SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-2025 season

ND-fan

If she hasn't change her field of study UND does have courses and degrees she has on her bio at USD. Plus, we have medical school if she decides to go further in her area of study. I would think that there has to be limited number of schools that her area of study and would have openings on their basketball team.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone heard what Mallory is looking for in assistant coaches since she let her two new coaches go right after the season. There has to be some scuttle but around the program that media must know something. Second so far, I have been surprised we haven't seen more players in the portal but maybe some are waiting around to see who will be coming in before they make a decision. Chaves has been quite on all fronts for the athletic department with exception of extending Bubba in football.   

Why would a coach want to be an assistant at this program?

not sure what it pays but I can’t really see it as a stepping stone to higher paying jobs at another university 

29 minutes ago, Kab said:

Why would a coach want to be an assistant at this program?

not sure what it pays but I can’t really see it as a stepping stone to higher paying jobs at another university 

To be apart of the legendary mal coaching tree

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Teams with kids that can shoot win BB games. Just ask Kentucky and Auburn MBB teams.

While I agree with the point you are trying to make, it's not a great example. Kentucky led the whole nation in team 3 pt % at 41% for the year. (They lost because they play literally 0 defense.) Pretty similar to us this season. 

We have 0 girls that can shoot. We also have very few good athletes. Pemberton is probably about it in this category. So we have 0 girls that can shoot and we also have 1 girl that is a really good athlete.

That is absolutely terrible roster management this past season. This needs to be solved in a big way for next year. 

• Upvote 1

The best womens'/girls' basketball coach in the region is already a UND employee--Kent Ripplinger, the longtime Red River girls coach. Hire him as a mentor to Mallory and let him be in charge of the defense. I guarantee things would be better than what we've seen in recent years.

• Upvote 3

I see other schools are talking to transfers are we doing that now or are we interviewing coaching candidates. It seems to me with number of things that needs to be fixed we need to higher some coaches and hit the roads, telephones, and what other means to find some immediate help on roster construction. They have to know what they need to find to improve this team. They need couple of 6' to 6'2" guard/forwards that shoot and handle to ball well and then play some defense. Then they could use experienced point guard that can play right now because they have to be expecting Schiller becoming future for this team long term to play point guard. Then we need to start working with Pemberton, Horne, and Beal developing their talents on offense and defense. The sad thing about this is Mallory is starting her fourth year and I think were farther away from developing the program since she was hired. It was like she took the year off last year forgot about roster construction, teaching youth how to run offense and play defense. I would say she left that all to Kacie to teach as player and then expect to her to carry all the scoring for the team. This is her season now to prove she deserves to be in charge of this program, and I don't know if she is capable of doing all that in one year.

44 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Love the hire!  Can’t help but think he will improve the recruiting mindset

The biggest thing will be the help with recruiting local talent! Need to find a way to land more local talent at UND

He's also a great coach. Was doing some really good things at Mayville!

• Upvote 2

Great hire ! I have a feeling this wasn't Mals hire.  I think she is on a tight lease now and better do the things the university feels is best.  I don't see her happy hiring another coach with a more decorated career then hers and just got done beating her team. 

Now I hope to see a few more girls in portal and start fresh !  This hire could be our future coach ? 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

The biggest thing will be the help with recruiting local talent! Need to find a way to land more local talent at UND

That's my impression; the SD schools haven't ventured far to recruit yet have shown success. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Great hire ! I have a feeling this wasn't Mals hire but I think she is on a tight lease now and better do the things the university feels is best.  I don't see her happy hiring another coach with a more decorated career then hers and just got done beating her team. 

Great leaders surround themselves with people who fill in their shortcomings. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

Great hire ! I have a feeling this wasn't Mals hire.  I think she is on a tight lease now and better do the things the university feels is best.  I don't see her happy hiring another coach with a more decorated career then hers and just got done beating her team. 

Now I hope to see a few more girls in portal and start fresh !  This hire could be our future coach ? 

An AD would sure put themselves in a pretty tight spot dictating who a HC can hire for an AC.
If it doesn't work out, makes it pretty easy for the HC to point fingers and say "this was your idea."

That doesn't preclude an AD from having input but fully directing a hire seems like a stretch.