SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday night in Stearns County

Oxbow6

7 minutes ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

I missed being able to watch most of the game and I noticed the clowns didn't get a single penalty. Did they get away with stuff or did they genuinely play clean?

We saw some non calls, nothing egregious but warranted as a make up call(s) for the weak ones we had to kill

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

imho, ncaa is using 3v3 followed by a shootout to mimic the NHL, so they can counter major junior claims that thier league better prepares players for the show...   what the nhl does filters down...

100%

Mariucci Arena is not an ocean any more for this reason as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

I missed being able to watch most of the game and I noticed the clowns didn't get a single penalty. Did they get away with stuff or did they genuinely play clean?

They got away with a couple holding/interference infractions. We got away with at least one tripping penalty. I think overall it was a clean game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Probably got away with a little but they did have the puck most of the night so we probably got away with a few as well.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is what I have been advocating for.

4x4 for 10 minutes.

If the game ends tied, then so be it.

Go back to 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie and zero points for a loss.

And, above all else.....

NO MORE SHOOTOUTS.

Yes, thank you!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Maybe they need to reread the room cause 5 of 5 dentists hate ir as do the fans

I think the argument for 3-on-3 was that NCAA hockey is a development path the NHL, so college hockey should mimic the NHL.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Goon said:

I think the argument for 3-on-3 was that NCAA hockey is a development path the NHL, so college hockey should mimic the NHL.

That isn't a good enough reason to keep it. Kids that choose the CHL do it for complex and sometimes personal reasons that have nothing to do with OT format or the presence of shootouts. Time to get back to basics on this.

36 minutes ago, Goon said:

What % of college kids even get a cup of coffee in the NHL......and 90% of those aren't skilled enough to play 3x3 at that level. I get the AHL uses it too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is what I have been advocating for.

4x4 for 10 minutes.

If the game ends tied, then so be it.

Go back to 2 points for a win, 1 point for a tie and zero points for a loss.

And, above all else.....

NO MORE SHOOTOUTS.

I still say a win is worth 3. Ties is worth 1.  If neither team can win you have left a point on the table.  It will make OT more interesting.  Teams will push for the win vs hoping for the win and living with a tie.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nd jg said:

I still say a win is worth 3. Ties is worth 1.  If neither team can win you have left a point on the table.  It will make OT more interesting.  Teams will push for the win vs hoping for the win and living with a tie.

i like this idea bc sometimes some teams olayed ot not to lose and it was boring five minutes 

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i like this idea bc sometimes some teams olayed ot not to lose and it was boring five minutes 

If we make it 4x4 for 10 minutes, it will be much harder for teams to play for the tie. Kind of hard to trap with 4 vs 5 players. I also believe you will have far fewer ties with this format.

• Upvote 1

UND was doing what the Caps did in OT, control the puck until the shootout. It worked for the most part, just didn't win in the shootout. This is why the NHL owners want a change to 3x3 OT. But why have 3x3 OT during the season when the most important games (playoffs) are 5x5. The NHL should just go back to 5x5.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I noticed that Ludvig seems to be staying on his feet more instead of going into the butterfly especially on rushes coming into the zone ... anyone else notice this or am I seeing something that isn't there or has he done regularly already?

Edit: Like here:

Edited by RedFrog
  • Upvote 2

I think folks are forgetting what the 5x5 OT's used to look like.  The vast majority of the time, both teams were more than happy to take the tie and get their pt.  I recall walking out of the WSC after ties and it's an odd feeling. The fear of losing the pt outweighed taking chances to gain a pt.  I don't have a grand solution outside just calling the game a tie after regulations, but nobody likes a tie.  I don't see why having 4x4 instead of 3x3 is any less gimmicky, and there is some merit to having the game played the same way it is at the next level.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RedFrog said:

I noticed that Ludvig seems to be staying on his feet more instead of going into the butterfly especially on rushes coming into the zone ... anyone else notice this or am I seeing something that isn't there or has he done regularly already?

Edit: Like here:

He does stay on his feet more, I think it’s if he believes a guy is going to shoot high. I like it and think it makes him look super confident in his abilities 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

What % of college kids even get a cup of coffee in the NHL......and 90% of those aren't skilled enough to play 3x3 at that level. I get the AHL uses it too.

I don’t know that’s a good question maybe my old friend at College Hockey INC knows. 

16 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

I think folks are forgetting what the 5x5 OT's used to look like.  The vast majority of the time, both teams were more than happy to take the tie and get their pt.  I recall walking out of the WSC after ties and it's an odd feeling. The fear of losing the pt outweighed taking chances to gain a pt.  I don't have a grand solution outside just calling the game a tie after regulations, but nobody likes a tie.  I don't see why having 4x4 instead of 3x3 is any less gimmicky, and there is some merit to having the game played the same way it is at the next level.

That’s a good point. However, IMHO, since NCAA hockey mimics the NHL gimmick rules it will only change if/when the NHL does so. Keep the faith as the sport continues growing at all levels.