SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

Anyone going to see the women play this year would have to look very very hard to find ways to compliment Mal.  I have never seen worse unorganized chaos in a UND uniform than We have this year.  My 8th grade girls travel team knew better how to beat a press than Mals team did today.  28 TURNOVERS in one game.  She had them all bunched up in one side of the court wondering why there is no room to beat the press.  Then we try to dribble through double teams.  When we do finally get across the half, we ignore the wide open players ahead and don’t pass it to them to score.  Instead, we wait until hurst and Kacie cross the half so we can hand it to them, and let them dribble until they throw it away or drive into 3 people.  That is apparently our entire offense.  We have been to every one of the women’s national championships including the beautiful Pine Bluff Arkansas, so it’s not like we aren’t diehard fans.  We have been for years.  But It is hard at this point to convince myself to go to this hot mess.  I spend more time asking myself how Mal cant see what is happening on the floor.  Her frustration with the officials today was laughable.  I agree Kacie got 2 bad fouls and I certainly felt bad for her finishing a hell of a career at home the way it went today.  But that does not explain 28 turnovers and a 50 point blowout.   Maybe worry about what you can control.  There was plenty of that to address today. They have no offense.  They play no defense giving up a hundred every other game.  They can’t break a press.  There is no team concept whatsoever.  This program is a mess.  Period.  Sad to say but it’s where we are at…

• Upvote 3

On 2/16/2024 at 10:54 AM, UND1983 said:

That 55-58 record at NDSU coming into the season is hella good

Jory inherited a many years dumpster fire. He turned that program around in a short amount of time.  It takes a couple years to establish a culture and recruit the right players. He now has done that. He gets some of the best area recruits. They are long and athletic.   Unlike Mal who didn't inherit as big a dumpster fire and has Made it into a dumpster fire.  Recruiting Michigan and getting selfish players that play with no heart. Let alone know how to play basketball.  I'm a UND fan but I'd take a Jory any day over what we got !  

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

Jory inherited a many years dumpster fire. He turned that program around in a short amount of time.  It takes a couple years to establish a culture and recruit the right players. He now has done that. He gets some of the best area recruits. They are long and athletic.   Unlike Mal who didn't inherit as big a dumpster fire and has Made it into a dumpster fire.  Recruiting Michigan and getting selfish players that play with no heart. Let alone know how to play basketball.  I'm a UND fan but I'd take a Jory any day over what we got !  

Once again for the comprehension impaired: at no time do I mention Mal or UND. My definition of “hell of a coach” is different than others is all.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Once again for the comprehension impaired: at no time do I mention Mal or UND. My definition of “hell of a coach” is different than others is all.

I'm wondering who is comprehensive impaired here ??? Someone who bad mouthing a coach who took a team that had 5 years of losing to second in the Summit????  Those impaired I guess think that is bad.  He took over a team with none of his own players.  You must be a hockey player commenting on basketball.  Or just a Homer und fan that can't look independently.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

I'm wondering who is comprehensive impaired here ??? Someone who bad mouthing a coach who took a team that had 5 years of losing to second in the Summit????  Those impaired I guess think that is bad.  He took over a team with none of his own players.  You must be a hockey player commenting on basketball.  Or just a Homer und fan that can't look independently.  

Hell of a job

Right now, I say Jory is better coach, but jury is out still some on him too. This team Jory has recruited that is playing right now is better team than Mallory has recruited right now. The difference is he recruited Elle Evans and Draper to his team two years ago. Their length athletic ability right now far exceeds any talent we have recruited so far, we have on this team. The question was this talent any better than the talent we recruited two years ago or has Jory coached them better to develop better and also coached them to play controlled game that we don't have 20 plus turnovers a game, that take good shots and have your players taking shots you want out your offense. Second that our team play a better team basketball. Mallory talks about defense, but we can't play consistent 40 minutes of defense. I get it were young team, but I haven't seen that much improvement from the beginning of the year. I hear play by play color announcer say that's not shot you want to take but it's okay because she made it, but real good coaches don't let it slide like that usually pull their player bench them to teach them that is not acceptable for what you want as coach. I think Mallory let's this happen too many times to where we get to this undisciplined style of basketball. I will also go farther this season started last spring when we lost assistant coaches and i feel took to long to get in place to be prepared for this team which everyone new was going to be young team. Second, I heard today on play by play they weren't able to get Canadian players until school started further putting us behind on development things like this can't happen to this large a group of players on team. I just think with this young of team needed all time they could get for development. Here again Roster construction should have been looked at we could have added transfer that could have played right away. These criticism about little things may be overboard but good coaches i have found always pay attention to little things like this.

Mallory will be back next year but i think she will be short rope things need to improve in quality of play and look to have team that can compete game in game out and if we see another year like this year the AD is going to have to make some hard decisions about the program. Und provides many opportunities to build a good program with facilities, resources to keep good players, and still has above average fan support and if we would start winning consistently this could even be better. I thought we would have some growing with Mallory when she was hired but right now, she has plateaued and that is not good enough to be long term coach for this program.   

18 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

You still think Collin’s is a bad coach

He does. I have nothing against Mallory, but she does not have the right kids to play in the Summit right now. Other than Kacie, and possibly Pemberton, I am not sure there is a kid that would make the rotation on a top 4 team In the league. Unless she has some top recruits coming in ready to play next year, I think what you saw today may be the norm next year. Honestly, I’m not sure they are a Top 4 college women’s team in the state of ND next year without Kacie. Hurst seems to have some talent, but if she isn’t handling the ball and casting up 3’a she seems very disinterested. 

4 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

He does. I have nothing against Mallory, but she does not have the right kids to play in the Summit right now. Other than Kacie, and possibly Pemberton, I am not sure there is a kid that would make the rotation on a top 4 team In the league. Unless she has some top recruits coming in ready to play next year, I think what you saw today may be the norm next year. Honestly, I’m not sure they are a Top 4 college women’s team in the state of ND next year without Kacie. Hurst seems to have some talent, but if she isn’t handling the ball and casting up 3’a she seems very disinterested. 

Mayville state waxed us 

6 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

Right now, I say Jory is better coach, but jury is out still some on him too. This team Jory has recruited that is playing right now is better team than Mallory has recruited right now. The difference is he recruited Elle Evans and Draper to his team two years ago. Their length athletic ability right now far exceeds any talent we have recruited so far, we have on this team. The question was this talent any better than the talent we recruited two years ago or has Jory coached them better to develop better and also coached them to play controlled game that we don't have 20 plus turnovers a game, that take good shots and have your players taking shots you want out your offense. Second that our team play a better team basketball. Mallory talks about defense, but we can't play consistent 40 minutes of defense. I get it were young team, but I haven't seen that much improvement from the beginning of the year. I hear play by play color announcer say that's not shot you want to take but it's okay because she made it, but real good coaches don't let it slide like that usually pull their player bench them to teach them that is not acceptable for what you want as coach. I think Mallory let's this happen too many times to where we get to this undisciplined style of basketball. I will also go farther this season started last spring when we lost assistant coaches and i feel took to long to get in place to be prepared for this team which everyone new was going to be young team. Second, I heard today on play by play they weren't able to get Canadian players until school started further putting us behind on development things like this can't happen to this large a group of players on team. I just think with this young of team needed all time they could get for development. Here again Roster construction should have been looked at we could have added transfer that could have played right away. These criticism about little things may be overboard but good coaches i have found always pay attention to little things like this.

Mallory will be back next year but i think she will be short rope things need to improve in quality of play and look to have team that can compete game in game out and if we see another year like this year the AD is going to have to make some hard decisions about the program. Und provides many opportunities to build a good program with facilities, resources to keep good players, and still has above average fan support and if we would start winning consistently this could even be better. I thought we would have some growing with Mallory when she was hired but right now, she has plateaued and that is not good enough to be long term coach for this program.   

Collins has recruited Evan’s (who I hope They can keep) and Draper, but his freshman(Koenen, Krawzinski, Simon and the younger Hamling) all all very good with great length and athletism. Collins has a very good thing going in Fargo right now. And it sounds like he has some more good kids from Minnesota coming in next year. He knows getting kids from MN and ND is the best opportunity for success here. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Don’t speak for me.  He is one hell of a good coach. 

• Downvote 1

Mayville did win but they also nationally ranked team NAIA and I believe they are at 12 in the nation. South Dakota State played Dordt Iowa and was behind for large part of the game too at home but pulled out 12-point win in the end.  If you notice not a lot of the teams in Summit schedule many local division II schools either because on given night some of these teams could also beat Division I school from small mid-major. Mayville also gave NDSU all they wanted for three quarters before they played us and don't think they learned something playing another division I school. Contrary to what many think difference between teams in various divisions is not as large a spread as you think and on given night when division I is not playing well it can happen lower division team can win but it is very low win percentage.

But getting back to UND I would agree with you as it stands now our players are not showing they are capable of playing on top teams in the Summit. I think Pemberton is probably our only player for next year would be considered as player that could play minutes in top rotation. The point i was trying to make earlier is Beal who came here as highly rated recruit is not playing up to her potential. If anything, i would say she is not even playing as well as she did as freshman her shooting now, she isn't even making a layup. I look at NDSU players there shooting has improved dramatically and if anything, our recruits shooting has gone the other way. Hurst to me is most frustrating player on this team she has talent but continues to make same mistakes over and over doesn't seem to learn she needs to quit doing these dumb mistakes. The reaching in fouls instead of keeping her body between the player and basket, taking those threes when we need to run some offense, and not working down low to get position to score inside. The thing is we let this slide, but we continue to start her and reward her by starting her or not taking her out when she doesn't correct these things so how do we improve if you let so call star get away with things like that. Aumer has made strides this year and she is getting smarter about her play but i am not sure she is quite quick enough to play large minutes. Ihbrahim if she has good offseason works on her footwork and her shot could become very good post player. It will be interesting if we see improvement by next year because i think she is better than Draper was when she came to NDSU.  Same thing for Vanderwal but hasn't made much improvement in the last year. This is what i see our players are need of coaching on development skills to make them better players. Final criticism is what kind of style of basketball are we trying to play with this team it looks more like independent amateur basketball team running up and down the floor just trying to create your own offense not team concept where you run offense creates openings for best players to have high percentage of scoring each time you have possession.

NDSU at home vs UND Saturday...

NDSU wins by 20....O/U?

UND gets 1.5 technical fouls for arguing every call....O/U?

UND full court presses down too many to come back from with 4 minutes to go??

Which coach calls a timeout with 6.4 seconds left just because that's now a thing in this rivalry?

That is likely to happen that I agree with I see no way does UND can compete with NDSU for full game as we stand. I think the game could go like this we play with them for five to 10 minutes and then we go for five to 10 minutes of hardly scoring and fall behind by 20 points by end of the half. Then get further blown out in the third quarter until the fourth where we bring it back to near 25 points. The other we stay with them to half and loose big time in the second half when they make adjustments, and we try to play same type of game we normally play. I just don't see any way to compete with them for forty minutes unless we play different game than we have shown all year. We don't play with high enough basketball IQ to beat them, and we make too many mistakes that should have been corrected by now. 

I know this will never happen, but Mallory needs to be questioned by media on style of basketball and how close are they to playing it to have winning program.  The next question is on type of player we have been recruiting here at North Dakota where the top programs in the league are recruiting longer players that can play both inside and outside can score of the dribble. We on other hand have been recruiting between players guard that is taller than some quick point guard but smaller than forward and again undersized player to play the forward spot that playing out of position. Examples of this has been Hoskin and last year Gordon. This year out of our 6 recruits to be here more than year we had three recruits fit this longer length our other schools are recruiting in the Summit they are Pemberton, Horne, and Ihbrahim fit this mold but because of coming in later seem to behind the curve to be ready to play. If that was case, we should have looked at redshirting them getting ready for next year. Then we had Owen, Cottingham, and Bass (who did redshirt) out this group that may have potential, but we have had to play these players out of need. I think Cottingham and Owen in the future can be role players for this team and may get significant minutes at time.  This brings us to our sophomore class here we only had Beal that fit what other teams are recruiting has tools, but her shooting has not improved if anything it has gone the other way.  Aumer has developed to where she can fulfill some of the minutes in the top rotation. Vanderwal can play role if she has player, she can match up against in traditional 5 spot, but she can't play if she gets matched up with this tall lengthy player that can move and dribble drive to basket. Hurst plays because she is best, we can put out on the floor to play 4 or 5 but she can't sustain any minutes because she is in constant foul trouble and wants to shoot all the time. So now we are left with Kacie, Hoskin, and Davis to fill out the starting and we have added Pemberton who has played well and doing good job for true freshman. This puts us with bench Vanderwal, Aumer, and Oberg and the freshman to fill in as reserves not particularly strong team to put on the floor. This gets back to roster management I believe instead of couple of freshmen we recruited we needed to look to the transfer portal where we could have picked up couple of experienced players to play with Kacie. These are some of criticisms I have with Mallory because if I can see problems with the roster, she should have been all over this or even her assistant coaches should have been in her ear about this. This is where Mallory inexperience has shown in running of this program and now is she going to change improve upon her approaches or she going to continue in this path. These kinds of decisions are going to make impact on her future with the program. I would like to say in all confidence Mallory is going to improve but I have doubts because she can become stubborn, and her temper can get in her way to making good decisions I see it on the floor. I hope she can improve and start making better decisions because I do like her, and I think she could become very good coach because she has players buy into her which I think is real positive. 

What is the over under on players and Mal complaining to the refs saturday

seems like they should concentrate on the game and not the refs. When hurst gets the ball and brings it down the middle the other 4 players could just as well go back on defense because she is going to shoot or get a charge, not an assist.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Luckily for us they are offering 8th graders from Horace. 

UND now has offers out to THREE current Horace players, as the 9th grade daughter of ex-UND player Jenny Boll was also reportedly offered recently. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2024 at 10:33 AM, UND92,96 said:

UND now has offers out to THREE current Horace players, as the 9th grade daughter of ex-UND player Jenny Boll was also reportedly offered recently. 

Do you know the names of the three? I plan on watching Horace Thursday. Thanks