SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UNI 10/21/2023

SiouxFan100

27 minutes ago, Big Green said:

There is a reason Tommy was a D2 recruit.  He would be a good D2 QB.  If we didn’t have a QB decommit right before signing day he wouldn’t be in the program.  He became the starting QB be default as our QB room was so bad.  I sure hope he is not back next year as we seem to have a pretty good room right now.  I know he gets credit for being calm and composed but he just looks lost to me. 

But Walter Payton?? But school records?? But posters with vendettas against him?? How is this possible?

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So just accept that the status quo is as good as it will ever get? We are capable of so much more. We need to establish a Division I funding model that doesn't rely so much on 50/50 raffles and selling tickets to walk-up crowds on game day.

No, never accept mediocrity BUT the coaches coach and someone else needs to do PR and media. I do like their recent FB posts for the hype in the community. Is there no one on payroll or volunteers to do OR and marketing?

Haven’t read the previous comments, but here is what I observed yesterday:

- UNI turf has to be the oldest in the country; the type of turf you wear basketball shoes on. Just an observation 

- we need to simplify the offensive play calling on the road; when you’re out of a rhythm get back to the basics 

- missed FG was brutal 

- punting was not good 

- this is the most frustrating part: down 17-0, with 40+ seconds left in the half, on 3rd and 18 for UNI in their own territory, while having 3 timeouts, we decide to let them run the clock out into the half. WTF?!?!? could have at least tried for a blocked punt, or ANYTHING to get some momentum. That was the low point in the game for me. Unreal 

1 minute ago, forksandspoons said:

- UNI turf has to be the oldest in the country; the type of turf you wear basketball shoes on. Just an observation 

- we need to simplify the offensive play calling on the road; when you’re out of a rhythm get back to the basics 

- missed FG was brutal 

- punting was not good 

- this is the most frustrating part: down 17-0, with 40+ seconds left in the half, on 3rd and 18 for UNI in their own territory, while having 3 timeouts, we decide to let them run the clock out into the half. WTF?!?!? could have at least tried for a blocked punt, or ANYTHING to get some momentum. That was the low point in the game for me. Unreal 

most frustrating part was seeing tommy pull on his glove and chin strap to start the second half............

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

He had  some issues too…every coach does (and he left coaching so not so sure about that). The question is: is UND willing to pay what it takes to get a quality, experience  head coach and then follow up with all the $$$ to promote the team?

I mean, the history of paying minimal $$$ for all inexperienced coaches several years ago should be fresh in the minds of administration.

Until there is a $$$ commitment, we should support Bubba not ax him.  I am sure the time commitment and steer makes many coaches wonder….many jobs are like that.

I think you missed the point here. I’m not advocating for Dale to leave his position with the State Historical Society, but I am advocating for new leadership like what Dale brings to the table. Bubba just doesn’t have it. Nice guy, wish him the best, but my sources extend well beyond the numerous road debacles we witness on the field/television. Time to move on, several others agree, but I don’t know if the actual people making the decisions agree. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoodGood said:

He’s probably not the answer but I just want to see him call plays for a QB that can throw the ball more than 5 yards downfield. 

Yeah well he and Bubba have had that opportunity for years, so whose fault is it? There are plenty of QBs on the roster.  With that said, need to be cautious because everyone always loves the back up QB until they actually go out there and play. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Big Green said:

If not going to say the NDSU game is meaningless, but sure has the chance to be.  All the win did was set us up to be the best team in the state and a national championship contender.  If we finish 7-4 and lose in the 1st or 2nd round we have not really gotten anywhere.  In the mean time if NDSU gets to 8-3, which I think they will and makes a run in the playoffs we are stuck in the same place.  Right now last week seems like a fluke.  We need to finish the year ahead of Ndsu or the win is meaningless.

Either a fluke or a major missed opportunity, both inexcusable. This coaching staff / program is so frustrating. 

• Upvote 1

I’m sure Indiana state is breaking down our film and will know every weakness we have and will attack those areas

wont be easy to win against them

not sure how our coaches will attack the next game

there will be some head scratching calls 

we have to be the worst team at making in game or any adjustments 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think you missed the point here. I’m not advocating for Dale to leave his position with the State Historical Society, but I am advocating for new leadership like what Dale brings to the table. Bubba just doesn’t have it. Nice guy, wish him the best, but my sources extend well beyond the numerous road debacles we witness on the field/television. Time to move on, several others agree, but I don’t know if the actual people making the decisions agree. 

See my second post clarifying the statement. YOU missed the point. People who know more than me can evaluate coaches and rehire/replace. My point is that a first class, successful team needs MORE than coaching (but coaching comes first). The PER, media, fundraising and role in the community is a package deal we seem to be missing. It is very hard/impossible to focus on that after watching the game yesterday. But the program needs help. Start with coaching (the most important) but that  is not all we need.

2 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

6 years is the oldest in the country?

Because of the constraints of their facility, UNI chose to go with the non-infill version of the same turf that's in the Fargodome and Dakotadome. Instead of PVC infill on top of the base layer, they went with a PVC pad under the base layer. 

They tried an infill turf last time and it was a complete disaster for them.

33 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

6 years is the oldest in the country?

Because of the constraints of their facility, UNI chose to go with the non-infill version of the same turf that's in the Fargodome and Dakotadome. Instead of PVC infill on top of the base layer, they went with a PVC pad under the base layer. 

They tried an infill turf last time and it was a complete disaster for them.

Excuse my ignorance for not knowing the history of their turf. I was pointing out that it looked like crap 

45 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

The PER, media, fundraising and role in the community is a package deal we seem to be missing.

Win games and that will come. Don’t put the cart before the horse. You’re right that coaching is the most important and first on the list (that is the horse).

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

How many games has this coaching staff lost because they have just settled with below avg kickers? 

Screenshot_20231022_144514_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4b2e3afbbd707c152402a4eee23731a3.jpg

What good kicker did we pass up? Why can’t we recruit a better kicker. CJ taking over for Stevens said something but we are still missing a elects kicker like from the D2 days

1 minute ago, Sioux>Bison said:

What good kicker did we pass up? Why can’t we recruit a better kicker. CJ taking over for Stevens said something but we are still missing a elects kicker like from the D2 days

This is where they messed up. #92 would have made that kick yesterday.

When Ziebarth went out of the game their run game was non existent. It is very clear what he means to this offense. Just my opinion. Both in the run game and pass game. And I’m talking about his pass protection. 

I’m also curious why Tommy played in the 4th? He clearly wasn’t getting the job done.

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Because extra points are too close and it makes him nervous? He’s money between 25-35 yards? 

He’s money from everywhere. But unfortunately he didn’t get the opportunity to kick that FG yesterday so I guess we’ll never know. But I have faith in #92 to make any kick. 

36 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The kicker certainly wasn’t the only reason UND lost 27-0 yesterday. Perhaps one of the reasons, but only one of many, many, many sad unfortunate reasons. 

I agree,

Just like NDSU week Offense-Defense-Special Teams-Preparation/coaching led them to victory, unfortunately, UNI week where the Offense-Defense-Special Teams-Preparation/coaching led to the defeat. 

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We are missing a kicker that is as good as the local high schools.. I’m not sure if it’s talent or scheme.. GFC hit a game winner from 44 Friday night 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

He’s money from everywhere. But unfortunately he didn’t get the opportunity to kick that FG yesterday so I guess we’ll never know. But I have faith in #92 to make any kick. 

I think he has already missed 2 xtra points this year.. so not money from about 20 yds..