SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

17 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Curious what transfer portal LB and DL offers has UND made? 

Based on Schwenzfeier's twitter, I think the only offer out that would potentially be accepted is Gabe Duffy. The other offer's that were out, he no longer follows. He does follow two NAIA All-Americans. Not sure how that would translate. Appears to be pretty bare right now. Would have been nice to have at least one LB / DL transfer here for Spring Ball. I still strongly feel to give this team a chance next year, they need 2 Safety's (check), 2 OLB's, 2 DL's from the portal. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, AJS said:

Based on Schwenzfeier's twitter, I think the only offer out that would potentially be accepted is Gabe Duffy. The other offer's that were out, he no longer follows. He does follow two NAIA All-Americans. Not sure how that would translate. Appears to be pretty bare right now. Would have been nice to have at least one LB / DL transfer here for Spring Ball. I still strongly feel to give this team a chance next year, they need 2 Safety's (check), 2 OLB's, 2 DL's from the portal. 

Agreed - need some guys in for spring ball. It seems like the staff is following a lot of guys that are in the portal. Maybe they’re getting some guys on campus this weekend prior to offering? 

• 2 weeks later...

What these last two seasons have taught me is this coaching staff absolutely cannot recruit the portal at all. Too much competition. Going to have to do it the old fashioned way. 

1 minute ago, AJS said:

What these last two seasons have taught me is this coaching staff absolutely cannot recruit the portal at all. Too much competition. Going to have to do it the old fashioned way. 

Old fashioned way in this new modern age of college football is quite dangerous … and likely futile. Just get new coaches with a new approach. Until then, rinse and repeat. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, AJS said:

Yep. Will be one the reasons this staff will be gone after next season. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Old fashioned way in this new modern age of college football is quite dangerous … and likely futile. Just get new coaches with a new approach. Until then, rinse and repeat. 

To be fair, I think it’d be extremely difficult for any FCS program to really elevate their program to the next level based on the transfer portal. Old fashioned way for FCS will absolutely still work if you can retain & develop. UND like w/ their HS recruits is going to have to find guys w/ limited offers in the portal that turn out to be players.

All that being said, still extremely frustrating they so rarely win recruiting battles. That needs to change.