SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

1 minute ago, Mhockey said:

I can't imagine the coaching staff wanted to be in this situation. 

That's my question.  Was this situation something that they pushed for?  As the timing is a little weird.  Why did Moore wait a full 1.5 weeks after the portal process started in order to enter himself?  Essentially, did the coaching staff get confirmation from a few experienced D in the portal, so they told Moore that he may be sitting next season in favor of some of the experienced portal dmen and the talented incoming freshmen? 
Who knows.

23 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Moore in the portal...

Is what has happened so far in our off season "roster management" or a free fall?  What is going on with recruiting? - we are once again in the portal for a goalie and now have zero returning defensemen.  Not sure we are going to catch the top teams with this approach (if you can call it an approach)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Don’t take this as “coming after you or anything” but from the past few days you were def in the camp of using the portal could be a negative long term, now you are fine with an underclassmen (portz) taking off. Reason?

It's all situational / player specific. I want UND to recruit talent, develop talent, play talent. To be blunt, Portz was one of the four forwards that I don't think is very good. To go one step further, between 5, 11, 13, 20, I think two would be ideal. 

6 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Very curious. How many of these departures were “tough” talks from the coaching staff? How many of these departures were  the player/family advisor driven?

I’d bet my next 3 mortgage payments Moore’s was an advisor discussion. Clearly something is not right.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

This is wild. I really don’t want to he a transfer portal team but it feels like that’s the only way we will be able to field a competitive team. Feel like we are Bobby Petrino and Missouri State right now. 

Need a lot of new players to field a TEAM, let alone a competitive one.  

10 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Very curious. How many of these departures were “tough” talks from the coaching staff? How many of these departures were  the player/family advisor driven?

If we see a few portal additions to this team in the next couple days, then I think we’ll know a bit more. 
But Moore is still an odd one. He would have received, or at least been given the chance, to get plenty of ice time. 

1 minute ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Think of the ice time Moore would have received, powerplay , penality kill , something seems rotten in Denmark. 

What if he wasn’t guaranteed any of that so he decided to look for those opportunities elsewhere? Pure speculation on my part, but what if something like that was the case. Very interested to hear what the story is.