SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

20 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

For anyone to think we have enough talent on this team to compete is delusional at best.  Coaching is hardly the main issue.  The players are below average outside of a couple.  They are not even close to being upper-level Summit players.  

which is why you see us losing by 50+ points.  She isn’t ready to run this program and it is showing.  And what was the point of bringing back Motherwell?  He is the main contact that got us into this mess.  Ignoring the four-state area and going to Canada/Michigan.  Great idea

Would the record be different with these same players and Robuck as coach?  I believe it would 

Mal wasn’t ready but hiring from within is the pattern 

• Upvote 1

Sioux 100 my posts upset you, but I view my posts on perfect English is not primary worry, but to get my thoughts out there in limited amount of space because I have rather long posts and I don't want them consuming any more space. This blog/forum is medium to just get your thoughts and ideas out there for people to evaluate not formal paper. I am sorry it bothers you, but it is what is.

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Would the record be different with these same players and Robuck as coach?  I believe it would 

Mal wasn’t ready but hiring from within is the pattern 

Sure. Probably would but they wouldn't be anywhere near the Top 3-4 teams

I see Zander had a good year with U Mary, we could have used her and Sieben had a great year with the cobblers , both North Dakota kids 

I agree we are not near the top of the conference but right now the difference for us being 6 in the conference and us being fourth in the conference is obtainable if we were getting performance out our existing players. Matter of fact we should be close to the third-place team in conference (ORU) with a chance of beating them. Then the top two in conference we should be able to hold them under 100 and be within 20 points on average night not 40 to 50 points behind. I believe with the proper coaching number of these players would be significantly better than they are playing at now. I think we have several players on this team now that could become all conference players if coached right and played in system where their skill could be utilized. Several players on this team I have no idea what type of player we have. Then there are several players I think should be encouraged to play elsewhere at lower level because they don't have future in Division I basketball. What I am afraid the players I hope stay are likely the ones that will transfer out and we will be left with the ones that should of left. Mallory is going to have to grow as coach this next year and if I was her, I would go to Roebuck and just go to him and get his opinion and get any suggestions he has turn this program around. She needs to be brutally honest with herself and needs to make changes even if she has to let people go both on the team as well as coaches. Second, she is going to have to sit down with her coaches plan how they are going to fix this program and then meet with players see if they are going to buy into whatever changes are needed and how these players will need to work on to get to the goal she has for this team. I would go as far as getting outside look from somebody else on what needs to be changed to turn this program around. My thought is they need to identify exactly type of player there looking for and if they are going to be player that can play shortly for this program and become major contributor. Jory Collins seemed to have done this and he has significant turnover in players to get to this point where they are at now. This program is fixable and for women's basketball there are number of things are in place to make this program a winning program one of the top programs in the Summit.

This team was picked fourth behind SDSU, Bison, and USD. With ORU and St. Thomas behind us. Also, we were expected to win 20 games, so we are far from what was expected last October.  Also, it was mentioned Reaching the Summit website they were surprised with only two-year extension for Mallory. This leads me to believe the AD had some questions on her coaching and they wanted more time to see if she was going to meet expectations. I think Mallory can coach at this level, but question is how long is going to take before she is ready, or does she need to go back learn more as assistant and at another program. She maybe should be looking for higher DI assistant position and start working her way up that way keep a clean resume for the future.

10 hours ago, Kab said:

I see Zander had a good year with U Mary, we could have used her and Sieben had a great year with the cobblers , both North Dakota kids 

Neither were an answer, both had reasons for where they are outside of basketball. Glad they had good years but much lower level of competition. (I realize this team lost to Mayville).

36 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Neither were an answer, both had reasons for where they are outside of basketball. Glad they had good years but much lower level of competition. (I realize this team lost to Mayville).

Zander can play. You know what she can do? Shoot the basketball. She'd be a top 3 player on this team right now.

Zander struggled at this level when she was here and the reason for it is average player in division I is taller and bit quicker and that had impact on her performance. Now she at division II probably better fit for her and she closer to home and she has regained her confidence playing basketball. That has been the problem with UND we have been recruiting players that are in between they can play division I basketball but they are bit undersized, need work on their skills to play at this level, or just play certain roles for us. Now look at SDSU and now NdSU look at their rosters their players they are taller or quick players that can shoot and create their own offense. Second they are bought into playing team offense and defense. Now we have several players I believe that fit into that profile like Pemberton, Horne, Ibrahim, Beal, and there may be couple others hard to know because haven’t seen much of what they can do. The rest of players there are several that could fill roles on this team. The problem is the above mentioned needed work and time to get to becoming  starters and all of them except Beal we’re Freshman not ideal situation to be in. Then we had Kacie elite player and Hoskins who was playing out of position playing with her not ideal position for building a team. Then we add in we didn’t coach improve fundamentals and got away from team concept of playing defense and offense.  Then look at new class we have probably girls with potential but need time to develop. We needed players that are ready to play right away either as elite freshman or transfer player that can contribute right away as the above players develop. We need to be looking for players that are tall and quick ready to play by end of their freshman season instead of always trying to develop a player that may become a diamond.

Kids that can shoot can contribute. Not complicated. Look at Mayville St vs UND. I'd take today's Zander over 90% of the current roster.

• Upvote 1

Would SDSU let this happen?  No, the AD would take care of it before it even happened through consistent expectations and accountability.  UND does not have that.  Which is why Hockey is only program that wins at a high level (it's almost impossible for them not to)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Would SDSU let this happen?  No, the AD would take care of it before it even happened through consistent expectations and accountability.  UND does not have that.  Which is why Hockey is only program that wins at a high level (it's almost impossible for them not to)  

Yes, it definitely looks like a department that only is concerned with hockey.  After all coming out of cost cutting with no dollars this is a leadership team knowing that things have to happen in order to facilitate better facilities & homes for several programs not named hockey- so they came up with Public- Private funding mechanisms to get things going on MV1, FPHC & now MV2, that to me, just doesn’t sound like a hockey only approach.  If it does to you— great.  It doesn’t to me. I would assume that’s ok too, but problem not as we all have to be of the same thought around these parts or else

9 minutes ago, the green team said:

Yes, it definitely looks like a department that only is concerned with hockey.  After all coming out of cost cutting with no dollars this is a leadership team knowing that things have to happen in order to facilitate better facilities & homes for several programs not named hockey- so they came up with Public- Private funding mechanisms to get things going on MV1, FPHC & now MV2, that to me, just doesn’t sound like a hockey only approach.  If it does to you— great.  It doesn’t to me. I would assume that’s ok too, but problem not as we all have to be of the same thought around these parts or else

Re-read what I wrote.  At no time did I ever mention hockey-first or hockey-only.  Nor have I ever mentioned that.  

What I did is note that hockey is the only program that wins and it's only because it's impossible for them not to.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Re-read what I wrote.  At no time did I ever mention hockey-first or hockey-only.  Nor have I ever mentioned that.  

What I did is note that hockey is the only program that wins and it's only because it's impossible for them not to.  

Here's a scary thought:

If Ralph Engelstad hadn't had the vision to build a $104 million arena, hockey would have the same problems as all the other sports.

Things indeed could be worse.

17 hours ago, UND1983 said:

For anyone to think we have enough talent on this team to compete is delusional at best.  Coaching is hardly the main issue.  The players are below average outside of a couple.  They are not even close to being upper-level Summit players.  

which is why you see us losing by 50+ points.  She isn’t ready to run this program and it is showing.  And what was the point of bringing back Motherwell?  He is the main contact that got us into this mess.  Ignoring the four-state area and going to Canada/Michigan.  Great idea

Don't we have a bunch of commits from the local area right now coming in over the next couple years?

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Here's a scary thought:

If Ralph Engelstad hadn't had the vision to build a $104 million arena, hockey would have the same problems as all the other sports.

Things indeed could be worse.

Which might have led to a much different style of athletic department.  But we will never know cause it was built

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Don't we have a bunch of commits from the local area right now coming in over the next couple years?

Yah we do.  Let's check back in 2 years to see how it's going!  

Any length to them to matchup with NDSU and SDSU?  

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Which might have led to a much different style of athletic department.  But we will never know cause it was built

The Division I move would have dragged hockey down right along with all the other programs without the New REA.

Thank God we will never know whether I am right or wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Fair point. Appreciate the clarification. 
My question is, after last season.  What would you have done differently as AD, overseeing the WBB program?  Let’s worry about- this season- in about a weeks time, but give me the 10 cent tour of what would have been different if you had been doing the evaluation after last season.  Do you give the coach some leash knowing they have some young pieces on this roster, because every coach is going to be optimistic about what they have coming back & what they have returning.  Or Do you just bring out the axe, even though the team had what I would say is an ok, although not great season, last year.  Acceptable but not ideal(especially down the stretch) is how would look at last season. But perhaps us having the season that the team did last year, has hamstrung the program, because it caused too many to look at things as glass half full, which certainly has been anything but the case, this season.