SiouxSports.com Forum

Homecoming: Western Illinois @ UND

UND-FB-FAN

6 minutes ago, shep said:

Good to watch this. 

Z has good moves and heads downhill very quickly. 

Ted Mullen-Athlete. Great speed on the pick six.

Tommy with a great juke. Guys underwear is still on the turf. Tommy broke an ankle leatherneck ankle not Isaiah 's.  Isaiah ran great with a broken ankle caused by Tommy.  Why all this BS on UND football.  ARE YOU REALLY A SUPPORT OF UND FOOTBALL.

Saw another UND receiver slip on the turf.

Not on you shep.

The highlights highlight the idiot complains

• Upvote 1

Lots of QB hate here but this guy will be the all time leader in pretty much everything, stat wise, when he is done. It’s been a long time since we’ve had this kind of stability back there. We should feel very lucky. because we have no idea what we got behind him. A lot of hope.

This is Tommies team. If there was another quarterback on the roster better than the one who has been starting, Who gave us a better chance to win, they would start. If Tommy lays a complete dud this weekend, maybe you think about pulling the trigger on someone else. But it would have to be a complete meltdown.

Considering he finishes the year, If Tommy comes back, and isn’t any better than he has been showing in the big games, you got a think it’ll be an open competition between at least the top three guys. Or they tell Tommy that he should transfer, grad transfer, or go somewhere else and hand the keys to Trey. 

I am optimistic that we can make this a game on Saturday. It used to be we would need several things to go our way to win this game. If our defense plays the way, it did against Boise, we have a legitimate shot. If it was the Defense that played South Dakota State, we are in big trouble. They will once again, drop the plow, and go to town. We have to stop the run and run the ball. This means this game is not going to be won by Tommy, but by the offensive & defensive lines.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

Lots of QB hate here but this guy will be the all time leader in pretty much everything, stat wise, when he is done. It’s been a long time since we’ve had this kind of stability back there. We should feel very lucky. because we have no idea what we got behind him. A lot of hope.

This is Tommies team. If there was another quarterback on the roster better than the one who has been starting, Who gave us a better chance to win, they would start. If Tommy lays a complete dud this weekend, maybe you think about pulling the trigger on someone else. But it would have to be a complete meltdown.

Considering he finishes the year, If Tommy comes back, and isn’t any better than he has been showing in the big games, you got a think it’ll be an open competition between at least the top three guys. Or they tell Tommy that he should transfer, grad transfer, or go somewhere else and hand the keys to Trey. 

I am optimistic that we can make this a game on Saturday. It used to be we would need several things to go our way to win this game. If our defense plays the way, it did against Boise, we have a legitimate shot. If it was the Defense that played South Dakota State, we are in big trouble. They will once again, drop the plow, and go to town. We have to stop the run and run the ball. This means this game is not going to be won by Tommy, but by the offensive & defensive lines.

Well said, except I think Kaminski is starting next year over Trey. I suspect it will be a great battle in fall camp between the top 3 which Kaminski wins. Tommy transfers and Trey hopefully stays to push Kaminski and be a great backup.

6 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Lots of good points as usual.  My over arching point on Tommy and this offense is Tommy's lack of running when combined with a serious lack of downfield throwing attempts, makes our offense much easier to defend than an offense where the QB is a threat to run and make throws down the field.  We can argue about the causes of this predicament, but without those two cards to play, Danny has to rely on scheme and just over powering the opponent.  The better opponents are not going to be over powered, so then we are left with scheme to score points.

I’m less concerned about Tommy’s running than getting the run game going for our RB’s. Your point is well taken in that teams don’t tend to worry about Tommy running. Tommy is typically running to avoid trouble. He isn’t a powerful runner nor does he have the speed and quickness of the better running QB’s. I don’t believe any D coordinator is designing a defense with a guy to pay attention to Tommy’s running potential. 
I still think the most important key to our success offensively is our line play. With an effective run game it allows Danny to open up the play book and gives whoever is QB time to go from wheel routes, bubble screens, and short crossing patterns to the 15-20yd deeper pattern. 
I share your concerns but for now it seems it’s Tommy so my comments are more on what he can do and what the team and staff need to do to help him be successful. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

Tommy's mom has entered the chat.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Goose15 said:

Well said, except I think Kaminski is starting next year over Trey. I suspect it will be a great battle in fall camp between the top 3 which Kaminski wins. Tommy transfers and Trey hopefully stays to push Kaminski and be a great backup.

Maybe, if he is good enough, but what does Kaminski have that makes you think he will play ahead of either Feeney or Romfo?  

1 minute ago, Goose15 said:

I have seen him practice multiple times and he has more physical talent imo, than both. He should have a grasp on the mental side going into year two as well. Lastly, I have had a couple conversations with Danny and he has told me in both conversations when talking about recruiting and the future that Kaminski will be a stud. 

you don't bike to watch practice bc that would be weird.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

I wonder if he would if he were not #1.  My bet is that he would retire from football or maybe even play a backup role helping our new starter. 

That could certainly happen too. I just think if he loses the job here and has an opportunity to play elsewhere he would take it. 

9 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I wonder if he would if he were not #1.  My bet is that he would retire from football or maybe even play a backup role helping our new starter. 

I think one of these would be most likely as well. He's been at UND for 5 years, might just want to finish up a school and enjoy his last year instead of going to a new school where he knows nobody and start over. Would depend on how badly he wanted to play. 

23 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

ishai smith's broken ankle from tommy's laser beam in the drake game says otherwise (probably half the distance of the nate d throw and would've been a walk in 6)....and we missed the fg after that

can't happen against ndac...but probably will.

day by day

I've seen Mahomes miss some passes over the past few weeks as well. I've been saying it for years ... from the seat of my schwinn ... the guy is hot trash and should be replaced. Not really sure why he is in the league.

Obviously I'm being facetious, but you're a tad overkill in your criticisms as well, which is why nobody takes you seriously on here. Yes, Tommy has missed some throws (probably more than we have seen over the past few years), I also think they are asking him to do a little more, which they should. You've made a habit of highlighting the few bad throws that he has made and none of the good ones. It would be ludicrous to say he hasn't made any great team plays this year, and I don't give a flying F if that is with his arm or feet or whatever.

Bottom line, he isn't perfect but failures aren't only on him. Boise was the first really bad game I've seen him play. The scheme and preparation for SDSU was atrocious (Trying to run Q anywhere but 2 yards up the gut is a terrible idea). Coaches seem to outcoach themselves in big games and have done so for a while.

Now Jerry may be able to throw the ball a mile and throw a bullet, I don't know. But can he consistently throw with accuracy? Can he quickly identify when it is safe to throw the ball into coverage and give his WR a chance? I only ask this because, lets say we flip the QB and Jerry throws for 400 yards but has 3 INT in a game, we haven't exactly stepped in the right direction either. I'm really excited to see what the kid brings to this program, but I don't think we can state with certainty he is ready to do that. I think it is also fairly clear that even if Tommy got pulled, Trey will be the guy ... though I would really like to see Jerry get some reps this season, maybe a quarter or even a half against Indiana St or Murray St?

All arguments and opinion aside .... whoever is lined up under center this week (Tommy) lets just go get a win! That's what we all want and that's what UND football needs. 4-2 with losses to Boise and SDSU and a win over NDSU would not look too bad. Only problem is that they lost to USD and now if they lose to us it will be more about how they are having a bad year, rather than us having a good one, but I'll still take the W.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I've seen Mahomes miss some passes over the past few weeks as well. I've been saying it for years ... from the seat of my schwinn ... the guy is hot trash and should be replaced. Not really sure why he is in the league.

Obviously I'm being facetious, but you're a tad overkill in your criticisms as well, which is why nobody takes you seriously on here. Yes, Tommy has missed some throws (probably more than we have seen over the past few years), I also think they are asking him to do a little more, which they should. You've made a habit of highlighting the few bad throws that he has made and none of the good ones. It would be ludicrous to say he hasn't made any great team plays this year, and I don't give a flying F if that is with his arm or feet or whatever.

Bottom line, he isn't perfect but failures aren't only on him. Boise was the first really bad game I've seen him play. The scheme and preparation for SDSU was atrocious (Trying to run Q anywhere but 2 yards up the gut is a terrible idea). Coaches seem to outcoach themselves in big games and have done so for a while.

Now Jerry may be able to throw the ball a mile and throw a bully, I don't know. But can he consistently throw with accuracy? Can he quickly identify when it is safe to throw the ball into coverage and give his WR a chance? I only ask this because, lets say we flip the QB and Jerry throws for 400 yards but has 3 INT in a game, we haven't exactly stepped in the right direction either. I'm really excited to see what the kid brings to this program, but I don't think we can state with certainty he is ready to do that. I think it is also fairly clear that even if Tommy got pulled, Trey will be the guy ... though I would really like to see Jerry get some reps this season, maybe a quarter or even a half against Indiana St or Murray St?

All arguments and opinion aside .... whoever is lined up under center this week (Tommy) lets just go get a win! That's what we all want and that's what UND football needs. 4-2 with losses to Boise and SDSU and a win over NDSU would not look too bad. Only problem is that they lost to USD and now if they lose to us it will be more about how they are having a bad year, rather than us having a good one, but I'll still take the W.

posts like these are why nobody takes you seriously on here.

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

posts like these are why nobody takes you seriously on here.

please elaborate. Any maybe "taking you seriously" was a poor choice of words, but you tend to get a lot of combative posts. Maybe its because you give the same criticisms over and over but never recognize when there are positives. It comes across as more of a personal vendetta rather than a player or game analysis.

21 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

please elaborate. Any maybe "taking you seriously" was a poor choice of words, but you tend to get a lot of combative posts. Maybe its because you give the same criticisms over and over but never recognize when there are positives. It comes across as more of a personal vendetta rather than a player or game analysis.

how is saying we have the best qb recruit (maybe even 2 of em) on campus in decades sitting behind what people are finally seeing as a "game manager" controversial to post on a message board....

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

as for the postives......i guess i depends on how long you've been a sioux fan and what your expectations are......my first game i remember is probably early 80's....started "knowing" football and whatnot late 80's....around 1990 asking my dad if we've always lost to the bison if the sioux suck?

then MMM happened!!!! then 10 years of dominance...went to first bizon sioux game in fargodome (1993 or so)...loved watching those fat cows leave early in at the time was a beautiful quonset to go home to their fat cows...

then bizons and jacks took their balls to fcs and we thought "they'll be back"....nope  ....five years later we "joined" them...for us..kinda (gwc/bsc)....

now 15 or so years into d1 we are as far away as competitive with as least sdac...soon to find out about the other ag school....as we've ever been .....where have those/these 15 years gotten us?

positives?  it's all relative depending on age  and expectations and history.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

how is saying we have the best qb recruit (maybe even 2 of em) on campus in decades sitting behind what people are finally seeing as a "game manager" controversial to post on a message board....

I never said anything about controversial. I'm just saying you love to point out when Tommy makes a mistake. Or even when there is a completion, that it wasn't a good enough completion. Never see you posting screenshots or making comments about some of his good plays (and there are plenty of those too). Not saying he is the greatest of all time, so don't misinterpret me.

Lets also remember a QB recruit is nothing but potential until they get their shot. Tommy's play, while not perfect has hardly warranted a benching. My bigger fear with Jerry would be rushing him into play when he is not ready and wrecking that potential. Maybe he would step in and be an absolute stud, but I don't think anyone in this forum has enough first hand knowledge to make that call compared to the coaches. Still hoping he gets some reps in this year, and while I think Feeney has some great potential I'd love to see Jerry earn the spot over him next year. I know there is talk about Tommy wanting to stay next year which would be fine if the QB room was bare, but I do think there is something to letting the younger guys take over when they are ready. Which seems to be more of the discussion ... are they ready or not?

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

as for the postives......i guess i depends on how long you've been a sioux fan and what your expectations are......my first game i remember is probably early 80's....started "knowing" football and whatnot late 80's....around 1990 asking my dad if we've always lost to the bison if the sioux suck?

then MMM happened!!!! then 10 years of dominance...went to first bizon sioux game in fargodome (1993 or so)...loved watching those fat cows leave early in at the time was a beautiful quonset to go home to their fat cows...

then bizons and jacks took their balls to fcs and we thought "they'll be back"....nope  ....five years later we "joined" them...for us..kinda (gwc/bsc)....

now 15 or so years into d1 we are as far away as competitive with as least sdac...soon to find out about the other ag school....as we've ever been .....where have those/these 15 years gotten us?

positives?  it's all relative depending on age  and expectations and history.

My first year at UND was '03. A good time to come to GF and enjoy some football. Beat the Bison and I got to travel to Alabama with the band for the Nat'l Championship. Obviously that is the level I'd like to see them back to. Deep playoff runs. Nat'l Championship appearances and wins.

I still think the entire landscape could have looked different had we gone D1 when NDSU did. Maybe it wouldn't, but I think we would have competed with them on the field and on the recruiting trail. It could look very different, but maybe not. None of that really matters at this point though.

I hope Jerry is the guy that can help get us there, I just don't think it is this year. I'm more concerned about our overall D. There are some guys and some flashes, but doesn't seem like enough overall talent and depth across the board. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'd say this team is certainly better than a few years back where we were constantly teetering on the edge of the polls, we seem to have somewhat solidified ourselves in the 10-15 spot recently, but have yet to take that next step. This would be a great weekend to do that. Essentially what USD did with their win over the Bison.

• Upvote 4