SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2023

sioux24/7

7 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Grad transferring means they are focused on their graduate level education. They transfer based on where the best grad program is that fits their needs. No need to black helicopter it.

Or likely aware that he can get up to 6 figures going elsewhere.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Time to take a step back and reevaluate two weeks from now when the dust has settled. This program needs something to happen to stop the bleeding. 

Yeah, for UND to make progress, they need to add at least 5 bona fide stars in the portal …

… good luck 

• Like 1

Are coordinators signed to multi-year contracts or are they one year deals?  If a new Head Coach comes in and wants to change the staff, are the assistants and coordinators paid for years to come or are they under contract ‘at the will of the head coach’?

6 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Possible, but I think another FCS school is more likely. I'm sure there are some schools out there that need an experienced guy to bridge them a year while they develop a younger guys. Or someone to create a QB competition with a current started who isn't very good.

Tommy isn't going power 5 (even that would be super cool!), but there could even be some MAC schools that would give a guy with his experience and numbers a look. I get there are plenty out there who think he was mediocre across the board, but his numbers don't lie either. He may not have all of the measurables that some kids do, but he did a ton for UND. Personally, I think our deficiencies have more to do with poor situational play calling, but that's just me. 

I would think Tommy's landing spot will also heavily depend on school programs and location. Some in Michigan or Illinois?? E Illinois, W Illinois (moving conference)?? E Michigan? I really have no clue what type of QB situations those schools have right now. Or maybe he will go D2 route. I suppose it depends how much does he want to play vs get some more scholly money and schooling.

Did we play any teams this year with a poor QB in need of replacement?

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Well that isn’t good. Is the locker room that bad?

Ben transferring hits the most out of all of them. Why it hurts the most is the defense needs all the help they can get and quality depth isn’t there. He was one of the best players on the field before he got hurt. Not sure he goes FBS going into the transfer portal injured.

2 hours ago, Parkers Pros said:

I think Ben was among the best transfers we brought in. I feel he is a bit undersized for a DE but made up for it often times with motor. That being said progression is required in the trenches and guys that are 25 to 30lbs heavier but just as athletic as he is, is what we are looking for. 275 to 280. I hope Ben lands on his feet. 

I wouldn’t say he is undersized. He was the best DE we had on the team. The defense wasn’t playing well since he got hurt. This one will have a huge effect on next year unfortunately.

• Like 1

If you just look at player development over their career this coaching staff has failed miserably.  Quite a few underclassmen have looked great and by senior year they are just out there playing football for und.  I see it two ways.  Either they weren’t talented to begin with or they fell into bubbas complacency bubble.  I say it’s bubbas bubble.  

This years game against Ndsu  is enough proof.  They can play with anybody when influenced by outsiders. Players need that “speech”. I would assume bubbas speeches are very similar to his pre game, half time and post game interviews.  Stale and boring. They need to feel the want to succeed. Bubba can’t “ignite”.  

If I had to say in one word how to describe this coaching staff it’s STALE 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

If you just look at player development over their career this coaching staff has failed miserably.  Quite a few underclassmen have looked great and by senior year they are just out there playing football for und.  I see it two ways.  Either they weren’t talented to begin with or they fell into bubbas complacency bubble.  I say it’s bubbas bubble.  

This years game against Ndsu  is enough proof.  They can play with anybody when influenced by outsiders. Players need that “speech”. I would assume bubbas speeches are very similar to his pre game, half time and post game interviews.  Stale and boring. They need to feel the want to succeed. Bubba can’t “ignite”.  

If I had to say in one word how to describe this coaching staff it’s STALE 

Submitted to quick 

Was going to end with ….the reason I believe most players transfer is the connection to the coach. Any sport any level any state.  Transfers are happening everywhere and it’s sickening.   At und …if I had to guess most feel bubba is a second dad. He is genuine and a great guy that will look out for them. You love guy but he just isn’t helping you succeed on the field.  He doesn’t have ability to get the most out of his players. That would lead to some transferring IMO.  

8 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Submitted to quick 

Was going to end with ….the reason I believe most players transfer is the connection to the coach. Any sport any level any state.  Transfers are happening everywhere and it’s sickening.   At und …if I had to guess most feel bubba is a second dad. He is genuine and a great guy that will look out for them. You love guy but he just isn’t helping you succeed on the field.  He doesn’t have ability to get the most out of his players. That would lead to some transferring IMO.  

In short: Bubba is too old.

Need somebody half his age that the players actually want to listen to. A coach that can relate to players and know how to motivate them.