SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-2025 season

ND-fan

The Season has ended in big step backwards from last year. The team dropped from 19 wins to 9 wins and ending season with 6 place finish. We were last in so many statistics for the Summit in following scoring margin,3pt. percentage, last turnover margin, assist / turnover margin, and last in assists. In most of stats for the conference we were 6 or worse. The only positive we were better in totals for rebounding but again margin of rebounds to opponents were 6th. Then we are losing Kacie Borowicz who accounted for 29% of our scoring and Sammiyah Hoskins who was solid player that provided us rebounding.

The question for coming year who will step-up and provide leadership for this team. We have Pemberton and Hurst our next leading scorers who will be returning. We have 3 recruits coming in Schiller, Mathern, and Volmer with one scholarship yet to fill. We will need to develop our young players and improve on our fundamentals to turn this ship around for the coming year.

Mallory Bernhard would probably get a multi-year contract extension if the team somehow wins 20+ games, that's how screwed up this athletic department is. But I don't see that happening.

I predict 5 wins at most, with a last place finish in the Summit. And it still won't be enough to persuade Chaves to make a change at the top.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

The Season has ended in big step backwards from last year. The team dropped from 19 wins to 9 wins and ending season with 6 place finish. We were last in so many statistics for the Summit in following scoring margin,3pt. percentage, last turnover margin, assist / turnover margin, and last in assists. In most of stats for the conference we were 6 or worse. The only positive we were better in totals for rebounding but again margin of rebounds to opponents were 6th. Then we are losing Kacie Borowicz who accounted for 29% of our scoring and Sammiyah Hoskins who was solid player that provided us rebounding.

The question for coming year who will step-up and provide leadership for this team. We have Pemberton and Hurst our next leading scorers who will be returning. We have 3 recruits coming in Schiller, Mathern, and Volmer with one scholarship yet to fill. We will need to develop our young players and improve on our fundamentals to turn this ship around for the coming year.

I'm hopeful that Schiller brings a winning attitude to the locker room.  I can see her helping turn things around, or hitting the portal within a year.  Team didn't seem to develop at all, which is very concerning.  another sub 10 win season and I think you have to look hard at a coaching change.

2 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

I'm hopeful that Schiller brings a winning attitude to the locker room.  I can see her helping turn things around, or hitting the portal within a year.  Team didn't seem to develop at all, which is very concerning.  another sub 10 win season and I think you have to look hard at a coaching change.

Don't count on it. Because at UND, it's all about "the student-athlete experience". #justlikehighschool

The first correction I think they need is to fix roster construction for the team. They need to lay down a plan on type of player they are looking for to play the type of game they want to play. This means even if they find talented player a lot of athletic abilities that may develop into good player if that player will not fit into type of play and have talent and physical skill to play that game then they need to pass. The present roster seems a mess in that they have recruited players on athletic ability only and not if they would fit into roster play certain role and if they are willing to be coached developed into that role.

The second correction what type of game are they going to play and then develop offense and defense that can be successful with that style of play. Then if we have above players who are expected to play that game is to get players as team playing and executing fundamentals to be successful and to win with this plan. We have played too much of couple star players we build our offense around instead of offensive strategy where we play as team and take what the opposition will give us in our team format, but this doesn't mean we won't have star players, but we are going to win with team concept.

Schiller will be a great addition and may well be a Kacie type player.  Pemberton is likely to develop into a very solid player as well.  Ibrahim has potential.  Hurst can score but has to at least attempt to play some defense - which has not happened so far.  I still think Beal has real potential.   Her athleticism is off the charts if we can put her in the right role.  After that, we need to recruit length, speed, and 3 point shooting badly.  Those are necessary adds if we want to get to the next level.  Right now, we are too small and too slow.  Usually, that equates to good shooting, but we don’t have that either.  On the other hand, if we actually had an offense that creates open looks,  our shooting would likely improve.  Mal needs to abandon whatever that shitshow she has now in favor of a real offense that creates something more than letting two players go one on four.  Kacie made things happen on raw talent, but certainly not from anything the offense gave her.  Nobody else could generate much of anything except 20 plus turnovers a game.  Next, Mal needs to learn how to coach team defense skills and what to do on switches.  The number of defensive screwups this year was nothing short of embarrassing.  It was no fluke that other teams saw triple digits against us way too many times in one season.  Mal was part of a. Roebuck coached program that knew how to win games.  She needs to go back to the basics of how that was done if she wants to continue in this position.  If next year looks like this year did, we will be lucky to have 30 fans at a game.  I am still hopeful she has it in her, but this year was an absolute disaster to watch.

Posted (edited)

I agree with your assessment of the team and what is needed to get better. The question is what you do with Hurst she has some offense talent but if she doesn't improve on defense I don't see where you can play her because whatever positives she has on offense is given back on defense. The other question I have Cottingham didn't dress for the last game was their reason for not dressing. also, your comment on attendance is worth mentioning we were still fourth in Summit in attendance but how long can we go and not erode that attendance.  Finally, I see on the men's side Coyote fan called UND'S presence of not having band and cheering squad not up to standards show lack of support from UND Administration. I was not there but maybe people who attended if there are any grounds to this comment. I have my own personal feelings on UND administration over years and how various sports have been handled and supported but I choose to not go there.

Edited by ND-fan
correct a statement

Mallory said we have couple commits then we have at least one more leaving the team because I think we only had 3 in the last year eligibility and then we had Jardine transfer for the fourth opening and we already have 3 signed leaving one. It will be interesting who they will be signing and if they will all be high school recruits. If that is the case we will be going traditional route women’s basketball but on the men’s side we will be going more the judo or transfer portal route based on Sather response if your going compete in conference takes experienced players to win. This is what he saw in the Summit tournament. Is there that much difference in winning programs mens and women’s basketball.

8 minutes ago, Green Banner said:

Hoffman is a 6ft 8th grader and already has eclipsed 1000 career points 

Great.  Will Mallory be coaching here when she finally graduates in 4 years?  Mal should probably be worrying about her roster next year that currently will get her fired.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, DL Sioux said:

I’ve run into Bledsoe a few times this season watching and recruiting players in Twin Cities at hs games and practices. He seems like a good guy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I’ve run into Bledsoe a few times this season watching and recruiting players in Twin Cities at hs games and practices. He seems like a good guy. 

had high hopes he could've been a Eligbabuy (spelling)....the guy jones had hitting tc metro area hard....q, geno.....

5 hours ago, DL Sioux said:

I am worried about her. She was not making a very good impression at the Summit game from a spectator perspective. She really needs to figure her world out fast cause this kind of dramatic fall can be detrimental to a program for years..