SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Duluth Saturday Night

cowboys5xsbs

9 hours ago, tnt said:

Yeah, it wasn’t long after that, in fact I think the same shift that Loheit cross checked Dylan James after the whistle right in front of the ref, and it didn’t become a penalty until after Jamernik stuck up for his teammates.  

That was flabbergasting. 
More hilarious is they took Loheit and James, not Loheit and Jamernik. 

< in my best NHL Dept of Player Safety review and sanction announcement voice

As can be seen in the video, Schmaltz was low, turning to the boards, and defenseless.
Loheit had time to brake or avoid contact; instead, note Loheit's right arm. There was primary contact to the head/neck region with a follow through into the boards. 

This is contact to the head boarding. 
This is a dangerous play. 

For comparison: to the head and avoidable

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

< in my best NHL Dept of Player Safety review and sanction announcement voice

As can be seen in the video, Schmaltz was low, turning to the boards, and defenseless.
Loheit had time to brake or avoid contact; instead, note Loheit's right arm. There was primary contact to the head/neck region with a follow through into the boards. 

This is contact to the head boarding. 
This is a dangerous play. 

For comparison: to the head and avoidable

How do you assess the chances of discipline for this?   The NCAA's rep on review of hits like this?

On 11/11/2023 at 9:11 PM, burd said:

For a team that is so new to itself to go 7-2-1 right out of the gate in the toughest part of their schedule is impressive.   D and Goaltending have been better than we could have hoped for.   

It really has been impressive. All six of our regular defensemen along with Persson have been brilliant. Such a dramatic difference than last season. They four players brought in from the portal are all so sound and structured in their own zone, you can are 100% certain why they were recruited for this season (and some for more).

On 11/11/2023 at 9:22 PM, brianvf said:

Ha, hopefully the major is the main subject of his article. 
It's certainly the only reason that they lost.  ;) :D 

It's INSANE that's his lede of the story. We absolutely dominated that game outside of the first four minutes. Had that major never occurred, they would still have had to scramble for TWO ENGs. Not one. Two.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It really has been impressive. All six of our regular defensemen along with Persson have been brilliant. Such a dramatic difference than last season. They four players brought in from the portal are all so sound and structured in their own zone, you can are 100% certain why they were recruited for this season (and some for more).

I'm going to credit all eight.

Losing Zmolek and Pehrson for a couple games each, and Pyke getting dinged and not finishing a game, and still the performance met expectations. 

• Upvote 3

There are so many aspects of recruiting that are difficult to predict, so many moving parts that must perform well as a whole.   We don’t know that this D corps will continue to play this well, but their fundamentals have been so strong.   It’s not showy talent, just reliable and efficient play.   I hope coach Simpson is part of the reason why; he’ll still be here when new players replace the old.

2 minutes ago, Goon said:

Speaking of things that make me smile, I re-read Bruce Ciskie's pre-season predictions and it seems he underestimated the UND hockey team. I know it's early, but the eight D-men in question have performed pretty well against a really tough schedule. 

Same with that YouTube "podcast" from those gentlemen from St. Cloud lol.

50 minutes ago, burd said:

There are so many aspects of recruiting that are difficult to predict, so many moving parts that must perform well as a whole.   We don’t know that this D corps will continue to play this well, but their fundamentals have been so strong.   It’s not showy talent, just reliable and efficient play.   I hope coach Simpson is part of the reason why; he’ll still be here when new players replace the old.

I’ll take reliable and efficient over spotty and showy any day!

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

LOL he's basically a point per game and is tied for second in goals on the team. Not his normal pace, but hardly not a good start for the guy.

Jimmy Snuggerud is at 9 points as well.  When you are playing the best of the best, I think a point per game is an acceptable benchmark.  There have been a few games when Gaber wasn't as noticeable, but overall I think he's been good.  He isn't shooting as much as he did last year either, and to me that shows he wants to be less predictable by giving the puck back to the distributors. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

... Gaber wasn't as noticeable, but overall I think he's been good.  He isn't shooting as much as he did last year either, and to me that shows he wants to be less predictable by giving the puck back to the distributors. 

Gaber may realize he no longer has the best wrist shot or one-timer on the team, but still top 10% in the league.
If he realizes that his experience makes him more dangerous: he can shoot and he knows who is likely open. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, tnt said:

Jimmy Snuggerud is at 9 points as well.  When you are playing the best of the best, I think a point per game is an acceptable benchmark.  There have been a few games when Gaber wasn't as noticeable, but overall I think he's been good.  He isn't shooting as much as he did last year either, and to me that shows he wants to be less predictable by giving the puck back to the distributors. 

I think that's a good point, look who UND has played so far. No slouches. 

1 hour ago, burd said:

I also wonder how involved he is with teaching defensive play of the forwards, who are an important part of the defense.

That, and I wonder about world peace.   

1 hour ago, burd said:

I also wonder how involved he is with teaching defensive play of the forwards, who are an important part of the defense.

That, and I wonder about world peace.   

I like to say a prayer and drink to world peace.

• Upvote 2