SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UNI 10/21/2023

SiouxFan100

27 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

His numbers at Mankato are crazy. The legal stuff appeared to be socially and politically motivated to a degree. Not wise to have personal things on a work phone, but seems to be a winner. 

Yeah his legal stuff is a non issue.  The NSIC isn't what it used to be either, however.  If UND doesn't have the money to hire a current FCS coach, I think they should think long and hard before firing their coaching staff.  I am a bit down on Danny's play calling this year, but if he were promoted to head coach, there's no reason UND couldn't hire someone from the outside as the new OC who could work with Danny to improve the offense even more.  

Hard to know who is responsible for UND's road struggles without having inside info as to what Danny and Bubba are thinking.  Does Danny disagree with anything Bubba is doing for example?  Who knows.  How much say does Bubba have in respect to play calling and personnel?  Freund clearly wasn't on board with Rudolph's philosophy, so, similarly, who's to say he wouldn't make changes if he were promoted to head coach?  None of us know those answers.

• Upvote 2

On 10/22/2023 at 8:33 AM, Mama Sue said:

He had  some issues too…every coach does (and he left coaching so not so sure about that). The question is: is UND willing to pay what it takes to get a quality, experience  head coach and then follow up with all the $$$ to promote the team?

I mean, the history of paying minimal $$$ for all inexperienced coaches several years ago should be fresh in the minds of administration.

Until there is a $$$ commitment, we should support Bubba not ax him.  I am sure the time commitment and steer makes many coaches wonder….many jobs are like that.

On 10/22/2023 at 8:42 AM, geaux_sioux said:

Our football budget is way bigger than Northern Iowa’s fwiw. 

On 10/22/2023 at 8:45 AM, Oxbow6 said:

Sssssshhhh......that doesn't fit the narrative of some here that blame all the FB ills on the hockey program.

Not sure UNI is the best comparison, because their issues are largely the same as UND's issues (usually pretty good teams, but inconsistent).

North Dakota coaching budget for Fiscal Year 2022 (2021-2022 Season)

image.png.6f04e84f522f2a80b3ce23766bbcd28a.png

Northern Iowa coaching budget for Fiscal Year 2022 (2021-2022 Season)

image.png.fd346ea5f95426abe7c5422ea3cfe27b.png

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Amazing what can happen when you don't have to throw off your back foot with 2-3 guys breaking through before WR's have ran their routes.
Not sure why the OL (and DL) were such a mess this week but that needs to be fixed immediately. The rest will take care of itself.

He has resurrected!!!

Still waiting to hear who I should email to get us a new QB

• Upvote 2

Indiana State is up next at home. Let’s enjoy the season and look forward to the playoffs. This team is representing UND, Grand Forks, and it’s alumni very well and I am proud of them.

from kelly at und360........

what's this "P" word people keep looking forward to?

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Indiana State is up next at home. Let’s enjoy the season and look forward to the playoffs. This team is representing UND, Grand Forks, and it’s alumni very well and I am proud of them.

Did he also say to burn the tape again??

For a third time this season.....

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

CSnNtdAWwAASwkK.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Yeah his legal stuff is a non issue.  The NSIC isn't what it used to be either, however.  If UND doesn't have the money to hire a current FCS coach, I think they should think long and hard before firing their coaching staff.  I am a bit down on Danny's play calling this year, but if he were promoted to head coach, there's no reason UND couldn't hire someone from the outside as the new OC who could work with Danny to improve the offense even more.  

Hard to know who is responsible for UND's road struggles without having inside info as to what Danny and Bubba are thinking.  Does Danny disagree with anything Bubba is doing for example?  Who knows.  How much say does Bubba have in respect to play calling and personnel?  Freund clearly wasn't on board with Rudolph's philosophy, so, similarly, who's to say he wouldn't make changes if he were promoted to head coach?  None of us know those answers.

I think you’re correct. If Danny had identified several changes he would like to implement if he were head coach, then you need to hire him, but you can’t promote him if the status quo will be carried forward. The problem is it is very easy to say you will make changes in order to just get promoted.

It is hurtful to say but I think a new head coach from outside the current staff is the best answer here.

22 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

This kind of stuff is ridiculous. Again, conditioned to be okay with mediocrity. It’s awful. We can’t get out of our own way. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

My head went to 2 Live Crew right away..........

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Who knew being a loving father was considered baggage……..

To the half-a-story, agenda crowd* being relieved of duty is forever baggage, whether he was cleared of any wrongdoing or not. 

*Think rivals fans should he be hired elsewhere 

55 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

8-3 is still in scope
7-4 would mean a playoff win is required or there will be great skepticism
6-5 and heads should roll 

does 7-4 mean you are in the playoffs?

Interesting schedule this year in the MVFC with who plays and who does not play.

Looking at rest of season

SDSU--assume they will go 11-0

USD--6-1 now, probably have 1 W and 1 L on their schedule so 7-2 with tossups with game at SIU and UND at home

UNI--4-3 now. have 1 W on schedule so 5-3 with 3 tossups games left, at Illinois State, at Missouri State and NDSU at home

YSU--4-3 now. 3 W's on schedule and 1 L...so 7-4

UND--4-3 now. 2 W's on schedule so 6-3 with games at USD and Illinois State at home

NDSU 5-2 now. 1 W and 1L on schedule so 6-3 with home game against SIU and road game at UNI

SIU--5-2 now. 2 W's on schedule. So 7-2 USD at home and at NDSU

Illinois State--4-3 now 1 W on schdule so 5-3 with home game with UNI, road game at Missouri State and finish at UND

Missouri State--3-4 with 2 L's on schedule so 3-6 but could spoil Illinois State's and UNI's seasons as they have them both at home.

SDSU with 11 wins and I count 3 teams that should easily get to 7 wins plus NDSU and UND should be able to get there as well. That is potentially 6 teams making their case and IF SIU beats USD and they beat us, that is two teams at 8.......we might be in the playoffs(1 and done) right now.

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Not sure UNI is the best comparison, because their issues are largely the same as UND's issues (usually pretty good teams, but inconsistent).

North Dakota coaching budget for Fiscal Year 2022 (2021-2022 Season)

image.png.6f04e84f522f2a80b3ce23766bbcd28a.png

Northern Iowa coaching budget for Fiscal Year 2022 (2021-2022 Season)

image.png.fd346ea5f95426abe7c5422ea3cfe27b.png

FWIW per the most recent reporting to the Knight Commission UND has the third largest budget in the Valley and spends nearly 2 million more than UNI per year. UNI, meanwhile, has the second lowest budget in the Valley ahead of only WIU who is leaving the league.