SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

49 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Maybe Mo should’ve stayed in Michigan and kept recruiting all the girls he wanted from that area.  This is ridiculous, where is Chaves?  

I’m assuming sitting by himself by the men’s bathroom watching and taking a step back. Then thinking philosophical 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Weird that this team isn’t meshing.  And that girls from 900 miles away aren’t better than girls in our own state.  So weird it worked out this way.  

I honestly don't care if our recruits are local or not. That applies to all our programs. I just want players who get it done on the court and in the classroom.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I honestly don't care if our recruits are local or not. That applies to all our programs. I just want players who get it done on the court and in the classroom.

I do care. It has never ever worked to recruit majority distance in this part of country.  They usually are not better than what is available in tri state area. 

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

I do care. It has never ever worked to recruit majority distance in this part of country.  They usually are not better than what is available in tri state area. 

Of course we should recruit locally and regionally first. But we also shouldn't ignore talent because they aren't midwesterners.

Whatever the problems are in the program, they are obviously substantial and disturbing.

54 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Of course we should recruit locally and regionally first. But we also shouldn't ignore talent because they aren't midwesterners.

Whatever the problems are in the program, they are obviously substantial and disturbing.

I think that's the point we are making.  We are missing out on local talent. Look at the roster for the other Dakota schools.  I just think our coaches can't recruit and don't know what talent is.  Of course get the best talent wherever they are from but don't ignore the local talent. I'll say it again they won national championships with local talent 

• Upvote 2

There are two significant problems I can see one is we are young and asking a lot of our freshmen to step up and play significant minutes. This leads to our second problem is we are playing poor defense. It always is problem when playing freshman to have them play good defense and usually it gets better with time, but time is running out on this season. We are playing so many freshmen on the court at the same time and we can't play several seniors to help a freshman play defense. Bernhard gambled on the Sophomore class could step up and fill in around Kacie and Hoskin, but the fact is they are not even playing as well as the Freshmen class.  If look at today's game if removed Kacie's shooting UND would have only shot 24% and we ended up with still terrible shooting percentage of 31%.

Bernhard recruited this group of players and as it stands now there little, she can do change make up this team.  I think she has been right in playing the Freshman because to me they are the future of this team. The Sophomore class there's talent in that class and couple of them could become role players. Beal is player who has athleticism to become very good player and i think light is going switch on before her career is done but question is when. She also needs to work on her shooting i think she got by just throwing ball up in high school and she was so quick and athletic she would beat them to bucket for rebound but at this level other people box her out and she never gets that second shot layup. Vanderwahl can play if she isn't matched up with another 5 that can play outside and is quick, but she can be quite valuable if playing more typical 5 post player. She also has good attitude and is improving. Aumer looks bigger this year, but she just seems step slower and has no confidence in her shot. If this doesn't turn around difficult to put on the court but she is good teammate and maybe she will regain her step after year of building her up. Hurst has talent but she is, so offense minded that she doesn't play defense and is very lazy playing defense. I as a fan become very frustrated with her type of play, she has flashes of brilliance but if don't work hard on both ends of the floor flashes don't even offset the poor play on defense end of the floor. She often has good statistics but if you would look more deeply the bad side of her game more than offsets the positive side of her game. Bernhard has hard coaching ahead with her to get her play kind of game she demands out of her players and getting her to buy into that type of game. I think Bernhard will have to decide what are players of future for UND for the rest of season and it's going to be long season for us fans. This is what i see looking from outside and being on the inside it might be whole lot of other things i am not aware of or i could be totally wrong on my observations. I still like to think this team has ability turn this around before season ends but time is running short, and it gets hard to fix things in the conference season. 

18 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I’m sorry, but you’re kidding me, right? 

Ummm no. Mostly speaking from the men’s side but top 10ish NAIA teams are easily capable of beating bottom 25-50 D1 teams. We just saw a top 20 women’s Mayville State beat a bad D1 team in UND. 3 years ago a BAD Mayville State men’s team lost by 4 to a terrible D1 UND men’s team. Confused on where you are confused 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ND-fan said:

There are two significant problems I can see one is we are young and asking a lot of our freshmen to step up and play significant minutes. This leads to our second problem is we are playing poor defense. It always is problem when playing freshman to have them play good defense and usually it gets better with time, but time is running out on this season. We are playing so many freshmen on the court at the same time and we can't play several seniors to help a freshman play defense. Bernhard gambled on the Sophomore class could step up and fill in around Kacie and Hoskin, but the fact is they are not even playing as well as the Freshmen class.  If look at today's game if removed Kacie's shooting UND would have only shot 24% and we ended up with still terrible shooting percentage of 31%.

Bernhard recruited this group of players and as it stands now there little, she can do change make up this team.  I think she has been right in playing the Freshman because to me they are the future of this team. The Sophomore class there's talent in that class and couple of them could become role players. Beal is player who has athleticism to become very good player and i think light is going switch on before her career is done but question is when. She also needs to work on her shooting i think she got by just throwing ball up in high school and she was so quick and athletic she would beat them to bucket for rebound but at this level other people box her out and she never gets that second shot layup. Vanderwahl can play if she isn't matched up with another 5 that can play outside and is quick, but she can be quite valuable if playing more typical 5 post player. She also has good attitude and is improving. Aumer looks bigger this year, but she just seems step slower and has no confidence in her shot. If this doesn't turn around difficult to put on the court but she is good teammate and maybe she will regain her step after year of building her up. Hurst has talent but she is, so offense minded that she doesn't play defense and is very lazy playing defense. I as a fan become very frustrated with her type of play, she has flashes of brilliance but if don't work hard on both ends of the floor flashes don't even offset the poor play on defense end of the floor. She often has good statistics but if you would look more deeply the bad side of her game more than offsets the positive side of her game. Bernhard has hard coaching ahead with her to get her play kind of game she demands out of her players and getting her to buy into that type of game. I think Bernhard will have to decide what are players of future for UND for the rest of season and it's going to be long season for us fans. This is what i see looking from outside and being on the inside it might be whole lot of other things i am not aware of or i could be totally wrong on my observations. I still like to think this team has ability turn this around before season ends but time is running short, and it gets hard to fix things in the conference season. 

Didn't see much of the game, but, from what I did see, Hurst was setting a lot of screens for her teammates instead shooting the ball every other time that she touched it.  Also, she was letting a guard bring the ball up the floor, as it should be.  Now, if she starts posting up down low, she'll be hard to stop.  She's a good finisher.