SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

On 6/6/2024 at 8:09 AM, UNDBIZ said:

$1 million endowment will generate approximately $40,000 per year, so about 2 full scholarships.  Everything helps and those who give are greatly appreciated!

Might be a dumb question on my part, but interested how this type of thing works with the yearly athletic budget. Using this as an example, is the $ equivalent of 63 Football scholarships added to the budget each year and if you have 2 as part of the endowment, you have 40K to spend elsewhere? Easier put, the athletic budget won't be 40K less, because the $ is already spoken for, correct?

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Might be a dumb question on my part, but interested how this type of thing works with the yearly athletic budget. Using this as an example, is the $ equivalent of 63 Football scholarships added to the budget each year and if you have 2 as part of the endowment, you have 40K to spend elsewhere? Easier put, the athletic budget won't be 40K less, because the $ is already spoken for, correct?

I don't know anything more than you, but your description is how I understand it to be.  I think scholarships are a line item expense that are treated the same as any other expense.  Like you, I guess, I would be curious to know what the budgeting process for UND athletics looks like - is there a set formula, or does funding from the university fluctuate based on need and/or the opinion of the president (and by how much)?  There's probably a written policy somewhere.  In either case, given that a large portion of the athletics budget is paid for through general funds from the university, the larger the endowments for athletics are, the more flexibility the school has to do things like funding for Alston awards, for example.  The picture below from the 22-23 champions club membership guide provides some basic info about this topic.

image.thumb.png.dbb96ae68c24abe8065a1310c3e0cb2b.png

53 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I think scholarships are a line item expense that are treated the same as any other expense.

This is accurate from my understanding. While it is what I consider a "soft" cost, it there is some sort of internal transaction between athletics and the University for that is accounted for.

On 6/6/2024 at 2:25 PM, Teeder11 said:

The Mikkelsons are far from stupid people. Respectfully, you can spend your millions how you like.

Oh, I shall. No follow the leader from me. Independent thought will direct it towards football and basketball.

Anyways, now that that inevitable reaction has somewhat subsided… 

As for Mikkelsens, happy they donated. I don’t know them; my comment was not directed towards them personally. The stupidity is more of a region-wide issue, I’d say.

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Oh, I shall. No follow the leader from me. Independent thought will direct it towards football and basketball.

Anyways, now that that inevitable reaction has somewhat subsided… 

As for Mikkelsens, happy they donated. I don’t know them; my comment was not directed towards them personally. The stupidity is more of a region-wide issue, I’d say.

most of it lies in the mirror

32 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Any ideas? 

Could be anything, even late-to-the-party recognition of the Mikkelson million to FB.  

I did make a note in the recruits thread about a recent offer.

34 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Any ideas? 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Could be anything, even late-to-the-party recognition of the Mikkelson million to FB.  

I did make a note in the recruits thread about a recent offer.

My guess is it has to do with a lot of prospects touring today before Camp tomorrow. Hope is it's a big commitment, but timing wise, I'm going with my original thought. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/11/2024 at 11:38 AM, nodak651 said:

Is it still possible to mute people?  Serious question - I can't figure it out.

God yes, I would not survive here without it. In the upper right corner, I clicked on my name/Ignored Users/then type in the names you want to ignore. Sometimes they respond to themselves and it's a long list of them on a thread. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

God yes, I would not survive here without it. In the upper right corner, I clicked on my name/Ignored Users/then type in the names you want to ignore. Sometimes they respond to themselves and it's a long list of them on a thread. 

I wouldn't survive here without the mute button either!!!

Too many people come here to post their thoughts/opinions! I can't stand when they do that as that is not the point of this website! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1