SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-2025 season

ND-fan

25 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

I am worried about her. She was not making a very good impression at the Summit game from a spectator perspective. She really needs to figure her world out fast cause this kind of dramatic fall can be detrimental to a program for years..

Chaves will extend her.  Path of least resistance

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

I am worried about her. She was not making a very good impression at the Summit game from a spectator perspective. She really needs to figure her world out fast cause this kind of dramatic fall can be detrimental to a program for years..

Look what happened to NDSU with bad coaching hires. They made a great hire in coach Jory. They went against the grain and hired a male outsider. When Mal was hired over the other guy that was in the final two with her I couldn't believe it. He had way more credentials and Mal came off a horrible year as intern coach.... but being a und grad and female gave it to her...  great choice Chaves.  AND im NOT saying females can't coach !!!  Im saying hire the best person male OR female !! 

• Upvote 3

A coach was hired to take over a struggling team. The coach who left met with them privately and presented three numbered envelopes. “Open these if you run into serious trouble,” he said.

Well, after the first year the team was way down and the new coach was catching a lot of heat. they began to panic but then remembered the envelopes. They went to the drawer and took out the first envelope. The message read, “Blame your predecessor.” The new coach called a press conference and explained that the previous coach had left them with a real mess and it was taking a bit longer to clean it up than expected, but everything was on the right track. Satisfied with the comments, everyone responded positively.

A couple years went by and the team continued to struggle. Having learned from his previous experience, the coach quickly opened the second envelope. The message read, “Reorganize.” So they fired key people and made roster changes. This was met with support for the effort.

Another year passed and the team was still short on wins. The coach would have to figure out how to get through another tough off season. They went to their office, closed the door and opened the third envelope. The message said, “Prepare three envelopes.”

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Look what happened to NDSU with bad coaching hires. They made a great hire in coach Jory. They went against the grain and hired a male outsider. When Mal was hired over the other guy that was in the final two with her I couldn't believe it. He had way more credentials and Mal came off a horrible year as intern coach.... but being a und grad and female gave it to her...  great choice Chaves.  AND im NOT saying females can't coach !!!  Im saying hire the best person male OR female !! 

Who did they hire her over?

20 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Who did they hire her over?

I seem to remember he was from the south and his resume showed lots of recruiting experience. I was actually surprise he did not get the job - but quicklyi realized the deck was stacked against him for several reasons.  

• Upvote 1

Yes I believe he was from the south also. There was 4 candidates one being Mal. The other two females who I also thought would be better then Mal. When they announced the top 2 I thought well he got it and giving some credit to Mal as a alum and assistant to keep her as an assistant.  Boy was I wrong. Never thought in a million years and only 2 wins the previous year would she get the job.   

16 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Yes I believe he was from the south also. There was 4 candidates one being Mal. The other two females who I also thought would be better then Mal. When they announced the top 2 I thought well he got it and giving some credit to Mal as a alum and assistant to keep her as an assistant.  Boy was I wrong. Never thought in a million years and only 2 wins the previous year would she get the job.   

As I recall, Brewster was fired around March 11, 2020, and Mallory was named interim head coach. Covid shut the world down less than two weeks later, and no national search was ever conducted. Or am I just not remembering the chain of events correctly?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UND92,96 said:

As I recall, Brewster was fired around March 11, 2020, and Mallory was named interim head coach. Covid shut the world down less than two weeks later, and no national search was ever conducted. Or am I just not remembering the chain of events correctly?

Mal got the interim coach for that year.  Won 2 games. They opened the position up after the season. Narrowed it to 4 finalists . Then Chaves came out and said taking interim title off Mal making her the head coach.  If her job interview was coaching that team to 2 wins should have been fired.  Now look at the dumpster fire we have.  

Aaron Kallhoff was the other finalist.  Sac State hired him this year as the HC.  They just went 6-25 after going 25-8 the year before. Not sure if there was a mass exodus but certainly not a good look.  

• Upvote 1

Both of these hires took for ever last year and I believe this set plate f or the year we had. I was looking back at last year’s comments Sw Sioux said there was nothing to worry about and was confident we would be top of the conference. Many on here thought Bledsoe was a good hire and now he was let go right after the season. I thought he might give us avenue back into recruiting in the Twin Cities. Then Wimberley was hired  in August and here again is being let go very short time and I don’t what her responsibilities were for the team.  The bottom line they serve at pleasure of  Mallory but I am not sure if replacing them is going to make as big a change people are looking for. The offense and defense  we play still has to come from Mallory.

I think possibility for new coach for the program is Chole Lamb from University of Mary and played on South Dakota women’s team two years ago. She was very good player and was very intelligent in her play there. Second she played under Dawn Plitzuweit who was known for her team’s playing good team defense something she could bring to this team since she played most of her college career under that system. We need fresh start on teaching new system here because what ever we have been doing is not working.

Malory needs to find coaches that can help her to getting to better offense and defense in place for next year or her tenure I feel will be over here. I have to believe this is her last chance here that she has to build this program to top Summit team and the door is closing fast.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Both of these hires took for ever last year and I believe this set plate f or the year we had. I was looking back at last year’s comments Sw Sioux said there was nothing to worry about and was confident we would be top of the conference. Many on here thought Bledsoe was a good hire and now he was let go right after the season. I thought he might give us avenue back into recruiting in the Twin Cities. Then Wimberley was hired  in August and here again is being let go very short time and I don’t what her responsibilities were for the team.  The bottom line they serve at pleasure of  Mallory but I am not sure if replacing them is going to make as big a change people are looking for. The offense and defense  we play still has to come from Mallory.

I think possibility for new coach for the program is Chole Lamb from University of Mary and played on South Dakota women’s team two years ago. She was very good player and was very intelligent in her play there. Second she played under Dawn Plitzuweit who was known for her team’s playing good team defense something she could bring to this team since she played most of her college career under that system. We need fresh start on teaching new system here because what ever we have been doing is not working.

Malory needs to find coaches that can help her to getting to better offense and defense in place for next year or her tenure I feel will be over here. I have to believe this is her last chance here that she has to build this program to top Summit team and the door is closing fast.

I like that idea of chole lamb. Would definitely bring a winning mentality to the program.  

8 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Aaron Kallhoff was the other finalist.  Sac State hired him this year as the HC.  They just went 6-25 after going 25-8 the year before. Not sure if there was a mass exodus but certainly not a good look.  

He might have had a bad first year but he was ranked top 5 assistant coaches and mentored WNBA players.   Mal had never coached and came off a 2 win season.   I'd have taken a chance on a outside person.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

Dei 

16 hours ago, Parkers Pros said:

Sounds to me like a bunch of excuses that shouldn’t be happening now.  I can see getting embarrassed consistently in your first year when the program was in transition, but to be this uncompetitive with someone like Borowicz on your team means you have failed miserably to surround her with talent and determination, or you can’t get them to buy into your systems. The fact that the assistants become the scapegoats and she is left uttering excuses instead of taking responsibility doesn’t give me confidence the program is moving in the right direction.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

Sounds to me like a bunch of excuses that shouldn’t be happening now.  I can see getting embarrassed consistently in your first year when the program was in transition, but to be this uncompetitive with someone like Borowicz on your team means you have failed miserably to surround her with talent and determination, or you can’t get them to buy into your systems. The fact that the assistants become the scapegoats and she is left uttering excuses instead of taking responsibility doesn’t give me confidence the program is moving in the right direction.  

Does Mal discuss the firings with Chaves first?

there were a few good athletes on this team but seemed to be playing out of position, I just felt Mal didn’t have control of the team

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Recruiting.  Find good players and suddenly you look like a good coach.  

They make you look better than you are 

I think quality of our talent was better than we played at this past year. It’s hard to know what we have in talent when we played no team defense and if anything it deteriorated as the season went along. The team didn’t have anything for team offense with exception Kacie figuring a way to be able to score. Then we had Hurst going one on one or taking a deep three. Then we finally had Pemberton rebounding scoring off the rebound or her running the floor in fast break scoring. How many times did we run set offensive play where we got good look or shot we wanted. The latter happed very rarely and most times ending in turnover. Mallories offense is running forcing drive for theshot and then rebounding the miss for easy put back not any set offense.

this team can’t get better until we learn to play some better defense. I think Mallory talks about playing defense but from what I see she can’t teach this to the players. She needs to bring in assistant coach that can get this done with the team. Same goes for the offense she needs like football offensive coordinator to run type of play she wants to play. Then we will have handle on player talent but even best talent needs system that brings out that talent .

So far I see on the portal sites  that Cottingham and Davis are in the transfer portal . I was guessing this for Cottingham when she didn’t dress for summit tournament. Davis I also thought was possibility her level of play had declined and her shooting was not there this year. These two openings are necessary for coming year if Mallory is going to improve this team immediately. We need to see proven talent brought in ready to play.

I see that Walker Demers is in the portal I don’t know if she would be what we’re looking for but she does fit in with experience and has ability to play four or five position and be able to rebound. Her ability to score in these positions has struggled with but she has two years of eligibility left.

10 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

So far I see on the portal sites  that Cottingham and Davis are in the transfer portal . I was guessing this for Cottingham when she didn’t dress for summit tournament. Davis I also thought was possibility her level of play had declined and her shooting was not there this year. These two openings are necessary for coming year if Mallory is going to improve this team immediately. We need to see proven talent brought in ready to play.

I see that Walker Demers is in the portal I don’t know if she would be what we’re looking for but she does fit in with experience and has ability to play four or five position and be able to rebound. Her ability to score in these positions has struggled with but she has two years of eligibility left.

Can I ask where you are seeing these players enter portal at?   Thanks for the updates!  

www.thenexthoops.com/fearures/2023-24-transfer-portal-tracker-ncaa-womens-basketball/#Summit is the site I was looking at now it was just updated today. I initially found it on the USD forum site today with there discussion on her and another girl transferring. I think we are going to see more transfers in next few days from number of teams in the Summit and neighboring conferences. I don’t think it will be bad for us it may give us chance to reconstruct this roster and get talent more ready to play.

• Upvote 1