SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

15 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

It isn't necessary always open as it varies year to year depending on what each schools attendance is.  I know a few years back if you lived in GFC district they wouldn't let you go to RR.

Interesting.  Was always told it was open enrollment in GF.  

32 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I was told that in the South-Shanley Co-op that South was the only party in the agreed upon terms to be able to dissolve the Co-op?

Any truth to this?

I have heard the same

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I have heard the same

I've always wondered if there is interest from the Shanley side to leave, and with Park Christian involved they could play in Minnesota and join section 6A. 

Just a random hockey thought, nothing backing that, just a thought. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I've always wondered if there is interest from the Shanley side to leave, and with Park Christian involved they could play in Minnesota and join section 6A. 

Just a random hockey thought, nothing backing that, just a thought. 

Park boys currently play for South. Has been that way as long as I can recall. Park girls have played for Moorhead the past few seasons.  Prior to that it was with WFU.

Good idea on MN 6A though. Does have some sizzle to it on face value.

3 hours ago, Brim006 said:

ND's W/L against MN teams this season was 26-14 making it the 7th straight season of ND having a winning record against MN. Not exactly the top tier teams from MN in most of those games, but take it for what it's worth. Grafton was 4-1 against MN teams...

ND State Runner-Up GFC went 5-0 with wins over Warroad, Providence Academy, Bemidji, and 2 over EGF. 

Any wins over a KCC team that finished with 2 wins is discredited.  They had 11 kids on their roster.  And are we really gonna puff our chest about CHS beating Ifalls?  

Maybe Roseau beating Sheyenne 9-0 and Minot 7-1 is better. 

But yes, always fun to see the GF teams play EGF, Roseau, Moorhead and Warroad.

54 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Park boys currently play for South. Has been that way as long as I can recall. Park girls have played for Moorhead the past few seasons.  Prior to that it was with WFU.

Good idea on MN 6A though. Does have some sizzle to it on face value.

My thought:

The opportunity to join a relatively weak section in class A hockey and you have a fantastic opportunity to play in the Minnesota State tournament.  Alexandria (likely winner) lost to Sheyenne this year.

Wahpeton got out of ND with their ties to Breck, you would think that Park Christian would allow Shanley to do the same.  

I guess a lot would depend on numbers of the Angels program.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

My thought:

The opportunity to join a relatively weak section in class A hockey and you have a fantastic opportunity to play in the Minnesota State tournament.  Alexandria (likely winner) lost to Sheyenne this year.

Wahpeton got out of ND with their ties to Breck, you would think that Park Christian would allow Shanley to do the same.  

I guess a lot would depend on numbers of the Angels program.  

Alexandria is not winning. Hermantown or section 8a 

BTW - I loved following this thread this season.  The Midwest High School League championships start this weekend, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas.  So, programs that many of you come across in the youth ranks from Sioux City, Des Moines, Omaha, Kansas City, Waterloo, etc.  The hockey is actually pretty good, though would not challenge the GF schools, much like the rest of NoDak has trouble with that beast.  We suffer from the same issues.  Most of the top players leave HS for AAA.  In most years, close to 20-25 players or more leave for other teams.  It hurts the overall quality of HS hockey and if more players stayed home it would be better.  Admittedly, when my oldest reached HS age he left for AAA and did not play HS.  Bottom line is that if you don't play HS in MN or a few other select areas (like GF and maybe other places in NoDak) you are not seen and any accomplishments are not taken seriously by junior hockey coaches and scouts.  You have no chance at playing at the USHL or NAHL levels unless you leave.  It's not the fault of the kids or the parents.  Trust me, they sacrifice and would love to stay home.  It's the fault of the system.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

Warroad v EGF on KNOX YouTube tonight for the 8A title. Should be a dandy. 

In.

I thought the MHSHL controlled all the TV rights for Section games.  Any other games being free streamed over the next couple of days you know of?

1 hour ago, Yote 53 said:

In.

I thought the MHSHL controlled all the TV rights for Section games.  Any other games being free streamed over the next couple of days you know of?

This guy updates daily:

I heard Section 8 was "blocking" the live feed.  Maybe they had to make a back door deal.  The rink will be packed and we all get to benefit.

• Upvote 2