SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The guy going from QU to Miami better be able to handle losing. 

Fillion (to Miami) and Tellier of Q were guys I'd figured to get much interest. 

29 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

An anonymous source with knowledge of the situation has told me that Pohlkamp will be on campus today and Wilkie will be on campus tomorrow. The source also says we were late to the party on Wood but there is mutual interest from both sides. So I guess we are still in the running for these players.

Good that we're in the running on a couple of them...visiting the school is a good sign.  Time for Berry and Co to wow them on their visits.  :) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, brianvf said:

Good that we're in the running on a couple of them...visiting the school is a good sign.  Time for Berry and Co to wow them on their visits.  :) 

Then tell them what you didn't see in Chiclets University is our mimosa machine and Belgian waffle bar that is made to order. :D

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Hopefully Dillon Simpson can use his personality to bond with these guys and convince them this is a nice place to play college hockey. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, tnt said:

Hopefully Dillon Simpson can use his personality to bond with these guys and convince them this is a nice place to play college hockey. 

There's no way he doesn't have a better personality than Carle if we're battling against DU for Pohlkamp.  ;)

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Then tell them what you didn't see in Chiclets University is our mimosa machine and Belgian waffle bar that is made to order. :D

Don’t bring up SiouxSports as well. ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brianvf said:

There's no way he doesn't have a better personality than Carle if we're battling against DU for Pohlkamp.  ;)

Carle is a recruiting master. Give Simpson time though, he’ll come into his own.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Carle is a recruiting master. Give Simpson time though, he’ll come into his own.

I have no doubt he is a great recruiter and coach...his track record speaks for itself.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

If Carle gets another title hopefully he starts garnering interest from the pros and leaves Denver.

That's what we thought about Monty leaving a few years back and that didn't turn out too well.

4 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

That's what we thought about Monty leaving a few years back and that didn't turn out too well.

You’re right. Heck, I thought Denver made a drastic mistake getting rid of Gwoz and they would go downhill.  But they just keep getting better with each new coach. 

• Upvote 1

I realize these kids are playing for a career in the NHL, but recruiting elite players is not like it was generations ago (Blais?) when a lot of them left small towns in Minnesota or the Canadian prairie and went directly to college.   Now, they're playing just about year round and spending several years in juniors.  The chippahs are on traveling teams before that.   They're getting culturally more sophisticated (or at least more experienced).   They still put hockey first, but if there are two relatively equal programs to chose from, and one is in Denver, Ann Arbor, or Boston and one is in Mankato or Grand Forks, that will be a factor to increasing numbers of kids, IMO.   To say nothing of NIL.  The day when Warroad/Roseau and Range kids identified with the small town culture in GF as opposed to the city kids in the Mpls, whom they saw as rivals growing up, is pretty much history.   Now, the elite kids in Roseau play against and with the elite twin city kids in venues and for teams other than their local high schools.  

I mean it isn't yet like BB, where the blue bloods at Kentucky are very familiar with the blue bloods at Duke and other elite BB factories.   They've often been teammates on traveling club teams growing up.  College hockey isn't that yet, thank Parise, but it's getting more so.  

But you all know from experience that I'm talking out of my arse on things like this.  I have no explanation for how one who knows so little can say so much.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Grand Forks has never had the amenities of places like Denver, Minneapolis or Boston. But it hasn't stopped us from winning championships. And there is no reason why UND can't continue to be a blue blood in this sport. The thought of devolving into a mid-major program whose highest goal is making the NCAA tournament is nauseating to say the least. It absolutely must not be allowed to happen.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Grand Forks has never had the amenities of places like Denver, Minneapolis or Boston. But it hasn't stopped us from winning championships. And there is no reason why UND can't continue to be a blue blood in this sport. The thought of devolving into a mid-major program whose highest goal is making the NCAA tournament is nauseating to say the least. It absolutely must not be allowed to happen.

UND is still a national powerhouse and will continue to be for at least the near future.   And there are precedents, even in elite-dominated college BB.   Spokane is hardly a cosmopolitan city, yet small school Gonzaga can compete with anybody.    

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Duluth is the bunghole of North American and it has not stopped UMD from winning 3 recent national titles. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Duluth is the bunghole of North American and it has not stopped UMD from winning 3 recent national titles. 

Love Duluth. Definitely not the bunghole of America

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

IMO, the tide is turning in these times & UND, Sioux, & city may be a breath of fresh air in comparison to the burbs for recruits & their parents.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, thUNDer said:

IMO, the tide is turning in these times & UND, Sioux, & city may be a breath of fresh air in comparison to the burbs for recruits & their parents.

I remember Parise liking the smaller campus feel that was like Shattuck.  Each recruit is different, some like the big cities and big campuses, some like a small town feel.  Some, the amenities mean a lot, some are sold on educational opportunities that suit their pursuits.