SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

20 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Help basketball in small towns:  3 classes.

Help hockey in small towns:  Crickets.

High School Hockey is dying under the NDHSAA.  Pay attention to Coach Wilson getting his shots in on the WDAY broadcast.  He's right. 

I didn’t get to hear what Dean said but I will say that I think this is an NDAHA issue more than NDHSAA. It starts with numbers at youth levels. 

9 hours ago, Cratter said:

How much to trade for that gal hockey reporter to do UND hockey?

Her salary would pay for itself in increased NCHC subscriptions.

Who is she?

Screenshot_20240225_081250_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cecf41b325b4ff7a42d6b8eadd4a9f83.jpg

This is kind of what I was alluding to the other night with Grand Forks keeping their kids.

I'm from Minot originally, and have a lot of friends there still, and the number of kids that go through the Wolves and don't step on the high school ice is mind boggling.  They aren't the only ones, but the list is long.

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Screenshot_20240225_081250_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cecf41b325b4ff7a42d6b8eadd4a9f83.jpg

This is kind of what I was alluding to the other night with Grand Forks keeping their kids.

I'm from Minot originally, and have a lot of friends there still, and the number of kids that go through the Wolves and don't step on the high school ice is mind boggling.  They aren't the only ones, but the list is long.

I see and agree with that a bit, 

Minot could easily field another competitive team if they had all the kids who left stayed (but details are in who and where they fall in the districts.)

The numbers are huge but, mind boggling its not.

There just isn't a way sugar coat the reality of how big the talent deficit is in the WDA. And third of the games vs low quality teams vs a Jr's or AAA schedule just makes a crazy good argument to explore other options.

8 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I see and agree with that a bit, 

Minot could easily field another competitive team if they had all the kids who left stayed (but details are in who and where they fall in the districts.)

The numbers are huge but, mind boggling its not.

There just isn't a way sugar coat the reality of how big the talent deficit is in the WDA. And third of the games vs low quality teams vs a Jr's or AAA schedule just makes a crazy good argument to explore other options.

Minot only puts out on squirt a team with like ten kids on it

Are there no restrictions or approvals needed for co-ops? If not, why doesn’t Fargo+WF just get it over with and create a mega Fargo co-op combing every single school in the area to make sure they never lose. 

9 minutes ago, Brim006 said:

Are there no restrictions or approvals needed for co-ops? If not, why doesn’t Fargo+WF just get it over with and create a mega Fargo co-op combing every single school in the area to make sure they never lose. 

There are contracts and all sorts of approvals needed from the state to create a co-op. 

28 minutes ago, Brim006 said:

And we may as well hold every tournament to the state there, too

11 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what would the score be if the best nd team (rrhs) played the best team from minnesota?
just curious

Some years, the grand Forest schools would have competed well with AA, but this year would not be one of them

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what would the score be if the best nd team (rrhs) played the best team from minnesota?
just curious

Well that would probably be Minnetonka this year; they are undefeated going into the section finals.  I'm guessing by sheer numbers, they would be deeper than Red River and would probably wear them out over the course of a game.  Score?  No idea.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Brim006 said:

In that case, it would be time for Knightriders boys hockey. :devil:

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Youth numbers in what aspect? 

My point is in most cases quantity of players cures all vs small community hockey where literally every kid matters. Lots of small town with youth hockey programs move kids up to make rosters which trickles all the way down. 
IMO the goal of NDAHA should be to help community-based hockey thrive in ND. If that happens then the athletes will come along with it and you wouldn’t need 2 classes with so few teams to start with.
Idk the solution but I have some ideas.