SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

For the first time in a long time there may not be a clear favorite.

North has some good kids, Central returns a few, RR had a great JV team.  Sheyenne lost a few scorers, but returns a bunch of d men and has good goalies.

Century or Legacy wins the west. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

North has some good kids, Central returns a few, RR had a great JV team.  Sheyenne lost a few scorers, but returns a bunch of d men and has good goalies.

I'm waiting till first day of school to see who is actually still in his school.

The true depth of NDHS hockey this year will be in the cellar.

I got Central and Mandan as teams to watch, both have goalie tandems that "could" push each other to go on a heater.

11 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I'm waiting till first day of school to see who is actually still in his school.

The true depth of NDHS hockey this year will be in the cellar.

I got Central and Mandan as teams to watch, both have goalie tandems that "could" push each other to go on a heater.

Central should be a contender with the kids they've got coming back.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them win it.  

5 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Jamestown lost pretty much half their team to graduation including their goalie. Gonna be tough to get back to state with what they have this year 

I don't know... WDA may be the weakest  I can remember going back quite a ways. 

Going to be a complete roll of the dice on most nights outside of Legacy.

20 hours ago, Wilbur said:

CHS will have 3 really good lines at forward and return their goaltender.  Only problem is they basically don't return a defenseman who played last season.  Biggest loss for Legacy will be Martell on defense, off to Northstar.  Mandan didn't lose much.  I think Minot will be just fine.  BHS is going to be...uh....it was a clearing house of kids quitting, tranferring, moving, etc.   

Girls hockey is an absolute gong show.  Both LHS/BHS goalies took off for academies out east.  It'll either be an 8th grade tandem (both need to develop but they're being forced up) or a girl who's never skated before giving hockey a shot.  2 HS teams looked great to everyone outside of the capital city...now this is the second year in a row the local club has been directly affected by it and not for good reasons.  4 girls have left Bismarck since the split....And I get it, the rest of the state loves it.  First world problems.    

Around the state, one goalie from Minot headed to Warroad, a JVC girl headed to Warroad, 4 incoming WF players (all very good players) all headed out of state.  This is a disturbing trend for both sexes of hockey and North Dakota needs to do something about it.  I'm sure there's other players who are leaving on the girls side too, who knows.  Mandan should win girls state.  They lost one player.  Biggest question mark is the goaltending.  

5 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

CHS will have 3 really good lines at forward and return their goaltender.  Only problem is they basically don't return a defenseman who played last season.  Biggest loss for Legacy will be Martell on defense, off to Northstar.  Mandan didn't lose much.  I think Minot will be just fine.  BHS is going to be...uh....it was a clearing house of kids quitting, tranferring, moving, etc.   

Girls hockey is an absolute gong show.  Both LHS/BHS goalies took off for academies out east.  It'll either be an 8th grade tandem (both need to develop but they're being forced up) or a girl who's never skated before giving hockey a shot.  2 HS teams looked great to everyone outside of the capital city...now this is the second year in a row the local club has been directly affected by it and not for good reasons.  4 girls have left Bismarck since the split....And I get it, the rest of the state loves it.  First world problems.    

Around the state, one goalie from Minot headed to Warroad, a JVC girl headed to Warroad, 4 incoming WF players (all very good players) all headed out of state.  This is a disturbing trend for both sexes of hockey and North Dakota needs to do something about it.  I'm sure there's other players who are leaving on the girls side too, who knows.  Mandan should win girls state.  They lost one player.  Biggest question mark is the goaltending.  

Which goalie from Minot headed to Warroad?

10 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

She split time on the Minot Bantam AA team last season.  A very good goaltender.  However, Minot still has Ackerman. 

I was hoping it wasn't her.  I know her dad from my youth days in Minot.  Good family.  

17 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Did that Orr girl go out east?

2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Did that Orr girl go out east?

Yup.  Other goalie had announced she was leaving a month earlier.  The job was hers as the only goalie.  Then she left as well to join her sister out there.  Not surprising as neither girl grew up in our youth program but its a dog sh*t deal for the girls who have dedicated 10+ years to the game to have to deal with as the HS level.  Retention since the split has been worse then before the split, more girls have quit or left town and it's not even close.  

2 8th graders being forced to move up is a huge loss for the youth program, as stated earlier both of them need development.  BHB is left with a 9th grade goalie and enough skaters for 2-3 youth teams. 

The split being what it is, the admins botched the goaltender situation with the split.  There are 6 goalies age FR-SR this year walking the halls of the SMCHS/CHS split (4 SMCHS, 2 at CHS who no longer player due to competition/playing time in that COOP).  There are zero goalies at LHS/BHS walking the halls.  Not sure what the rationale was there but admins were made well aware of that for 2+ years before the split came official.  

Adversity is a life lesson...it is what it is.  Moving on, just disappointing to see so many kids leaving the state. 

EDIT: one bonus to girls hockey this year is the addition of some sort of modified JV schedule.  Not sure on all details but hearing 8 games with 2 "periods" so those who won't play during varsity game can still get a little bit of action.  I'm expecting to see a lot more 2 maybe 3 line teams this winter.

23 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Not familiar with Melville 

SJHL I believe that's where B.  Panzer was last year.  

Also see that Benson Grande is leaving North for some academy out east.  

Add to the fact that many kids have left the state for various reasons before hitting the ice in a ND HS game, this has to be the biggest clearing house in the state of ND HS Hockey history.  

5 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

SJHL I believe that's where B.  Panzer was last year.  

Also see that Benson Grande is leaving North for some academy out east.  

Add to the fact that many kids have left the state for various reasons before hitting the ice in a ND HS game, this has to be the biggest clearing house in the state of ND HS Hockey history.  

Braden Panzer was in Neverville? I think.

I did a quick count today, I believe the "Just this year" count of kids leaving NDHSAA hockey for Jrs/AAA/CanJrA is at least 15...

I'll post a list soon, a lil' birdie told me it may not be done yet.

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Off the top of my head of Nodak kids high school eligible playing out of state:

-Routh, Bydal, Thvedt, Grande, Grubb, Vig, Martell, Erickson, Elser, McCann, Kuehne....list goes on...how old is Berry's kid?  

Getzlaff from Bottineau.

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2023/07/03/bottineaus-colton-getzlaff-signs-contract-with-battlefords-north-stars-saskatchewan-junior-hockey-league/

13 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Off the top of my head of Nodak kids high school eligible playing out of state:

-Routh, Bydal, Thvedt, Grande, Grubb, Vig, Martell, Erickson, Elser, McCann, Kuehne....list goes on...how old is Berry's kid?  

Ackerman (Sioux Falls Power) and Schlaffman (Northstar 16U)from BIsmarck are gonzo without ever stepping onto the ice at BHS.  Rudolph from WF listed on Northstar twitter as well as is a Penner from Fargo.  

edit: and keup from CHS.  Off to Michigan.  Logged a lot of minutes on defense. 

12 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Ackerman (Sioux Falls Power) and Schlaffman (Northstar 16U)from BIsmarck are gonzo without ever stepping onto the ice at BHS.  Rudolph from WF listed on Northstar twitter as well as is a Penner from Fargo.  

edit: and keup from CHS.  Off to Michigan.  Logged a lot of minutes on defense. 

This sure doesn’t help the west teams compete with the east teams with all that are leaving