SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Well we’ll see how it goes. Bigger boy…so so numbers the past year playing in the WCHA. Older guy. Kind of what I thought would be coming in 

Regarding available players, this is a really good get. Plays all phases, big minutes, steady eddy. Sorely needed when brining in 5 freshies. 

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Regarding available players, this is a really good get. Plays all phases, big minutes, steady eddy. Sorely needed when brining in 5 freshies. 

Who's the next defenseman target? Bengtsson from LSSU?

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Had to do a double take because Hockey DB lists him as a forward

Just looking into Garrett Pyke: 6'1", 190 lbs., defenseman, left-hand shot, from Mississauga, Ont.

For those who like statistical oddities, check out Pyke's stats from the past two years: identical number of games played, goals scored, assists, and points.

2021‑22 Alaska ** 34 4 15 19 2 0 46 54 2
2022‑23 Alaska ** 34 4 15 19 1 0 40 72 14

"Pyke is not the first Alaska defenseman to transfer to UND.

Two years ago, the Fighting Hawks got Chris Jandric out of the portal. Jandric played two years at UND, earning first-team all-National Collegiate Hockey Conference honors this season.

Jandric and Pyke were teammates in 2019-20."

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, mn_sioux said:

Schloss mentioned Palocsik (Dartmouth)and Warren (BC)

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Really hoping it’s warren 

Any particular reason you prefer Warren? (Honest question; I know zilch about either guy.)

1 hour ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

And just like that, Wisconsin is once again a powerhouse.

He'll have his work cut out for him for sure.
He's no longer the Big Fish in the little WCHA pond...he's now the Little Fish in the big B10 pond...at a school that could care less about hockey.
It'll be interesting to see how long he takes to turn UW into a contender again.

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/alaska-captain-garrett-pyke-commits-to-und

UND has added one of the top defensemen from the NCAA transfer portal.

Alaska captain Garrett Pyke, who nearly led the Nanooks to a surprising NCAA tournament appearance this season, committed to the Fighting Hawks on Thursday. Pyke will have one year of college eligibility remaining.

"I'm excited," Pyke said. "Obviously, it's a program in college that everyone is familiar with. It's a great team, a great coaching staff. To be a part of it, it's a good feeling."

Pyke, a 6-foot-1, 190-pound left-handed blue liner, posted identical numbers in his final two seasons with Alaska — 34 games, four goals, 19 points. He also registered a team-high plus-14.

Unfortunately only one year of eligibility remaining.  Hopefully the other dman portal additions have 2+ years.
I like his +/- though.

The Fighting Hawks will be turning over their entire defensive unit and bringing aboard eight new players.

"I think it's a big opportunity," Pyke said. "There's a little change in the defensemen. I'll be able to step in, and I want to be able to contribute right away. I want to be the guy. We also have a great freshman class coming in. I think they're going to play a big role as well. There are some top returning guys at forward. I'm excited for this team. We've got some big things ahead of us."

Pyke played the No. 1 defenseman role in Alaska, averaging a team-high 23:06 per game.

He played on the power play both at the top of the zone and in the right circle.

"I think I'm most effective and most comfortable at the top," Pyke said. "That's probably the best spot for me."

Whether Motzko could meld his talent at finding and developing older players with the young superstars he'd have access to at MN was an open question, since answered.  Now we'll see if Hastings can do it.  I'm guessing yes.

56 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Any particular reason you prefer Warren? (Honest question; I know zilch about either guy.)

Much better pedigree, 2 years younger and has played over 120 games in a significantly tougher conference. Not a righty though, they may be going for a righty.

• Upvote 1