SiouxSports.com Forum

U.S. Under 18 Team @ UND

fightingsioux4life

18 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

I’m not much for positive spin, but…

… this team will never play 3x3 OT during NCHC or NCAA playoffs …

These 3x3 in overtime loses are meaningless when it comes to 5x5 hockey.

The bad news is that 5x5 we aren’t generating offense much at all in our last 4 games (being 3 and the exhibition). One of our 2 5x5 goals tonight was an absolute fluke. Worried about playing Alaska next week, I don’t see a sweep coming for us unless we tweak the forward lines a bit to get Gaber going with someone else. 

22 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

The bad news is that 5x5 we aren’t generating offense much at all in our last 4 games (being 3 and the exhibition). One of our 2 5x5 goals tonight was an absolute fluke. Worried about playing Alaska next week, I don’t see a sweep coming for us unless we tweak the forward lines a bit to get Gaber going with someone else. 

This game they generated offense…a ton of it! They just can’t score.  I dont know what was going on. 

• Upvote 2

This is strangely similar to last year in that they had problems that lasted for the whole year (defense all in the corner for example) and no adjustments could fix it.  The last 4 games worry me.  We had a long break to change and now the exact same thing.

Defensively there were a couple really poor showings. The James line was great......he was outstanding.  Berg had a good night. Perron needs to play to his potential.  O-Mac is a very skilled center but not sure he's the fit between 9 and 17. Strinden needs a more prominent role. Just does too many good things every shift. Too many Grade A chance to only score 3 goals.

3x3 is just painful to watch. Tough to understand how they can't dominate with all their skill with all that space.

26 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we tank this season with the Frozen Four being in St. Paul and with the talent we have on the roster, it will be so discouraging. And it will make me start to question whether the current regime can take us back to the top of the mountain.

With the failure of Berry and Co. to right our obvious weaknesses going back as least as far as last year it makes you wonder.  How in the hell are Colorado College and the 18 and under team better than us 3 on 3?  

Just now, Sioux>Bison said:

Goon and the only women’s hockey program supporter scholsman think you are all overreacting! UND is fine. Nothing to get your panties wound up about

We'll see how it goes next weekend.  They need to break out of this little funk. 

I'm willing to overlook tonight's "loss" a bit...there was bound to be some rust after all that time off, they were playing without 3-4 of their normal starters (including the goalie that's played every minute of every game thus far), and it was an exhibition.  And it's not like they didn't generate a ton of offensive chances.  I'm sure the xG will back that up.  ;) :D

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-gets-first-extended-look-at-hobie-hedquist-in-exhibition

The good news: Persson's injury isn't significant.

UND coach Brad Berry said "he will play" when the Fighting Hawks resume regular-season action next weekend against Alaska (Fairbanks) in Ralph Engelstad Arena.

The other good news: UND finally got an extended look at freshman backup Hobie Hedquist.

Three other UND regulars sat out of the exhibition due to injuries — defenseman Jake Livanavage, defenseman Bennett Zmolek and forward Carson Albrecht. Berry said he expects to get some of them back next weekend. None of the injuries are expected to be longterm.

U.S. Under-18 Team goaltender Nick Kempf, who is committed to Notre Dame, spoiled what was mostly a strong effort from UND.

The Fighting Hawks outshot the American team, comprised of top 2006-born players in the country, 39-19 through three periods and received goals from Jackson Blake, Logan Britt and Hunter Johannes.

49 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Goon and the only women’s hockey program supporter scholsman think you are all overreacting! UND is fine. Nothing to get your panties wound up about

Carl Gerbschmidt has more respect than Goon as a journalist.....

But yeah it's an exhibition. Nothing matters as far as outcome.

Every goal the U-18's scored in regulation was off a d zone mishap.

Goal #3 and #4 can't happen if you're Hedquist.  He looks about half a foot off his angle on the OT game winner.  Maybe anticipating a pass across the zone, but Hutson had half the net to shoot at.

Lets hope we find a scoring touch against a team living in a hotel for an entire week.    

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Goon and the only women’s hockey program supporter Scholssman think you are all overreacting! UND is fine. Nothing to get your panties wound up about

It was an exhibition game with UND missing four of their top players. The loss didn't affect anything in the Pairwise Rankings. Based on what I read here, you'd think UND had lost in the first round of the NCHC playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Goon said:

It was an exhibition game with UND missing four of their top players. The loss didn't affect anything in the Pairwise Rankings. Based on what I read here, you'd think UND had lost in the first round of the NCHC playoffs. 

No one said the season is over but we sure have the right to be concerned we are not trending in the right direction. Some of us would like to avoid an early round exit