SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

When will coaches start teaching -layers not to leave the person they are guarding

how many open 3 pointers have ndsu shot and made with no defender in the same neighborhood 

Same lack of any team d whatsoever.  No talk on switches and picks and someone is wide open.  Hence 56 for the bison at half.   On the brighter side, we have scored on the bison putting up 43 ourselves.  Last game at home we didn’t break 20 until 12 seconds left in the half and had 18 turnovers at that point so this is a definite improvement for what that is worth.

We are making it respectable.  Kacie is on fire scoring.  If we could stop anyone on the drive we might make a run at this yet…. Either give up the layup - or double and leave someone wide open for an easy look.  Had it down to 10 but can’t close the gap further.

5 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Do you think she is doing a good job?

I think this is year 3/4 and a critical point. Seems to be some young talent and decent recruits. Tough world with the transfer portal now. I’m not ready to say she’s doing a great job but the next few years will be telling. 

NDSU has reached the level of South Dakota State, and we are now just above the bottom of the league group. The funny part of today's game is that it was one of our better games offensively especially with Kacie's performance. Also think we got to see that Ibrahim is going to become good player for us on inside she is long and moves well. She fits what teams are looking for now in four and five positions. Pemberton is also going to be good player and she is tall enough to play up to four spot but she fits 2 or 3 spots. Hurst can become star, but she is going to need to work on her defense and quickness because if she can't becomes too much of liability when she on the court.  I think Horne has future on team but needs off season on working on different fundamentals and developing her talents to play at division I level. Aumer is type player all teams need leader in showing hustle and putting it all out on the floor.  The rest of team I don't know how they are going perform and if another year development could change our perceptions of them as players all of them are still young players. The new recruits coming look like have potential but i have my doubts if they can play and make immediate impact right away in their freshman season. The last recruits we had like that was Freije and Klabo.  If we do end up with open roster spots, I sure would like us to look to transfer portal see if we could find couple players that could give us some more length and could play immediately and let this young group learn and develop some more. 

5 minutes ago, DL Sioux said:

I think this is year 3/4 and a critical point. Seems to be some young talent and decent recruits. Tough world with the transfer portal now. I’m not ready to say she’s doing a great job but the next few years will be telling. 

What year is Jory in?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

this is Collins 5th year. The cupboard was bare when he arrived.

The cupboard was torn off the wall when he arrived. He had to rebuild the cupboard and then stock it.

Everyone likes to mention how young UND is....NDSU has 2 seniors who I believe could both play another year(Covid), 1 junior, 2 sophomores, and 6 freshmen who all play and contribute.

• Upvote 2

Pemberton is the real deal.  She will only get better.  Schiller from Red River may be an immediate impact player next year.  Ibriaham showed some real improvement.  Hurst has real offensive skills but she is going to have to decide she wants to play defense.  Her matador style defense will continue to put her on the bench with foul trouble, not to mention giving up way too many easy buckets.  Beal is very athletic if we can figure out how to use her. She can raise havoc on defense with her length and speed.  Davis is just too small and absolutely not a shooter.  Aumer seems okay, but we really need to go find more length and speed, plus add a couple of good outside shooters, if we want to take the next step.   Our outside shooting has been atrocious for years.  On the other hand, shooting may improve if we find an offense that gets us better looks.  Before we can take the next step, however, it is more than just the talent.  Mal has to figure out how to get her players to play team offense and team defense.  Our offense is almost entirely whatever Kacie and Hurst can create.  There is no movement whatsoever.  The lack of movement leads to a ridiculous number of turnovers.  On Defense, nobody seems to know where to be.  We don’t cut off drives and when we do help out after a defender gets beat, there is no rotation leaving wide open shooters- i.e. giving up 100 plus way too many times.  Once may be a fluke.  Giving up more than 100 points that many times is a systemic problem.  Breaking a press has to improve.  What I wouldn’t give to have Roebuck back to mentor Mallory for a few years.  If Mallory is going to find success, she is going to have to figure out how to make a team a team.  So far, that is just not happening.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Hans8891 said:

Pemberton is the real deal.  She will only get better.  Schiller from Red River may be an immediate impact player next year.  Ibriaham showed some real improvement.  Hurst has real offensive skills but she is going to have to decide she wants to play defense.  Her matador style defense will continue to put her on the bench with foul trouble, not to mention giving up way too many easy buckets.  Beal is very athletic if we can figure out how to use her. She can raise havoc on defense with her length and speed.  Davis is just too small and absolutely not a shooter.  Aumer seems okay, but we really need to go find more length and speed, plus add a couple of good outside shooters, if we want to take the next step.   Our outside shooting has been atrocious for years.  On the other hand, shooting may improve if we find an offense that gets us better looks.  Before we can take the next step, however, it is more than just the talent.  Mal has to figure out how to get her players to play team offense and team defense.  Our offense is almost entirely whatever Kacie and Hurst can create.  There is no movement whatsoever.  The lack of movement leads to a ridiculous number of turnovers.  On Defense, nobody seems to know where to be.  We don’t cut off drives and when we do help out after a defender gets beat, there is no rotation leaving wide open shooters- i.e. giving up 100 plus way too many times.  Once may be a fluke.  Giving up more than 100 points that many times is a systemic problem.  Breaking a press has to improve.  What I wouldn’t give to have Roebuck back to mentor Mallory for a few years.  If Mallory is going to find success, she is going to have to figure out how to make a team a team.  So far, that is just not happening.

I agree with you 100% on your comments about the team. I thought getting Bledsoe and one of the other coaches new to the program would have brought about some improvement in the offense of the team. Mallory offense is pushing the ball up creating something off the push but if other teams get back make them go to set offense, we then seem to have no offense to create good shot either inside or outside. I believe that is why Kacie had so many passing turnovers this year because of our lack of movement in our offense and not having offense they can do some reversals to get some openings in the defense. Then playing defense has not been there but with Hurst not playing defense when she is out there to be fair to some of the other players it's like playing 5 on 4 for defense. Also, when you play this many players as Mallory have you don't get players getting used to each other and playing as team. It's funny two top teams in Summit both have lost players this season to injury or leaving but play best team basketball the same with our men's team they have pretty much settled into 7-man rotation with occasional 8 man to fill in if one guard positions get into foul trouble and then again if Bigs get into foul trouble. I believe next year is critical for Mallory. She is going to have to show significant improvement in the program to where we are closing the gap with top teams of the Summit because now these are her players entering her fourth season. The end of next season i believe she will only have one year left on her contract, so AD is going to have decide what to do with her and what is best for the program.