SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

Fall of 2023 NDAHA Board Meeting Minutes.  2nd page.  A full out discussion about a year round AAA program (think sioux falls power) being run in ND.  Sounds like the wheels are being greased.  Heard rumors of this at the State Tournament, but hadn't seen that it was officially discussed.  

Curious how this is going to play out.

https://ndaha.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/NDAHA-2023-Fall-BOD-Meeting-Minutes.pdf

4 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Isn’t this due to the lawsuit

You can look back on meeting board minutes from well into last year. The position was being looked into well before any alleged lawsuit had come up.

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You can look back on meeting board minutes from well into last year. The position was being looked into well before any alleged lawsuit had come up.

The lawsuit probably accelerated the process.

26 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

Fall of 2023 NDAHA Board Meeting Minutes.  2nd page.  A full out discussion about a year round AAA program (think sioux falls power) being run in ND.  Sounds like the wheels are being greased.  Heard rumors of this at the State Tournament, but hadn't seen that it was officially discussed.  

https://ndaha.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/NDAHA-2023-Fall-BOD-Meeting-Minutes.pdf

How does a AAA team operate vs a high school team?  One or the other...same ages...?

26 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

How does a AAA team operate vs a high school team?  One or the other...same ages...?

In the world of NDHSAA (and all high school associations i guess) its very definetly one or the other.

59 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

I had a whole thing written up but to be more concise I will just say, don't do it.  Promote Team North Dakota.  Look at the success of Team Wisconsin as a model.  Preserve and promote HS hockey in NoDak while also offering opportunities for your best players to showcase themselves at the Tier 1 level.  Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

I had a whole thing written up but to be more concise I will just say, don't do it.  Promote Team North Dakota.  Look at the success of Team Wisconsin as a model.  Preserve and promote HS hockey in NoDak while also offering opportunities for your best players to showcase themselves at the Tier 1 level.  Just my opinion.

Due to the high number of boys and girls leaving ND, status quo is not working.

1 hour ago, Johnny Five said:

My daughter and I were just talking about this. She worked at Hoist hockey in Fargo and the owner of that is the one trying to get this going 

1 hour ago, Johnny Five said:

Due to the high number of boys and girls leaving ND, status quo is not working.

So they still leave the local HS programs and instead of going to Sioux Falls and elsewhere they move to Fargo.  On top of that, now that you have a Tier 1 program in Fargo it becomes a great local option for kids in the Fargo and Grand Forks areas who might not ever thought about moving away from home for Tier 1.  They weren't going to do it but since you gave them easy access, why not pursue it?  In the end ND HS hockey will suffer, possibly even more than it currently is and this won't solve your problems with talent level in ND HS Hockey.  

Also, I don't think you should stick with the status quo either.  I think Team North Dakota needs to really be pushed and elevated.  In Wisconsin, a lot of players, if they don't make TW they don't even bother with the Capitols or the Admirals or going to Chicago for AAA.  They figure if they are not good enough to make TW then why spend 10's of thousands of dollars chasing?  They play WEHL (Wisconsin Elite League) instead.

Really, all this does is weaken the Power by stemming the flow of players leaving NoDak for Sioux Falls and force them to find their players elsewhere because they'll be cut off from NoDak and Manitoba players who have a closer option in Fargo.  In fact, I should be all for this, being from South Dakota and having my youngest coming up through the system now.  More spots available in Sioux Falls, a Team Midwest option building, Omaha still being an option (it's where my oldest played).  This could be great for me, but not for ND HS Hockey.

If the problem is losing players to Juniors, either the USHL or NAHL, this Tier 1 program won't stop that.  Kids with those options are already past having to play U16/U18.

44 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

In my opinion, if a kid can't make NAHL at a minimum or the USHL, he has no business leaving high school hockey.  But when parents have money burning a hole in their pocket, what can you do...

I can agree with that.  Advantage, males.  

42 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

So they still leave the local HS programs and instead of going to Sioux Falls and elsewhere they move to Fargo.  On top of that, now that you have a Tier 1 program in Fargo it becomes a great local option for kids in the Fargo and Grand Forks areas who might not ever thought about moving away from home for Tier 1.  They weren't going to do it but since you gave them easy access, why not pursue it?  In the end ND HS hockey will suffer, possibly even more than it currently is and this won't solve your problems with talent level in ND HS Hockey.  

Also, I don't think you should stick with the status quo either.  I think Team North Dakota needs to really be pushed and elevated.  In Wisconsin, a lot of players, if they don't make TW they don't even bother with the Capitols or the Admirals or going to Chicago for AAA.  They figure if they are not good enough to make TW then why spend 10's of thousands of dollars chasing?  They play WEHL (Wisconsin Elite League) instead.

Really, all this does is weaken the Power by stemming the flow of players leaving NoDak for Sioux Falls and force them to find their players elsewhere because they'll be cut off from NoDak and Manitoba players who have a closer option in Fargo.  In fact, I should be all for this, being from South Dakota and having my youngest coming up through the system now.  More spots available in Sioux Falls, a Team Midwest option building, Omaha still being an option (it's where my oldest played).  This could be great for me, but not for ND HS Hockey.

If the problem is losing players to Juniors, either the USHL or NAHL, this Tier 1 program won't stop that.  Kids with those options are already past having to play U16/U18.

I can speak on the girls side...not on the boys side, my son never had interest in Team ND or pursuing post HS hockey.  

I think we talked about earlier in this thread, the amount of girls that have graduated from ND hockey and made a Division 1 roster is minimal.  There have been quite a few that have left ND for greener pastures and went D1.  Would they have made it had they stayed?  Nobody knows.  Are the 10-15 girls who could be playing HS hockey in ND who left going to make D1 hockey?  Some, yes.  Some no.  Time will tell....

Problem is...you have a daughter who loves the game, works at it, dreams of playing D1 hockey.  Go to a tournament or a camp and they're told "you need to get out of ND."  What do you do?  There is no Juniors for girls hockey players.  Their JR and SR year is their "juniors" experience.  So girls do Team ND in the fall, then drop back to their 15U and HS teams and the level of play just drops.  The intent being, play that level year round...with like minded girls...and your game elevates.  Because every HS team has maybe 2-3 girls (if they're lucky) who actually prioritize hockey. 

The former UND coach literally looked Britta Curl in the face and said she needs to get out of ND.  She stuck to her guns but got recognized outside of ND hockey (USA HP), got a scholarship to Wisconsin, has a Gold medal, etc.   She's the .0001 %.  

So do I blame families for leaving?  No.

Would this be enticing?  Yes, once the kinks are worked out.

Do I want to move my daughter somewhere because of hockey?  Also no.  

Am I glad there are people looking to create different avenues for kids?  Absolutely.

To be clear, I am posting specifically about boys hockey in NoDak.  Girls hockey is a different animal and, after reading your post, I can see the benefits of a Tier 1 girls program in Fargo.  Are the proposals being discussed for a boys program, girls program, both, or just boys/just girls?

In the realm of not that surprising news... Wes Carr out after the 5 worst years in Bismarck High hockey history.

Feel bad it didn't work out, great guy but, not the hockey coach they needed.

Was best for the program to part ways.... if there's even going to be one left.

https://www.facebook.com/share/k6L4Aa7Hd2HL4qoi/?mibextid=xfxF2i

Good for Wes.  The public shaming of him on social media was pathetic and embarrassing.  It's hard to get hockey coaches the way it is in Bismarck, I'm guessing the number of applicants for this one after that will be slim to none.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...