SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

51 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Off-season time killer, predictions for next year. (Someone else can do the defensive core :-) )

Gaber -

• 2022 stats: 20 Goals 17 assists -- 37 points
  • 2023 prediction - 24 Goals 22 assists -- 46 points
  • Note - Overall should improve uptake in goals & points one would assume for 2023- '24 season 

McLaughlin - 

• 2022 stats: 2 Goals 13 assists -- 15 points
  • 2023 prediction - 14 Goals 20 assists -- 34 points
  • If he doesn't hit a million pipes again in the '23-'24 season, will easily be a double digit goal scorer, no question. Imagine where last year's team would have been had Owen scored more than 2 goals on the season ffs?! 

Blake - 

• 2022 stats: 16 Goals 26 assists -- 42 points
  • 2023 prediction - 25 Goals 32 assists -- 57 points
  • Your '23-'24 Hobey (Blaker) Baker winner or a top 3 candidate 100%

James - 

• 2022 stats: 8 Goals 8 assists -- 16 points
  • 2023 prediction - 15 Goals 18 assists -- 33 points
  • Will have a huge sophomore year, will get stronger this off-season and that will make him even more explosive and faster - crazy! Could exceed projected point total.

Berg - 

• 2022 stats: 10 Goals 24 assists -- 24 points
  • 2023 prediction - 14 Goals 22 assists -- 36 points
  • Have Cameron scoring a few more goals but have lower assists total, his point outcome "could" exceed this prediction. All depends on his role, line mates and chemistry for next year.

Perron -

• 2022 (USHL) stats: 22 Goals 47 assists -- 69 points
  • 2023 prediction - 13 Goals 22 assists -- 35 points
  • Listed at 5'9 ~ 165 lb, it'll take him a bit to transition to the college level/game. Everything I've heard, he's more of a set up guy but can certainly bury the puck in the back of the net too. How good will this freshman be? TBD.
    • Note best "freshie forwards in the last decade" Pinto, Brock, Jackson B. Is Jayden in this company? TBD...

Kunz -

• 2022 stats: 5 Goals 0 assists -- 5 points
  • 2023 prediction - 11 Goals 13 assists -- 24 points
  • Have to think Kunz takes a huge jump in development and continues to work on foot speed this offseason and rounding out other areas of his game. Should be on PP unit #1 or #2 and be the focal point being the big body in front of the net on the PP 100%. No way he doesn't Surpass his point total of 5 from last year...

Schmaltz - 

• 2022 stats: 5 Goals 7 assists -- 12 points
  • 2023 prediction - 10 Goals 14 assists -- 24 points
  • Jake is a ? mark for next year depending on role and what line & players are on his line. Needs a jump in his development with consistent scoring and strength. Skill is there...work (workout) with your cousin, Nick this off-season as Nick finally got the message to shoot more in the NHL and he's become more of an offense threat and a great puck retreater with his stick lifts etc. Jake needs to carbon copy this 100%.

Emerson - 

• 2022 (USHL) stats: 30 Goals 33 assists -- 69 points
  • 2023 prediction - 8 Goals 10 assists -- 18 points
  • Haven't watched/seen enough of his game. Everything I hear is that he goes in the paint and goes to the net to get his goals. If he has more speed than Jackson Kuntz, there's no reason to assume he'll have more production output as a freshman comparing Emerson and Kunz USHL stats.

Jamernik - 

• 2022 stats: 3 Goals 11 assists -- 14 points
  • 2023 prediction - 7 Goals 13 assists -- 20 points
  • Should have better production next year. Needs to find that scoring/production touch. Has the skill & speed, just isn't a lethal scorer at all but serves other roles. We shall see.

Strinden - 

• 2022 stats: 3 Goals 6 assists -- 9 points
  • 2023 prediction - 9 Goals 15 assists -- 24 points
  • Has the skill and rounded game. Depending what opportunity given line and teammates, could certainly exceed 9 goals next year in my opinion.

Ness - 

• 2022 stats: 5 Goals 1 assists -- 6 points
  • 2023 prediction - 7 Goals 5 assists -- 12 points

Johannes - 

• 2023 prediction - 13 Goals 16 assists -- 29 points
  • 2023 prediction - Honestly, TBD, depends what line, role, who he is playing with. 

So if we get similar goal production next year as we did last year from our backend we will average 4 1/2  goals a game and likely be the highest scoring team in the country. Would be great to see.

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

Off-season time killer, predictions for next year. (Someone else can do the defensive core :-) )

Gaber -

• Note - Overall should improve uptake in goals & points one would assume for 2023- '24 season 

McLaughlin - 

• If he doesn't hit a million pipes again in the '23-'24 season, will easily be a double digit goal scorer, no question. Imagine where last year's team would have been had Owen scored more than 2 goals on the season ffs?! 

Blake - 

James - 

• Will have a huge sophomore year, will get stronger this off-season and that will make him even more explosive and faster - crazy! Could exceed projected point total.

Berg - 

• Have Cameron scoring a few more goals but have lower assists total, his point outcome "could" exceed this prediction. All depends on his role, line mates and chemistry for next year.

Perron -

• Listed at 5'9 ~ 165 lb, it'll take him a bit to transition to the college level/game. Everything I've heard, he's more of a set up guy but can certainly bury the puck in the back of the net too. How good will this freshman be? TBD.
    • Note best "freshie forwards in the last decade" Pinto, Brock, Jackson B. Is Jayden in this company? TBD...

Kunz -

• Have to think Kunz takes a huge jump in development and continues to work on foot speed this offseason and rounding out other areas of his game. Should be on PP unit #1 or #2 and be the focal point being the big body in front of the net on the PP 100%. No way he doesn't Surpass his point total of 5 from last year...

Schmaltz - 

• Jake is a ? mark for next year depending on role and what line & players are on his line. Needs a jump in his development with consistent scoring and strength. Skill is there...work (workout) with your cousin, Nick this off-season as Nick finally got the message to shoot more in the NHL and he's become more of an offense threat and a great puck retreater with his stick lifts etc. Jake needs to carbon copy this 100%.

Emerson - 

• Haven't watched/seen enough of his game. Everything I hear is that he goes in the paint and goes to the net to get his goals. If he has more speed than Jackson Kuntz, there's no reason to assume he'll have more production output as a freshman comparing Emerson and Kunz USHL stats.

Jamernik - 

• Should have better production next year. Needs to find that scoring/production touch. Has the skill & speed, just isn't a lethal scorer at all but serves other roles. We shall see.

Strinden - 

• Has the skill and rounded game. Depending what opportunity given line and teammates, could certainly exceed 9 goals next year in my opinion.

Ness - 

Johannes - 

• 2023 prediction - Honestly, TBD, depends what line, role, who he is playing with. 

If they come close to your predictions the team will be in St. Paul in early April.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

Since we are going to pass the time with predictions, how many shortys will James have?

Looking back, we don’t score a ton of short handed goals, probably about 3 a year. If we have defensemen that are all right with being aggressive under certain circumstances, I think we double that next year, and James could get 2-3 of those. Surprisingly, Minnesota and Michigan didn’t score many short handed either, while St. Cloud had 8.

11 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Blake/Berg/Emerson

James/McL/Gaber

Perron/Schmaltz/Johannes

Kunz/Jammer/Strinden;Ness;Albrecht;Mont

Pyke/Weibe

Livanavage/Perhson

Benoit/Zmolek

Komzak may or may not play.

enter goalieman…..

Emerson will be great in front to get Blakes rebounds and help create space.

Gaber should have plenty of opportunities with all the speed with him.

I think Johannes will surprise, and having him with Perron and Schmaltz could be a “top line” killer. Win draws and make things difficult.

Perron is a playmaker kinda like Blake, think he would be perfect with Gaber or Berg who are 2 shooters

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Conversations with Albrecht had to have some discussion about his role. One doesn't come back for a 5th year not to play. If Strinden has another year like last I'd be shocked if he returns for a 3rd. When I look at the forward lines above I like what is there. Guys can't get squeezed again at the risk of having them bolt.  The 10 and 19 cards were grossly overplayed this past season and it cost UND a couple solid guys to the portal that had years left that contributed and could have been developed further. Just my opinion but 21 needs to be in the lineup every night. He's a top 9 guy. Flip him with Johannes to pair with Schmaltz and Perron.

This times ten (or times 21?).

Last season Strinden seemed to get overlooked a bit. Blake flashes skill with the puck, McLaughlin shows vision and edgework, James displays speed and defensive tenacity. IMO, Strinden hasn't shown a single trait that screams, Look at me! But my optimistic self thinks he's got something special that this team needs, even though I struggle to put my finget on it. Sturdiness, responsibility, smarts, and enough skill to be a winner, maybe? 

3 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Gaber -

McLaughlin - 

Blake - 

James - 

Berg - 

Perron -

Kunz -

Schmaltz - 

Emerson - 

Jamernik - 

Strinden - 

Ness - 

Johannes - 

Thank you for the write up. Your projections are very optimistic, but is this not the season for optimism? I hope you are proven right. 

24 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

This times ten (or times 21?).

Last season Strinden seemed to get overlooked a bit. Blake flashes skill with the puck, McLaughlin shows vision and edgework, James displays speed and defensive tenacity. IMO, Strinden hasn't shown a single trait that screams, Look at me! But my optimistic self thinks he's got something special that this team needs, even though I struggle to put my finget on it. Sturdiness, responsibility, smarts, and enough skill to be a winner, maybe? 

I like Strinden a lot and think he should be a regular in the lineup, but to be frank I think he’s still a 4th liner on next year’s team. At least to start. Nothing wrong with that - I think we can put together a really good 4th line.  But based on how last season ended, it seems he’s behind Kunz on the depth chart. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mattim said:

I’m tired of people on this site bashing Albrecht. Some of the same are saying we have no loyalty amongst players anymore. He just wants to play Sioux hockey. My guess, if one of the top 6 forwards forgot their skates, Albrecht would say “here, use mine”! He is a team first guy! I do not want to see us lose a newbie because Albrecht is going through the motions and getting lots of ice time. But, he’ll be the guy giving 100+% during practice and games pushing his team mates to play well enough to make him sit. He and the coaches know Carson’s role, if he plays it will be because he make the team better by being on the ice!

I guess I wasn’t saying that to bash Albrecht. I was just saying to the other poster that he does not have 2 years remaining like the others. This is his final year no matter what. Sorry. 

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

I guess I wasn’t saying that to bash Albrecht. I was just saying to the other poster that he does not have 2 years remaining like the others. This is his final year no matter what. Sorry. 

He does have 2 years left though. Schlossman already said so. Albrecht didn’t play in any games as a freshman so that year didn’t count. His sophomore year was the Covid season that didn’t count for anyone. So he does in fact have 2 years of eligibility left if he wants to use both. 

4 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

You are incorrect.

Very excited for this next season, Berry had made some changes that most of us didn’t think he would. Berry knows his team wasn’t competitive the was it was and made some wholesale changes, now we will wait and see how the game management is. Looking foward to hockey this fall. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He does have 2 years left though. Schlossman already said so. Albrecht didn’t play in any games as a freshman so that year didn’t count. His sophomore year was the Covid season that didn’t count for anyone. So he does in fact have 2 years of eligibility left if he wants to use both. 

Interesting. My bad @The Sicatoka

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My thought was Pyke and Pehrson are bigger than Farmer and Sidorski were.

Zmolek, Wiebe and Benoit are bigger than Frisch, Johnson and Bast, and Komzak and Kleven are pretty similar.

5 hours ago, mattim said:

I’m tired of people on this site bashing Albrecht. Some of the same are saying we have no loyalty amongst players anymore. He just wants to play Sioux hockey. My guess, if one of the top 6 forwards forgot their skates, Albrecht would say “here, use mine”! He is a team first guy! I do not want to see us lose a newbie because Albrecht is going through the motions and getting lots of ice time. But, he’ll be the guy giving 100+% during practice and games pushing his team mates to play well enough to make him sit. He and the coaches know Carson’s role, if he plays it will be because he make the team better by being on the ice!

I’ll never forget that huge goal he scored for us in Duluth a few seasons ago. He looked so damn happy, you could see his smile from ear to ear. And if I recall, that may have been either the game tying or game winning goal, on the road no less. I love Albrecht’s enthusiasm and team first mentality. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1