SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Good point. Warroad was one of the the first high schools to do it, but they are hardly alone anymore.

Its in no way a new concept, been happening in many sports for many many, many, years.

So seeing this got me thinking, where do we think these totals stack up in ND high school hockey historically? A milestone for sure but can't believe its close to the most in the ND in any way.

Are there even any types of archives of this type of inf back through the years? 

I'd have to think that there have been some long standing coaches in the east GF, DL , Fargo? Dean Wilson coached what 18 years?

Not even really sure there's anywhere that records are kept other than Gillen's site which has amazing data but just back to 2007ish.

oly.JPG

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

So seeing this got me thinking, where do we think these totals stack up in ND high school hockey historically? A milestone for sure but can't believe its close to the most in the ND in any way.

Are there even any types of archives of this type of inf back through the years? 

I'd have to think that there have been some long standing coaches in the east GF, DL , Fargo? Dean Wilson coached what 18 years?

Not even really sure there's anywhere that records are kept other than Gillen's site which has amazing data but just back to 2007ish.

oly.JPG

NDHSAA has some archives for hockey although they're not nearly as robust as they are for basketball and football stats and records. Most of their hockey data seem to be linked to just state tournament stats and records unfortunately.

I would think most programs have some archives of their own, but as far as a consolidated archive...I don't think it exists unfortunately. 

As far as long-standing coaches, the first that comes to mind for me is David Hoff from Bottineau. He completed 30 seasons as head coach for Bottineau before he moved on to coaching the USA Paraolympics team which has had massive success with several world championships and gold medals. But with 30 seasons under his belt in the west, I'd think that although Bottineau was never as consistently good as Century, he probably still won well over 300 games in his career. 

FYI, Gillen does have stats back into even closer to 2000, but only has 2007 and beyond posted on the site for some reason. I've asked him about it before and he's sent over PDFs of earlier years not on the site. 

1 hour ago, Brim006 said:

NDHSAA has some archives for hockey although they're not nearly as robust as they are for basketball and football stats and records. Most of their hockey data seem to be linked to just state tournament stats and records unfortunately.

I would think most programs have some archives of their own, but as far as a consolidated archive...I don't think it exists unfortunately. 

As far as long-standing coaches, the first that comes to mind for me is David Hoff from Bottineau. He completed 30 seasons as head coach for Bottineau before he moved on to coaching the USA Paraolympics team which has had massive success with several world championships and gold medals. But with 30 seasons under his belt in the west, I'd think that although Bottineau was never as consistently good as Century, he probably still won well over 300 games in his career. 

FYI, Gillen does have stats back into even closer to 2000, but only has 2007 and beyond posted on the site for some reason. I've asked him about it before and he's sent over PDFs of earlier years not on the site. 

The others I thought of was  Stockert in Jamestown has 20 years in but probably closer to the 200 mark from what I can tell. (Which is a good number in and of itself)

Has to be good long runs in Forks at central that would get up there.

Seems like quite a project but would be an awesome resource to compile it all....

and would be more of a building block of creating thet North Dakota Hockey culture that we seem to lack as opposed to hoe others embrace.

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2024 at 8:50 AM, gfhockey said:

I see bantam aa gf hockey is dominating as well as bantam a

peewee aa guess what is gf hockey again but peewee a isn’t 

maybe gf hockey has only 3-4 good years left

Good last few weekends for GF hockey.

RR wins state, Junior Gold Stallions win state, Bantam AA wins state, Bantam A wins state,  Peewee AA wins state.

36 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

RR wins state, Junior Gold Stallions win state, Bantam AA wins state, Bantam A wins state,  Peewee AA wins state.

Gfhockey rules

3 hours ago, siouxweet said:

What I would give to have the pool of players GF has to make up AA and A teams. This year I had 24 players to pick from for my bantam A team. Devils Lake didn’t even have enough bantams for a B team. It is what it is and we deal with it the best we can. I consider our season a success at 19-14-2 and taking consolation championship in the Bantam A state tournament. Next season is going to be tough though 

2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

What I would give to have the pool of players GF has to make up AA and A teams. This year I had 24 players to pick from for my bantam A team. Devils Lake didn’t even have enough bantams for a B team. It is what it is and we deal with it the best we can. I consider our season a success at 19-14-2 and taking consolation championship in the Bantam A state tournament. Next season is going to be tough though 

What town/team? 

And yes it is getting tough for the small and mid-size towns in ND. They're all getting smaller and smaller and the bigger towns/cities here are getting bigger and bigger. 

32 minutes ago, Brim006 said:

What town/team? 

And yes it is getting tough for the small and mid-size towns in ND. They're all getting smaller and smaller and the bigger towns/cities here are getting bigger and bigger. 

Jamestown/Valley City 

2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

And this is why I'm a believer in two classes.  There are more kids playing A level Bantams in Grand Forks than you have kids playing bantams in Jamestown.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

And this is why I'm a believer in two classes.  There are more kids playing A level Bantams in Grand Forks than you have kids playing bantams in Jamestown.

The year my peewee A team won peewee A state tournament (2000) the following year we won 2 games. I lost every player to bantams except one. Like I said we do what we can with the players we have 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Yes but the talent on the two GF teams was very, very average.  A quarter of each team was filled with basically B1 kids.

2 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Yes but the talent on the two GF teams was very, very average.  A quarter of each team was filled with basically B1 kids.

But those GF AA kids have to fight and battle to be AA

A kids have to fight and battle to be A

B1 kids have to fight and battle to to be B1...

In most other places the top kids (be it AA or A.. or B1 are not really per say "better" than the tippy tops orher places BUT...

It's that depth of hard work that makes those teams just better as a whole.

In most other places we may find a line of comparable player or maybe 5-6 kids (in our dreams) that will work like hell and compete for the top line.. but usually we're just looking for bodies that won't get hurt to fill out a team, those kids know it and when they don't have to work hard for those spots, it shows up every day in practice.

and all that really magnifies when they get to high school especially when the kids get split in so many directions like they do over in Bismarck.

Tippy tops are pretty darn equal... depth is one hell of another story.... errrr nightmare.

• Upvote 2

On 3/4/2024 at 5:43 PM, siouxweet said:

Perfect example of development.  B1 kids can play varsity hockey in Grand Forks, Fargo, etc.  Puberty and work ethic does amazing things.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

Perfect example of development.  B1 kids can play varsity hockey in Grand Forks, Fargo, etc.  Puberty and work ethic does amazing things.

Yes to an extent.   Last names matter as well and who your siblings are just as important. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Yes to an extent.   Last names matter as well and who your siblings are just as important. 

Imagine if the NHL worked like that. Kieffer Bellows would be one of the highest paid players in the NHL instead of playing for the Toronto Marlies of the AHL. Welcome to the cutthroat world of professional hockey son.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The universal truth.

Yeah, I had to watch a kid on the GF Bantam AA kid who was the laziest kid you ever saw and just took up space on the ice.  There wete 3-4 kids on the two A teams that would have contributed more than him in one weekends play.  Only made the team as his dad is friends with the coach who hand picked the team and will move on and make RR cuz his two older brothers played there the last couple of years.

I had this idea I a few years ago while analyzing some NDHSAA stats from the great work of Mr. Gillen's website.

I thought how one would award a ND HS equivalent of the Lady Bing Award, and at the time figured it ought to be called the Lady Grace (Link) award.

I looked at total production as it relates to penalties and PIMs (pts/PIMs)

Grace Links passing today reminded me of it and I pulled up the info for a few years.

So that being said here's the info for the past few years of the finalists with winners in bold (this season was really close amongst the finalists).

So, without further ado and, in no official capacity whatsoever, I award the Lady Gace trophy to:

2021-2022 Season                              G-A-Pts             P    PIMs       Value (pts/PIMs)

1: Barron Stibbe     Fargo Davies         31-17-48               0       0                  48

2: Owen Branson     Fargo North        13-33-46           2       4              11.5

3: Noah Mehus        Mayville              13-10-23             0        0             23

2022-2023 Season                              G-A-Pts            P    PIMs       Value (pts/PIMs)

1: Noah Mehus        Mayville                      23-17-40          0        0             40

2: John Lang     Fargo South/Shan       22-15-37          1        2          18.5

3: Andrew Brubakken   Century          15-13-28          0         0            28

2023-2024 Season                              G-A-Pts             P    PIMs       Value (pts/PIMs)

Carson Joersz                 Mandan           14-23-37             0         0            37

Peyton Getzlaff           Bott/Rugby      13-21-34          0          0          34

Marcus Butts               Legacy             25-28-53          3          6          8.83

Owen Branson            Fargo North      22-30-52          3          6          8.67

Evan Panzer               GF Central          16-31-47          3          6          7.83

Charlie Vig                 Century             23-24-47          3          6          7.83

James Larson               Grafton PR       18-18-36          2          4          9

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Yeah, I had to watch a kid on the GF Bantam AA kid who was the laziest kid you ever saw and just took up space on the ice.  There wete 3-4 kids on the two A teams that would have contributed more than him in one weekends play.  Only made the team as his dad is friends with the coach who hand picked the team and will move on and make RR cuz his two older brothers played there the last couple of years.

Grand Forks gets away with it because the overall level of talent is strong.  The truly great kids will always find their spot.  But after that unfortunately there is a tier of kids that have gotten extra ice time and benefits of getting bumped up a team higher than they should be because their dad's were good players 25 years ago.....or because their dad's kiss the butts of those dad's that were good players 25 years ago.  

Now as a girl hockey dad, I thought what Grand Forks is doing with this is pretty cool.  A position within GF youth hockey to grow, develop and retain girls hockey players.  Solid move....

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/c8bb-3142544/GFYHA_Girls_Growth_and_Development_Director__1_.pdf?_gl=1*13b3iwb*_ga*NTE2ODU4MzcxLjE3MTAzMjczMDQ.*_ga_PQ25JN9PJ8*MTcxMDMyNzMwNS4xLjAuMTcxMDMyNzMwNS4wLjAuMA..#_ga=2.62056172.1745848950.1710327307-516858371.1710327304

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

Now as a girl hockey dad, I thought what Grand Forks is doing with this is pretty cool.  A position within GF youth hockey to grow, develop and retain girls hockey players.  Solid move....

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/c8bb-3142544/GFYHA_Girls_Growth_and_Development_Director__1_.pdf?_gl=1*13b3iwb*_ga*NTE2ODU4MzcxLjE3MTAzMjczMDQ.*_ga_PQ25JN9PJ8*MTcxMDMyNzMwNS4xLjAuMTcxMDMyNzMwNS4wLjAuMA..#_ga=2.62056172.1745848950.1710327307-516858371.1710327304

Isn’t this due to the lawsuit