SiouxSports.com Forum

Homecoming: Western Illinois @ UND

UND-FB-FAN

The entrance is pathetic 

between plays is the same old same old

the 3rd down guy should find something else, all that is is noise and only works seldom 

use the video boards more, I liked the hawk staring down, have the hawk picking up a bison, a rabbit, a coyote an entz , I’m sure some graphic artist students could do a good job on this 

use the hawk up in the stands, where does he go after the start of the game?

• Upvote 4

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you on this. Kaminski has stuck with us for this long, I just don't see him entering the portal because he isn't starting as a freshman.

And if he does, then that's not the kind of player needed in a program. I'm extremely excited for Jerry when his time comes. It's not his time yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Nice! Have another example? No? Great talk!

You said to even talk about it is idiotic.  I simply pointed out it has happened.  If not for the injury the Jacks would have won a natty.  We are just trying to beat a good FCS team once in awhile.

Maybe Kaminski is not that good, I don’t know.  If he is good and is not playing because he is a true Frosh, he will likely be somewhere else next season.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

You said to even talk about it is idiotic.  I simply pointed out it has happened.  If not for the injury the Jacks would have won a natty.  We are just trying to beat a good FCS team once in awhile.

Maybe Kaminski is not that good, I don’t know.  If he is good and is not playing because he is a true Frosh, he will likely be somewhere else next season.  

UND beat that true Frosh phenom. Jerry is good. His time will come. If he was better than the other QB's right now, he'd be playing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

The argument on Jerry would be much better if it wasn't based on a single bike ride by a random practice one day as well.

So you KNOW he is not better upside than Tommy?  Was that your bike ride INTEL?

Any bets on Tommy’s stat line vs NDSU Saturday?  Will Tommy avg more then 5 yards per attempt?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

No, I do not. I'm guessing and hoping he has higher upside than Tommy. But right now, Tommy is better. If he wasn't then Jerry would be playing. 

Three options, go ahead and pick:

A). Tommy is better than Jerry right now. (Emphasis on right now. I hope when Jerry takes over, he ends up being the best QB in program history)

B). Jerry is better than Tommy, but the coaches aren't smart enough to see it.

C). Jerry is better than Tommy, but the coaches are purposefully losing games by not playing the better QB. 

I'll go with option A. You?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It’s impossible for a freshman to start at QB…

How did it work out for the Jacks?

https://gojacks.com/sports/football/roster/mark-gronowski/12203

No it isn’t impossible.  

8 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

We are trying to consistently beat the good FCS teams and a good FBS team once in awhile.
I don’t see anyone claiming Kaminski isn’t very good with a great upside. The reason he isn’t playing now is that he isn’t ready and there are 3 guys in front of him who are ready. He may get some time yet this year as long as he doesn’t lose eligibility.
Where do you get the idea that if he doesn’t play as a freshman he will leave?Feeney didn’t play as a freshman and stayed. I would expect the same from Kaminski. Both of them have coaches who should be able to guide them. 
No one knows if SDSU would have won a title had he stayed healthy. Maybe, maybe not. Grownowski probably would not have moved up if the starter, the back up, and the 3 were all completing over 70% of their passes with no ints. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, SiouxBoys said:

No, I do not. I'm guessing and hoping he has higher upside than Tommy. But right now, Tommy is better. If he wasn't then Jerry would be playing. 

Three options, go ahead and pick:

A). Tommy is better than Jerry right now. (Emphasis on right now. I hope when Jerry takes over, he ends up being the best QB in program history)

B). Jerry is better than Tommy, but the coaches aren't smart enough to see it.

C). Jerry is better than Tommy, but the coaches are purposefully losing games by not playing the better QB. 

I'll go with option A. You?

How about option D?  Jerry is better than Tommy, but the coaches are afraid to pull the trigger?

Again I don’t know the facts on the situation.  I find it hard to believe we have all these QBs and nobody gives us a better chance to beat a good team than a qb who doesn’t like to run and who will get us about 4.5 yards per attempt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

How about option D?  Jerry is better than Tommy, but the coaches are afraid to pull the trigger?

Again I don’t know the facts on the situation.  I find it hard to believe we have all these QBs and nobody gives us a better chance to beat a good team than a qb who doesn’t like to run and who will get us about 4.5 yards per attempt.

Afraid of what? That wasn't an option for a reason. It's genuinely dumb to think that.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, iramurphy said:

No it isn’t impossible.  

We are trying to consistently beat the good FCS teams and a good FBS team once in awhile.
I don’t see anyone claiming Kaminski isn’t very good with a great upside. The reason he isn’t playing now is that he isn’t ready and there are 3 guys in front of him who are ready. He may get some time yet this year as long as he doesn’t lose eligibility.
Where do you get the idea that if he doesn’t play as a freshman he will leave?Feeney didn’t play as a freshman and stayed. I would expect the same from Kaminski. Both of them have coaches who should be able to guide them. 
No one knows if SDSU would have won a title had he stayed healthy. Maybe, maybe not. Grownowski probably would not have moved up if the starter, the back up, and the 3 were all completing over 70% of their passes with no ints. 

The “impossible” comment triggered me.  Your comments are likely correct.  It scares me that Tommy is still our best choice.  We need more than a “game manager” to beat SU on Saturday.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Any bets on Tommy’s stat line vs NDSU Saturday?  Will Tommy avg more then 5 yards per attempt?

You don’t get to start cuz of your potential. Give the kid a chance to adjust to the speed and complexity of the college game. 

• Upvote 2

The “impossible” comment triggered me.  Your comments are likely correct.  It scares me that Tommy is still our best choice.  We need more than a “game manager” to beat SU on Saturday.

Nobody said "impossible". I said idiotic, like thinking the coaches are afraid to do it. 

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

He is averaging over 10 yds  per completion and over 7 yds per attempt. 
I don’t believe he will put a team on his back and win games. What he does well is protect the ball and he doesn’t lose games for you. I think Feeney has a bigger upside but I’m not at practice everyday. Feeney needs to be patient and hopefully his time will come sooner rather than later. Don’t forget Romfo has also shown promise. 

I think the big difference between Gronowski starting as a true freshman and Kaminski is there was nobody proven ahead of him. I haven't looked any of this up but I think SDSU graduates their stud QB.......and the next year Gronowski took over and beat out the other guy who they were not maybe even that high in, it's not like Gronowski came in and took the starting spot from a 3 year starter that was on the Walter Payton watch list. 

To your point though SDSU would have absolutely won that Championship game if he was healthy the whole game IMO. But I would also bet even Kaminski's dad is probably ok with Jerry red shirting this year. 

I am also with you though us struggling to move the ball with Tommy in against NDSU this week. We can't dink and dunk against good teams all day long and expect to win. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, iramurphy said:

He is averaging over 10 yds  per completion and over 7 yds per attempt. 
I don’t believe he will put a team on his back and win games. What he does well is protect the ball and he doesn’t lose games for you. I think Feeney has a bigger upside but I’m not at practice everyday. Feeney needs to be patient and hopefully his time will come sooner rather than later. Don’t forget Romfo has also shown promise. 

Tommy is not averaging over 5 yards per attempt in the big games.  He also does not like to run . With “adequate” QB play the rest of the team needs to be better than the opponent. 

Far easier to defend a team where the QB doesn’t throw deep and won’t run.  We need Tommy to be at 8+ yards per attempt on Saturday and have half a dozen runs for 30 yards.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, shep said:

The WR crew has gotten better, but I am still not seeing a ton of explosiveness from them in general. I don't care how far your QB can toss the pigskin if his receivers aren't out there to catch it.

So which is it? At the beginning of the year UND 360 and people on here were saying this was the deepest WR room UND has had in a LONG time. Now all of a sudden our WR room is bad?

Is this really the best excuse people can make for our QB that can't throw the ball further than 5 yards? Maybe it is the lack of a deep ball that allows CB's to sit on every route and not allow any separation? I guess that would be too logical of an answer though. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, shep said:

The WR crew has gotten better, but I am still not seeing a ton of explosiveness from them in general. I don't care how far your QB can toss the pigskin if his receivers aren't out there to catch it.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the "dink and dunk" comments regarding the passing game, and it seems like most are putting that blame on Tommy's arm.  That's not fair because he's able to throw 20-30+ yard pass plays, but a lot of things need to come together for a long pass play to happen, not just what the QB is doing or his arm strength.  Need to get good line protection to allow time for receivers to get separation, provided they can.

• Upvote 1