SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

19 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

We won a championship game with Coltyn Sanderson and Johnny Simonson playing center. They collectively had 16 goals over the course of eight years on the team.

Fair. 

That same championship team also had 11 other skaters who spent time in the NHL though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Username Taken said:

Connor Ford 2.0 and Jake Schmaltz as 2 of your 4 centers aren’t winning you a national championship. 

What about Berg, Boisvert, Jamernik, or Swanson and Wilkie?   Obviously we won a league championship with McLaughlin at center, but they want to clean up a few issues they had with faceoffs and puck possession late in the year.

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

I think Schlossman pointed out a long time ago that advisors were testing the waters mid season and that most had already had some idea where they wanted to go, so Sandelin’s point is common knowledge.  I think most of us think it is insane.  The thing is, it could get worse if indeed NHL teams try pushing their draft picks to certain teams.  Don’t know how you fix it at this point, as the cat is out of the bag.

I don’t like the portal any more than I like the 1 year scholarships that schools offer student athletes.

If a university can’t commit to a student athlete for 4 years, I can’t blame a student for leaving either.

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

Fair. 

That same championship team also had 11 other skaters who spent time in the NHL though. 

Yep, certainly some talent on that team. Offensively, though, this years team was better. But defensively we were way better in ‘16. A 1.66 gaa by your primary goalie will take you along way. But maybe one our better d-corps. 

7 hours ago, SJHovey said:

We won a championship game with Coltyn Sanderson and Johnny Simonson playing center. They collectively had 16 goals over the course of eight years on the team.

As was already mentioned, that was a rare team that was so dang good everywhere else that they didn’t seem to need as much depth. Those guys were also playing their best hockey at that time of the year. I just don’t know what to do with Schmaltz was my point. Zero offense and isn’t overly hard to play against. Not great at faceoffs. Could slide him to wing. I just don’t like thought of him centering a 3rd line again.

Does anyone think that there will be other very good transfer possibilities in the coming weeks, or is Pohlkamp, Wood & Wilkie heads & tails above all others?

9 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

I don’t like the portal any more than I like the 1 year scholarships that schools offer student athletes.

If a university can’t commit to a student athlete for 4 years, I can’t blame a student for leaving either.

Scholarships have always been one-year propositions but I understand your point. 

12 hours ago, fargosioux said:

Not sure how much insider info he has, but Alex Micheletti is pretty much saying Pohlkamp to Denver. Damn! He would have been a great addition to our blueline next year.

Anyone else sick of losing recruits to Denver? Anyone else sick of Denver in general?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Anyone else sick of losing recruits to Denver? Anyone else sick of Denver in general?

DU falls under my general despising of maroon and gold teams. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

DU falls under my general despising of maroon and gold teams. 

Which is why I don't understand how people can want them to win next week.   It is hard to recruit against them now, it will be more difficult if they keep racking up titles.  We recruit sometimes against BC and BU, but we are recruiting against Denver most of the time. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I think we may see some surprises in the coming weeks. Free agency at its finest. 

I definitely think we lose a few players as well.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Denver is the team I hate the most. Always have, always will. I don’t know what it is about that organization in the officiating that seems to follow them everywhere. :huh:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I'm actually cheering for DU.  I think David Carle is about two years from an NHL deal, and a championship this year will only hasten that.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I'm actually cheering for DU.  I think David Carle is about two years from an NHL deal, and a championship this year will only hasten that.

If so, they'll likely just replace him with another great coach without missing a beat, who will continue to field strong teams & be contenders every year. That program seems to make all the right moves, & it all starts with their AD who puts winners into the HC position.

On 4/1/2024 at 2:01 PM, brianvf said:

Hard to read too much into these interweb things...but Wood just recently started following Blake and Strinden on "the socials". 
If that's just a coincidence or something more...I'm sure we'll find out shortly.

He’s now following Abram Wiebe as well. So maybe there is a chance, even if small. Still think Minnesota/B1G schools have inside track.