SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-lands-commitment-from-miami-goalie-ludvig-persson

Uh-oh:

"Obviously, the facilities are unbelievable," Persson said. "Also, the culture and the vibe I was getting walking around the locker room, the campus, that winning culture they have. . . that's something I really wanted to be a part of. How they operate is elite. I'm very excited for that."

;) :D 

"It's a winning program," Persson said. "I saw how they operate. If you work hard and use the resources you have, I'm very excited to see what we can do. I'm just going to work hard and take it day-by-day, but it looks really good right now."

After going in the transfer portal, Persson said he decided early that he wanted to remain in the NCHC.

"There were a lot of phone calls in the beginning," Persson said. "Once I kind of figured out and understood what opportunity I could get at North Dakota, and how much I liked it, it was an easy decision."

I wonder...being that Persson has two years of eligibility remaining...do they delay Hedquist one more season (he still has one year of junior eligibility remaining) and bring in another goalie recruit or portal guy in a backup role?
It's either that, or Hedquist spends his first two years as a backup at UND gaining some college experience (rather than being the go-to guy in juniors) and takes over the reigns his JR season.

I wouldn't be surprised either way.

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

I wonder...being that Persson has two years of eligibility remaining...do they delay Hedquist one more season (he still has one year of junior eligibility remaining) and bring in another goalie recruit or portal guy in a backup role?
It's either that, or Hedquist spends his first two years as a backup at UND gaining some college experience (rather than being the go-to guy in juniors) and takes over the reigns his JR season.

I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Persson will be 24 when the season starts so not guaranteed that he will be around for 2 years.  I'd bring in Hedquist and sprinkle as much as you can next season.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

Of course the year we need the most portals we still have 10 foot drifts on the ground and temperatures less than freezing well into spring.  Welcome to campus on your visit.

:D 
Pyke seemed to like it compared to Alaska.  Ha!  ;) 

Pyke visited UND this week.

"I was really impressed," he said. "I had seen photos of the facilities and the rink — that speaks for itself — but I was surprised at how nice the campus is. I was really impressed with it."

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Persson will be 24 when the season starts so not guaranteed that he will be around for 2 years.  I'd bring in Hedquist and sprinkle as much as you can next season.

Yeah that's true. 
Although, if a 25yo goalie can lead UMN to the Frozen Four, one can lead UND there as well.  ;) 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, brianvf said:

:D 
Pyke seemed to like it compared to Alaska.  Ha!  ;) 

Yeah that's true. 
Although, if a 25yo goalie can lead UMN to the Frozen Four, one can lead UND there as well.  ;) 

But he’s not Canadian!

I see that a gopher fan tweeted a reply to Schloss’ announcement about Persson, quoting his numbers and laughing. Clearly this person has absolutely no clue about the kind of goaltender he is and the fact he played on some absolutely gawd awful teams. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I see that a gopher fan tweeted a reply to Schloss’ announcement about Persson, quoting his numbers and laughing. Clearly this person has absolutely no clue about the kind of goaltender he is and the fact he played on some absolutely gawd awful teams. 

If it doesn't happen in the B1G, they don't know and/or care about it.

• Upvote 1