GOAL not being in the mix for a title?  Let’s stop pretending like they lost to the 16 seed.

11 hours ago, Big A HG said:

Since my other thread was deleted despite it being just facts. :glare:

image.png.34de254c485ecaf9d17ac07e94be3e1b.png

I don’t call this in the mix.  So Air Force has been in the mix more than us for a National title?

33 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Air Force and Penn St have more NCAA wins than UND since 2017

It was 16 years between the last titles.  We are 8 years removed from that one.  By 2008 UND had 12 NCAA wins,  5 Frozen Fours and two title game appearances.   UND as we all know has 1 NCAA tournament win in these 8 years. 

7 minutes ago, Armchair Expert said:

Actually we should have been playing a 4 seed not Michigan but not only couldn't we get it done against Omaha they pounded us. 

6 minutes ago, Armchair Expert said:

Oh, and by the way, why did they have to play Michigan again?  Losing 5 of 7 down the stretch, beating the powerhouse Miami might have something to do with that.  Hey, I was one of Berry’s defenders, but at some point that graph speaks for itself.

• Upvote 2

We arguably played our best hockey at the Ralph during the DU series. Now whether or not that was more about DU having a bad weekend or us playing really well or combination of the two, we seemed to regress after that. So who is to blame for that, well I suppose that can be debated but it is really unfortunate. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This doesn’t answer my question.

Because championship teams don't come into the 3rd period with a lead and then immediately collapse within the first 5 minutes.

• Upvote 4

I’m just as upset as the next fan. Trying to keep in perspective that this team’s expectations 365 days ago were a bit unknown losing what they did on the back end. 

But when they exceed those expectations by being dominant in the regular season it’s a tough pill when they fail to win when it counts. Hopefully next season will have the same success but carry it further and make STL. But the regional losses are not a good trend. 

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

Because championship teams don't come into the 3rd period with a lead and then immediately collapse within the first 5 minutes.

not sure if it's a collapse bc the means something unexpected/unplanned happened.....bubs was playing not to lose with the lead......fifteen minutes in it was 15-1 shots for michingan....that's by choice imo.....he wanted that 2-1 win and pulled a "motzko"

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

not sure if it's a collapse bc the means something unexpected/unplanned happened.....bubs was playing not to lose with the lead......fifteen minutes in it was 15-1 shots for michingan....that's by choice imo.....he wanted that 2-1 win and pulled a "motzko"

And these obviously aren’t games you can do that. Pedal to the metal all game, take no prisoners. Or you lose. WMU on line 2. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Irish said:

Many frustrations about this - how did we devolve from the shot blocking shut down team that stymied Denver early in the year into the team that got it handed to them by Omaha and CC?  How did our goaltending go from lights out to the point where we hope it was average.  Berry has shown zero evidence that he can make the necessary changes - or any evidence that he even recognizes the problem.  And don't expect anything from the AD - you know, the guy who thought Football Bubba was doing such a great job he extended it twice.  Absolutely no demand for excellence from our Athletics any more.  Our hockey program can't continue on this track - we need to be able to sell our program to talent and I don't think "hey, we won the Penrose" can be our big recruiting point.  Changes need to be made and right now that falls on Berry.  

1. Denver is a very young team that has since developed.

2. Both omaha and cc have been on a development curve (omaha for 7 years, cc for 2). They are solid teams now.

3. BB has not failed in my opinion, what has changed has the NCAA competitive curve. We haven’t gotten worse, “they” got better. There are *more* good players today, development is growing.

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

The Omaha weekend told me all I needed to know about the leadership of this team. They were never winning a tournament game. 

When you have Schmaltz saying how proud he is of the team, and saying they came out flat in the 3rd in the same breath, while getting outshot 15-1 early in the period, shows the disconnect.  How do you come out flat in a period when you have one period to move on to a regional final?  Berry basically said the same.  But they did try to respond after they came out flat, so we all should be proud like they are.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

1. Denver is a very young team that has since developed.

2. Both omaha and cc have been on a development curve (omaha for 7 years, cc for 2). They are solid teams now.

3. BB has not failed in my opinion, what has changed has the NCAA competitive curve. We haven’t gotten worse, “they” got better. There are *more* good players today, development is growing.

And we "developed" backwards this season.

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Or maybe Michigan is a good team and it is unrealistic to expect a team like that won’t control portions of a game, especially after a terrible bounce provides a huge momentum shift?

I just think it interesting that everyone pining for the Hakstol days seems to be forgetting that his teams also consistently collapsed when it mattered.  His only team that I felt actually brought it to the Frozen Four is the team that lost to Denver in the title game.  

43 minutes ago, Armchair Expert said:

Because beating them would have meant UND was still two more wins away from even playing for the title.  Not sure I would say a first round regional game is being “in the mix for a title”.

Or maybe Michigan is a good team and it is unrealistic to expect a team like that won’t control portions of a game, especially after a terrible bounce provides a huge momentum shift?

I just think it interesting that everyone pining for the Hakstol days seems to be forgetting that his teams also consistently collapsed when it mattered.  His only team that I felt actually brought it to the Frozen Four is the team that lost to Denver in the title game.  

Hakstol’s 2005 frozen four team was good. Hakstol’s 2011 frozen four team and performance was pretty damn good too.