SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

Omaha was supposedly victim to the flu this week. Looked that way on Friday. Mbereko seemed the same. No gymnastics in goal. He gave up a few softies. 5 hole appears to be an issue for him. I said earlier this year that omaha was better than most gave them credit for. They showed it this weekend…

3 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Omaha was supposedly victim to the flu this week. Looked that way on Friday. Mbereko seemed the same. No gymnastics in goal. He gave up a few softies. 5 hole appears to be an issue for him. I said earlier this year that omaha was better than most gave them credit for. They showed it this weekend…

Part of it is that it is usually easy pickings making fun of Omaha. But they have proved that they’ve got a legitimate competitive team this year. So I’ll tip the cap. I hope UND is amped and ready to play them. Could very possibly have to play them twice.

• Upvote 3

This Omaha team is better than their 2015 that made it to the frozen four. They don’t have the same firepower offensively as that 2015 team. However, they have better structure, better goaltending, and they are able to keep everything to the perimeter. We barely got anything going offensively against them at even strength in terms of decent scoring chances the entire weekend. CC only got 2 even strength goals at home over the course of 3 games. All of their other goals were either power play or an extra attacker goal. This UNO team is legit. Im sort of glad we play them Friday because we need practice against a team that plays like that before regionals but I don’t like the thought of playing them in 2 weeks.

3 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Part of it is that it is usually easy pickings making fun of Omaha. But they have proved that they’ve got a legitimate competitive team this year. So I’ll tip the cap. I hope UND is amped and ready to play them. Could very possibly have to play them twice.

My wife is going absolutely bonkers. As I said before she graduated from UNO ™.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Thanks to getting swept by Omaha, now Omaha fans will scoop up all the regional tickets.  

UND or Denver is going east because UMass is ahead of Western Michigan and Omaha. 

13 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

CC radio guy saying CC needs Dartmouth to beat Cornell next weekend in the ECAC semifinals.

Yes

CC needs Dartmouth to beat Cornell, BC to beat UMass, Quinnipiac to win the ECAC. St. Cloud beating Denver puts UMass 15th and CC 14th

(This is doing only the games on the 3/22)

I just listened to the Kris Mayotte post game interview and here’s a summary of what he said, hopefully I captured it accurately as he was rattling off a lot of names, what ifs, and scenarios…

From what he just said, it sounds like the likely scenarios where CC wouldn’t get in would be if St. Cloud were to win the Frozen Faceoff and/or for UMass to beat BC. A Dartmouth upset of Cornell would be nice but he thinks Cornell still has to win the ECAC in order to jump ahead of the Tigers for one of the last at-large berths.

Mayotte also said that CC are big fans of North Dakota (and to a lesser extent, DU) right now because UND especially, helps CC’s RPI so by UND winning, it also boosts CC’s RPI. So, while CC is on life support, the have a good chance at making it in as an 14 seed to face Boston University.

He’s focusing on the likelihood of a UMass upset over BC and/or a St. Cloud Frozen Faceoff championship being less than 50%. He said it comes down to these four teams for the last spot - CC, UMass, Cornell, and St. Cloud. He capped off his comments by saying after giving the boys Monday and Tuesday off, they’re going right back to work on Wednesday and preparing for a matchup against BU. 

3 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I just listened to the Kris Mayotte post game interview and here’s a summary of what he said, hopefully I captured it accurately as he was rattling off a lot of names, what ifs, and scenarios…

From what he just said, it sounds like the likely scenarios where CC wouldn’t get in would be if St. Cloud were to win the Frozen Faceoff and/or for UMass to beat BC. A Dartmouth upset of Cornell would be nice but he thinks Cornell still has to win the ECAC in order to jump ahead of the Tigers for one of the last at-large berths.

Mayotte also said that CC are big fans of North Dakota (and to a lesser extent, DU) right now because UND especially, helps CC’s RPI so by UND winning, it also boosts CC’s RPI. So, while CC is on life support, the have a good chance at making it in as an 14 seed to face Boston University. He’s focusing on the likelihood of a UMass upset over BC and/or a St. Cloud Frozen Faceoff championship being less than 50%. He said it comes down to these four teams for the last spot- CC, UMass, Cornell, and St. Cloud. He capped off his comments by saying after giving the boys Monday and Tuesday off, they’re going right back to work on Wednesday and preparing for a matchup against BU. 

You are the Committee  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I think it is safe to say that Omaha is indeed good this year. Hope the boys show up ready to play them.

Omaha playing for their season for two weeks.  After that loss Friday I had written them off, but as good teams do they found a way.

I hope our guys can match their intensity on Friday.  That was lacking the last time they played. 

I'm hoping for as little chaos as possible. Does that almost all hinge on Quinnipiac not winning the ECAC title? Watching for two things this weekend. Quinnipiac losing at some point this weekend and UND winning on Friday. 

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Omaha playing for their season for two weeks.  After that loss Friday I had written them off, but as good teams do they found a way.

I hope our guys can match their intensity on Friday.  That was lacking the last time they played. 

UND should be the more desperate team Friday night.  We need a win for a #1 seed.  Looks to me like UNO is looked in at a #3 seed.  

10 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Mayotte also said that CC are big fans of North Dakota (and to a lesser extent, DU) right now because UND especially, helps CC’s RPI so by UND winning, it also boosts CC’s RPI. So, while CC is on life support, the have a good chance at making it in as an 14 seed to face Boston University.

He’s focusing on the likelihood of a UMass upset over BC and/or a St. Cloud Frozen Faceoff championship being less than 50%. He said it comes down to these four teams for the last spot - CC, UMass, Cornell, and St. Cloud. He capped off his comments by saying after giving the boys Monday and Tuesday off, they’re going right back to work on Wednesday and preparing for a matchup against BU. 

Personally, I hope Colorado college makes it. They’ve had a hell of a year and I’d love to see that program rebuild. I think the coach is done a marvelous job, recruiting instead of shopping. They are a gritty bunch, with the interesting combination of grinder and talent.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Big Green said:

UND should be the more desperate team Friday night.  We need a win for a #1 seed.  Looks to me like UNO is looked in at a #3 seed.  

Agreed.  Omaha did what they needed to do, and really can't do any more, as far as NCAA tourney goes.  Omaha should be the more tired team and are probably just elated to get to St. Paul.  They are ripe for UND to make amends from two weekends ago.  As long as UND wins the semi-final game, that should solidify their 1 seed?  I guess they it depends on who they play in the championship (and whether they lose), and maybe a little bit on what happens to Michigan State.

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Agreed.  Omaha did what they needed to do, and really can't do any more, as far as NCAA tourney goes.  Omaha should be the more tired team and are probably just elated to get to St. Paul.  They are ripe for UND to make amends from two weekends ago.  As long as UND wins the semi-final game, that should solidify their 1 seed?  I guess they it depends on who they play in the championship (and whether they lose), and maybe a little bit on what happens to Michigan State.

I think you’re underestimating Omaha. You’ve got to remember that their leadership group was there through Covid. They seem to be a very tight team and it doesn’t matter who’s on the ice. I know this week my wife is going to be unbearable, especially since she’s not over Berg transferring so all I can do is hope for the best!:blink:

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

As long as UND wins the semi-final game, that should solidify their 1 seed?  I guess they it depends on who they play in the championship (and whether they lose), and maybe a little bit on what happens to Michigan State.

I played with every scenario (I think) with the NCHC and Big Ten, and as long as UND wins Friday, I didn't find a scenario where they finished lower than #4 PWR, even if they lost to SCSU in the final.

2 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

I think you’re underestimating Omaha

I wouldn't say I am underestimating them, just that what they have to play for this weekend has no bearing on the NCAA tournament.  Not saying they wouldn't like to be NCHC champions, because I'm sure they do.  But they have to be at a disadvantage compared to UND, since they traveled to Colorado Springs, played 3 games, and then will travel to St. Paul for a Friday game.  All the while, UND played two games at home and will travel to St. Paul.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Big Green said:

If UNO is locked in at a 3 and UND a 1 can they both be in Sioux Falls ?