SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Duluth Saturday Night

cowboys5xsbs

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-finishes-sweep-of-minnesota-duluth-with-2-0-victory

Schloss says that UND hit four posts tonight.

On Saturday, the scoreline was kept close by Minnesota Duluth goaltender Matthew Thiessen and his posts. UND hit four of them and the Vancouver Canucks draft pick made two brilliant desperation saves.

Update on Schmaltz's injury.

The biggest concern coming out of the game was an upper-body injury to Jake Schmaltz in the second period. He left the ice with trainer Mark Poolman and didn't return.

"He's day-to-day," Berry said. "We'll go back and take a look at him and see where he's at."

Hopefully he's good to go for Miami next weekend.

• Upvote 1

The senior class at UND has not lost at Amsoil in their career.  Crazy. 

I was happy to see Bast out there in a top four d pairing for Duluth.  Glad he's somewhere where he will play, and play a lot.

Sandy may have his work cut out for him with this group.  Not much all weekend for Biondi or Spicer.  And Thiessen should be in the running for NCHC goaltender of the week.  He's the reason last night wasn't 6-0.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

The announcers had a Duluth flavor all weekend - maybe not as bad but certainly not neutral 

In other news, they were the Duluth broadcast team, not a neutral third party (ala CBSSN).

Next we’ll hear Tim Hennessy may question calls that negatively impact UND. ;) 

• Upvote 2

If Schmaltz is worse than D2D this might be the best time:

- Miami and Bemidji for the next four
- Ness playing fourth center decently
- Louie goes back to center and the top two centers are OMac and Berg 

Anyone notice how they shuffled the lines when Schmaltz went down?
Assume LouieJam to C and Kunz went from extra to the vacant wing (where LouieJam had been). 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, brianvf said:

Ha, hopefully the major is the main subject of his article. 
It's certainly the only reason that they lost.  ;) :D 

Questionable … OK … :silly:

Duluth was in chippy mode and it was uncalled most of the night. Like I said, Duluth finally gave something that could be looked at by the league office; the game officials had to act and had to take back control. The major was justified and was also an accumulation of uncalled items. 

That’s Duluth’s game: chippy. They want you to react and lose focus. They are trying to draw power play chances. Blake did react and give a PP and frankly it could not have happened at a better time. <— Say what? … It happened at the end of a period where the team could be refocused on (a) what not to pay attention to, and (b) what does require their attention. 

After the shot to Johannes’ jaw (the major) if that wouldn’t have been called it could’ve gone ugly* … right to UMD’s plan. 

* I fear to see what 24 y/o men like 13 and 28 would do to 18 y/o boys. 

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Questionable … OK … :silly:

Duluth was in chippy mode and it was uncalled most of the night. Like I said, Duluth finally gave something that could be looked at by the league office; the game officials had to act and had to take back control. The major was justified and was also an accumulation of uncalled items. 

That’s Duluth’s game: chippy. They want you to react and lose focus. They are trying to draw power play chances. Blake did react and give a PP and frankly it could not have happened at a better time. <— Say what? … It happened at the end of a period where the team could be refocused on (a) what not to pay attention to, and (b) what does require their attention. 

After the shot to Johannes’ jaw (the major) if that wouldn’t have been called it could’ve gone ugly* … right to UMD’s plan. 

* I fear to see what 24 y/o men like 13 and 28 would do to 18 y/o boys. 

I thought that Nathan Wieler and Ryan Hersey had rough weekend, there were a bunch of high hits by the Bulldogs that went uncalled. I think those two need to have unpaid vacation next weekend. They were horrendous. I like to see another look of the hit on Schmaltz, that looked pretty questionable. Of course, there was no replay.