SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

It’s tougher than that though…in many cases the kid picks the school based on the coach (I would for me and my kids if they could play). Coach leaves I’d want my kids to follow. Logical to me.

I think this may be true in a lot of cases and hastings was obviously great at his job , but do you really think our team and recruits picked Berry over the historical pedigree of UND ?? (Not trying to bash berry for the record) 

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

Or colleges on the East Coast, Michigan, and Alaska.

So, CC, DU, Arizona State, Lindenwood, and Huntsville*.

*-pending conference affilitaion

CC and DU are questionable ... in all ways. ;)  

7 minutes ago, MGsioux said:

I think this may be true in a lot of cases and hastings was obviously great at his job , but do you really think our team and recruits picked Berry over the historical pedigree of UND ?? (Not trying to bash berry for the record) 

I mean, when they commit a lot of the recruits mention a connection with the coaching staff as a main factor so it is at least one factor. 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm a master of self-pity. Once I mastered not doing it my life got better. (And I have bouts of reverting back.) 

Who said anything about self pity? This sucks, no other way to put it. The reality is that this will take us a hell of a lot longer to recover than it would und. I was just pointing that out. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

@bale31:
Your post says you'll have at least eleven new faces on the roster.
UND has twelve, maybe just eleven, guys returning. 
Pretty sure UND is looking at more like fourteen or fifteen new faces. 
Tell me your woes again ... 

Well let's see in 2005 North Dakota brought in 13 freshmen.  They were:

Joe Finley (D)

Taylor Chorney (D)

Todd Alexander (D)

Zach Jones (D)

TK Oshie (F)

Ryan Martens (F)

Jonathon Toews (F)

Andrew Kozek (F)

Brad Miller (F and then played D later)

Ryan Duncan (F)

Matt Watkins (F)

Brain Lee (D)

Aaron Walski (G)

That team had 6 sophomores, 6 juniors, and 2 seniors. They went to 4 Frozen Fours in a row even though a number of players turned pro early. Not sure if this is even possible now with the transfer portal but we can hope?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stack said:

Well let's see in 2005 North Dakota brought in 13 freshmen.  They were:

Joe Finley (D)

Taylor Chorney (D)

Todd Alexander (D)

Zach Jones (D)

TK Oshie (F)

Ryan Martens (F)

Jonathon Toews (F)

Andrew Kozek (F)

Brad Miller (F and then played D later)

Ryan Duncan (F)

Matt Watkins (F)

Brain Lee (D)

Aaron Walski (G)

That team had 6 sophomores, 6 juniors, and 2 seniors. They went to 4 Frozen Fours in a row even though a number of players turned pro early. Not sure if this is even possible now with the transfer portal but we can hope?

What a haul! Who the heck is Todd Alexander? 

3 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

What a haul! Who the heck is Todd Alexander? 

Looked him up. He was on the team that year and played 3 games with no points. He then transfered  to St Thomas for the last three years when St Thomas was in the MIAC conference.

That team also had future NHLers in Travis Zajak, and Drew Stafford plus Rastislav Spirko went to the Europe before finishing his 4 years.  

I have thought of that team when looking ahead to the upcoming year, in this unfortunate way.  That team probably had the best top 6 UND has seen since the early 80s, but the young defense was not ready and as a result they fell short of a title.  This year should have a very good forward group, but will history repeat itself on the back end?

Not that this year's forwards will compare to 2005-06.  Zajac, Oshie, Spirko and Stafford, Toews, Duncan.  Ridiculous, even if young.