SiouxSports.com Forum

Homecoming: Western Illinois @ UND

UND-FB-FAN

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

he's open.......is this an explosive play/chunk play if tommy a. leads him b. hits him in the hands.

maybe but we'll never know bc of pic 2...

ps....reed manke and klancher and stein and bowenkamp and kelby make this throw with their eyes closed every day and night.

Screenshot2023-09-1610_47_09PM.png.e0e68a4884f66971f40323403f82d45d.png

Screenshot2023-09-1610_47_24PM.png.2b36d51252694f62ac3cad8da2d8038d.png

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that this particular play was a miss.  I'd say that's a throw Tommy normally makes.

Just now, Dustin said:

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that this particular play was a miss.  I'd say that's a throw Tommy normally makes.

ishai smith's broken ankle from tommy's laser beam in the drake game says otherwise (probably half the distance of the nate d throw and would've been a walk in 6)....and we missed the fg after that

can't happen against ndac...but probably will.

day by day

17 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

ishai smith's broken ankle from tommy's laser beam in the drake game says otherwise (probably half the distance of the nate d throw and would've been a walk in 6)....and we missed the fg after that

day by day

You are fkn obnoxious.  Yes, he missed those throws. No, that doesn’t mean you make a switch at QB.  I’m  also 100% sure you were an absolute pia employee for whomever you worked for.

Anywho… looking forward to the weekend.  Go hawks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

For the people who say Tommy doesn't have a big enough arm, how far would you like him (or another QB) to throw?

To me my benchmark is 50 -60 yards so you can get the ball to the end zone on a hail mary. The bigger thing for me with Tommy are those tight window throws. Will he take them and put enough steam on them to beat the coverage? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BIGSIOUX said:

You are fkn obnoxious.  Yes, he missed those throws. No, that doesn’t mean you make a switch at QB.  I’m  also 100% sure you were an absolute pia employee for whomever you worked for.

Anywho… looking forward to the weekend.  Go hawks. 

does this go against siouxsports guidelines @The Sicatoka

*employee of the month last month at the mcdonalds on gateway so eat your heart out biggy.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

imo it's bubbas call on tommy to be his qb this year and next bc it's safer for his job employment this last couple years before retirement ....danny being younger would be more prone to going with trey or jerry knowing that those guys could/are program game changers at the qb position but also come with risk of learning on the job

if bubba wins six or more games a year he basically has a lifetime contract at und

If this is the case (I dont think it is).. Danny shouldnt be called associate head coach or whatever his title is.  My opinion is that Bubba lets Danny pick the starting QB and Danny (who gets to see them every day in practice.. in film etc) has decided Tommy is the best option right now.  There is nothing in the last couple of years that would lead me to believe that Bubba isnt letting Danny run the offense the way he wants to and call all the plays that he wants.  

Personally I would like to see Feeney more.. Danny could have played him the entire 2nd half this last weekend and there wouldnt have been any whispering or controversy or anything.  After Tommy took that big hit in the 2nd quarter and it took him a long time to get up.. I thought it was his last play of the day.  Instead Danny decided to put him back out there and play Romfo more than he played Feeney.  There is more going on here than you or I or anyone on this board knows but I really dont think its because Bubba has told Danny which QB he is required to play.

• Upvote 2

On 10/8/2023 at 9:16 AM, forksandspoons said:

Couple of things:

- The Romfo running package was awesome; hope they start mixing in some passes with it or it will become way too predictable 

- I want to see more of Donovan Hunt; he’s made the most of his carries and has a bright future 

If I was Hunt I would transfer to WIU. 

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

To state “Tommy doesn’t like to run” is nonsense. Unless he says that we don’t know. Running isn’t his strength. If need Tommy to run for 180yds we are in for a long afternoon.
If we get 180yds from one of our RB’s we should be in good shape. If that happens we will get yardage from our other RB’s and that should help our passing game, hopefully by slowing down the pass rush and giving Tommy more time to get through his reads. I don’t think he needs to run for 180yds but if he can avoid turnovers and avoid the rush he can be effective.
 He can throw 30-40 yds When he has time. It also allows receivers more time to get open. The majority of long pass plays aren’t cuz the QB is throwing the ball 40-50yds to wide open receivers. If one looks at yesterday’s NFL box scores they list longest reception for all receivers. There were only 6 guys who caught a pass that went over 40yds and only 2 that went over 60yds.
I would rather get to our reads faster, and see our receivers accelerate off of their breaks into the open seems against zone and away from defenders against man. I think that is one of the things that makes Belquist so effective. We have guys who can run a 4.5 maybe 4.4 40’s. We need to get open in the 10-25 yd areas. The 4.4-4.5 speed puts pressure on the defenders to respect the deep ball. but most long passes are from YAC not a guy who beats everyone on a go pattern. 
I agree with most who feel the key, as in most games, is the LOS. If we avoid turnovers, protect our QB and get a push off the LOS in the run game we will be tough to stop. Our defense must be able to stop the run and pressure their QB without letting them break free. They do throw to their TE and they will likely try to get guys open in crossing patterns. If we can do that, avoid any mistakes in punt/kick off, I like our chances. Lots of rhetoric to state we need a complete game every play from everyone of our guys. 

Lots of good points as usual.  My over arching point on Tommy and this offense is Tommy's lack of running when combined with a serious lack of downfield throwing attempts, makes our offense much easier to defend than an offense where the QB is a threat to run and make throws down the field.  We can argue about the causes of this predicament, but without those two cards to play, Danny has to rely on scheme and just over powering the opponent.  The better opponents are not going to be over powered, so then we are left with scheme to score points.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Lots of good points as usual.  My over arching point on Tommy and this offense is Tommy's lack of running when combined with a serious lack of downfield throwing attempts, makes our offense much easier to defend than an offense where the QB is a threat to run and make throws down the field.  We can argue about the causes of this predicament, but without those two cards to play, Danny has to rely on scheme and just over powering the opponent.  The better opponents are not going to be over powered, so then we are left with scheme to score points.

very well put......here come the personal shots/insults 3, 2, 1

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Exactly nobody has defended that throw, it was a bad throw and one that Tommy normally makes. But like death and taxes.....the only thing I know for sure we will see that pic posted at least 5-10 more times by him. 

I like Tommy and generally he has been good but he absolutely has some limitations, and really hasn't taken a step forward from last year to this year. I would have liked to seen Feeney in earlier last week to get him more Live reps, and if our offense is doing nothing against SU I hope they bring Feeney it to shake things up or something. This Saturday is a must win for the program. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dustin said:

It's all part of the same thing.

Pretty much, NDSU has had us figured out for a while on offense (Tommy/Danny). Last year we started our gangbusters on offense against SDSU, but then they figured us out and we haven't been able to do much since then. 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The WIU linebacker's ankles that Tommy broke probably beg to differ with your assessment of his ability to run when called upon.

I agree with this 100%.. Tommy can be super shifty.  That little TD run of his was great and he also had that QB Sack and escape and run that was fun to watch as well.  I also dont think anyone would confuse Tommy with a confident running quarterback.  Romfo looked much better running the ball than Tommy does and the two NDSU QB's are both much more confident runners than Tommy is.

Also.. another nice thing to point out has been the improvement in the extra point game CJ has looked great out there.  I still dont understand the gameplan of not kicking the ball into the endzone on kickoffs but Im also even more convinced that they are doing it on purpose versus lack of kicking ability which is a direct reflection on the special team coordinator.  Western Illinois had about 2 people with some real talent/ability and we managed to kick it to their best player every time #1.

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

(Never forget: Trent Dilfer has a SB ring; Dan Marino does not.)

Exception to the rule, not the norm. This is a deceiving argument. In all honesty, who would you rather have? 99 out of 100 would say Marino and the 1 who says Dilfer just likes to argue. 

UND is playing with a Dilfer right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

day by day

Hey.  Did Isaiah break an ankle if not quit the BS.  

12 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

did that throw aggravate or break his ankle? he has been knicked up a little hey

Watch this video from 5:33through 6:00. Isiah has a broken ankle?  Who's ankle did Tommy Break.  Looked like LB leatherneck.  Great move.  Relax and enjoy UND football.

• Upvote 1