SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA tilt: UND vs the Maize and Blue

Oxbow6

52 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I see an often used phrase on here, "out of gas"...

Is there an issue with our conditioning?  Too much technology and cool gadge?  Not enough herbies, bag skates, trash can sessions, etc...

Something stinks in Denmark...

or not enough f bombs and broken sticks?

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Rhetorical question?

Yes and no.  Obviously I feel that there isn't much to get excited about, but if someone does find something exciting about March hockey at UND since 2017, then I'd be curious to know.

1 hour ago, Big A HG said:

Titles are too difficult to win to be expected, but the excitement generated during the Hak era was unparalleled.  Seemingly every year could be our year.  Never missed an NCAA tourney (Brad missed three), 7 Frozen Four appearances in 11 years (Brad 1 in 8), plus all of the conference postseason success with Hakstol.  You could spend your money on St Paul or a regional knowing your team would be there and they'd show up.  You could buy Frozen Four tickets in advance knowing your team had a better chance of being there than not.  It was all very exciting even if they all ultimately ended up in disappointment.  What's exciting about UND hockey right now?

"all ultimately ended up in disappointment". This is just me but there's no difference whether the disappointment happened in the Frozen Four or earlier.  You seem to be putting lots of stock in Frozen Four appearances and NCAA tournament wins. I'm not sure I agree. Personally for me, the barometer is winning national titles. Everything else is secondary. Honest question .. would you rather have your team have won a title 8 years ago with little postseason success since, or be like our friends to the East who have several NCAA tournament wins and some Frozen Four appearances over the past several years, but haven't hung an NCAA banner in over 20 years.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Big A HG said:

Titles are too difficult to win to be expected, but the excitement generated during the Hak era was unparalleled.  Seemingly every year could be our year.  Never missed an NCAA tourney (Brad missed three), 7 Frozen Four appearances in 11 years (Brad 1 in 8), plus all of the conference postseason success with Hakstol.  You could spend your money on St Paul or a regional knowing your team would be there and they'd show up.  You could buy Frozen Four tickets in advance knowing your team had a better chance of being there than not.  It was all very exciting even if they all ultimately ended up in disappointment.  What's exciting about UND hockey right now?

I don't kbow what kind of revisionist history this is but after 2006 I viewed the NCAAs with dread, knowing a collapse was coming. Making the Frozen Foir, but then getting crushed or now showing up isn't some badge of honor. Prior to the Hak years UND took titles at a 50/50 clip in the Frozen Four. Then it was a win in first semi in 2005 followed by 7 straight losses  The "laser focus" in 2011  had them so tight you could sense the loss coming even after UMDs win that afternoon should have created more momentum.  At least in 2016 UND got it done, taking out a hated rival in semis and crushing the top seed in the final. I'm as disappointed in the recent losses as anyone, but one and done is fickle, and we've been on the wrong side of late. We still have a more recent title than every blue blood outside of Denver.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fargosioux said:

"all ultimately ended up in disappointment". This is just me but there's no difference whether the disappointment happened in the Frozen Four or earlier.  You seem to be putting lots of stock in Frozen Four appearances and NCAA tournament wins. I'm not sure I agree. Personally for me, the barometer is winning national titles. Everything else is secondary. Honest question .. would you rather have your team have won a title 8 years ago with little postseason success since, or be like our friends to the East who have several NCAA tournament wins and some Frozen Four appearances over the past several years, but haven't hung an NCAA banner in over 20 years.

#Nattyorbust

That ship has sailed.

Beating someone other than AIC is the new normal now.

Why do I read posts suggesting the options are only: (1) you either get one natty and no other post season success; or (2) post season wins and no natty. 

How about option (3)? This is North Dakota where you should always have post season success while always competing for national championships. 

Name me a decade since the 1940s where North Dakota hasn’t had a team that won a natty? 58-59, 62-63, 79-80, 81-82, 86-87, 96-97, 99-00, 15-16

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fargosioux said:

So why not go a step further and miss the post season all together and just win every ten years or so.  Don’t know if you understand how recruiting works, but great players tend to go to teams that are in the picture for national championships.  Oh, and sometimes players stay another year to get it done when they seem so close to tasting it.  Doesn’t seem so close to tasting it.  I hope everyone stays, but I could see a few contemplate leaving.  Wonder what Berg is thinking coming off a nice season.

It is fair to ask if Berry’s handling of the team late in the year is working. Everytime we win the Penrose (a great accomplishment), I am ready for a letdown. This was a carboncopy of 2022. As soon as I saw us lose the zone on a 5x3 PP on Friday night in Omaha because the puck went under someone's freaking skate, deep down, I knew this team wasn't going to get it done.

It is frustrating. And it cannot be explained away by pointing out the single elimination format all the time. Nor can it be explained away by "bad luck". I really hope the players don't read this forum and internalize that crap.

I hope last night sits in the stomachs of these guys all off-season and they are motivated to make next season end on a winning note in April. And I hope Berry and his staff can figure out what happened and fix it so all of us don't have to feel like this every freaking March.

45 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

or not enough f bombs and broken sticks?

Do you have any evidence that this approach is a working methodology in the current era?  Is there some NCAA program Hanging banners with this approach?

Or do you study Slapshot & Miracle several times a week in anticipation that UND will tap your shoulder to lead them to the promised land?

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

So why not go a step further and miss the post season all together and just win every ten years or so.  Don’t know if you understand how recruiting works, but great players tend to go to teams that are in the picture for national championships.  

Thanks for educating me on how recruiting works! I had no idea before that.

So you are on the side of some NCAA tournament wins and no title for over 20 years. Thanks for the clarification. 

We aren't the only team with a title drought:

UM Go Blow: 26 years

Goofs: 21 years

Bucky: 18 years

Michigan State: 17 years

BU: 15 years

BC: 12 years

Ours is at 8 years.

I am frustrated like everyone else, but we are in the same boat as a lot of other programs.

• Upvote 1

Many frustrations about this - how did we devolve from the shot blocking shut down team that stymied Denver early in the year into the team that got it handed to them by Omaha and CC?  How did our goaltending go from lights out to the point where we hope it was average.  Berry has shown zero evidence that he can make the necessary changes - or any evidence that he even recognizes the problem.  And don't expect anything from the AD - you know, the guy who thought Football Bubba was doing such a great job he extended it twice.  Absolutely no demand for excellence from our Athletics any more.  Our hockey program can't continue on this track - we need to be able to sell our program to talent and I don't think "hey, we won the Penrose" can be our big recruiting point.  Changes need to be made and right now that falls on Berry.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Maybe followed by 5>2, 5>3......

Please don't drink the B1G Kool-Aid. They were bound to get their act together at some point. But the NCHC is not going away, no matter what some people on here think. And eastern schools like BC, BU and Quinnipiac aren't going away either.

If the B1G made an offer to UND that made it worth our while financially, I would not oppose a move there. But until that day comes, I have no problem staying in the NCHC.