SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-2025 season

ND-fan

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

In my mind, your focus should be ND (when there’s talent) and really hit MN, specifically the cities, hard. You shouldn’t limit yourself to recruiting other areas but I don’t think the focus should be Michigan or those other regions. 

I am assuming this poster is frustrated because we seemed to put a lot of eggs into Michigan and I wouldn’t say the ROI has been great. Beal and Hurst are contributors but I don’t think they have panned out to what has hoped. Now they’re only going into their junior year so still time. 

I think it makes sense to stay in Canada - international students can't sign NIL deals so if we get a good one it will be less likely that they're poached.  There's got to be some overlooked talent in the Winnipeg area and in that case our location would actually help us for once.

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I think it makes sense to stay in Canada - international students can't sign NIL deals so if we get a good one it will be less likely that they're poached.  There's got to be some overlooked talent in the Winnipeg area and in that case our location would actually help us for once.

International students can get NIL deals. They just can't get paid while in the US. As long as they are outside of the US when they receive the money they can get paid whatever they want in NIL. 

It's not as smooth, but these big schools will find ways to pay the players that they want. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

What does Mal have to do to keep her job after this year? Signed through 2025-26 but this feels make or break to me…. Or it should be. 

It will be tough. Coach Mo was the one who tried to hold players accountable, regardless of how well they could score or how many ESPN stars they had as a recruit. Seems like he was asked to come back and then discarded. Pretty sh!tty really.

3 minutes ago, Farawayfan said:

It will be tough. Coach Mo was the one who tried to hold players accountable, regardless of how well they could score or how many ESPN stars they had as a recruit. Seems like he was asked to come back and then discarded. Pretty sh!tty really.

I believe he asked to come back. I wonder if the Hutter hiring made him feel undermined. 

51 minutes ago, Farawayfan said:

If I recall he came back because his family was still in Grand Forks. Whole situation is strange.  I can see him feeling undermined.

3 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

International students can get NIL deals. They just can't get paid while in the US. As long as they are outside of the US when they receive the money they can get paid whatever they want in NIL. 

It's not as smooth, but these big schools will find ways to pay the players that they want. 

Zach Edey did a lot of complaining about not being able to make any money off NIL. If they couldn’t find a way for someone like him, it must be pretty difficult. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Farawayfan said:

Don't believe all of this to be accurate...
Regardless, best of luck to him in the future.

1 hour ago, Big Lubowski said:

Zach Edey did a lot of complaining about not being able to make any money off NIL. If they couldn’t find a way for someone like him, it must be pretty difficult. 

It really isn't that difficult. Just go to a different country and then they can get paid. It just takes some planning and coordinating. Extra steps that the non-international players don't have to deal with. 

That is why he complained so much.

One quick Google search would have answered all your questions. :D

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39882011/purdue-zach-edey-missing-profits-due-us-nil-law

On 5/2/2024 at 3:12 PM, sioux24/7 said:

What does Mal have to do to keep her job after this year? Signed through 2025-26 but this feels make or break to me…. Or it should be. 

Given the low standards around here, anything 10 wins or above probably gets her a contract extension. :silly:

I have to believe that we finish in the top four of the Summit, 19 or better season wins by conference tournament and at least two wins in the conference tournament. The latter is my belief we need to reach a championship game in the Summit. This means we need to win a game in tournament against ORU, NDSU, and SDSU, SDSU I don't think we have a shot at next year and matter a fact I don't think anyone in the Summit has a chance of beating them. That means we need to be in other side of the bracket with other two teams.  This is tall order, but she has had time to build this program now if we are going to move forward, she has to make it happen now.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...