SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

2 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

This is a big deal. I expect to see a Chiclets U episode on youtube in the coming days. I watched the Penn State edition and it was really cool.

They have done ASU, UMass, BC, Penn State, and UND so far. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Sounds like Jamernik has decided to come back for next season using the final extra covid year. He won't take part in this weekends Senior Day.

Fine by me. I like his game…plays his role well. Also, he only played a half year during his frosh season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Next year's captain if Gaber goes, and I'm all for it.

I'm guessing Gaber goes. He's shown he can be the focal point of offense; he's shown he can be the supplemental star to someone else (Blake). His resume is complete. Not much more to do in the college game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Sounds like Jamernik has decided to come back for next season using the final extra covid year. He won't take part in this weekends Senior Day.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/why-louis-jamernik-v-wont-go-through-senior-night-festivities-this-weekend

UND will honor three fourth-year seniors — captain Riese Gaber, forward Griffin Ness and goaltender Ludvig Persson.

The Fighting Hawks also will honor fifth-year senior transfer Hunter Johannes, because he did not receive a senior day last season at Lindenwood.

UND's other fifth-year senior transfers — Garrett Pyke (Alaska), Keaton Pehrson (Michigan) and Logan Britt (Sacred Heart) — were recognized at their previous stops.

Agreed with others, I could def see Jammer wearing the C if Gaber decides to not use his extra COVID year.

"It goes way back to when I first came here in December (2020)," Jamernik said. "(The coaches) said, 'Hey Jammer, we'd love for you to come up. This is a COVID year. It's a write-off year. You can still have four years after that.' That's always been my plan.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

…well i can think of one thing he could do 

19 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I'd be ok if he did that this year and next year if he wanted.  ;)

With some of the players coming in next year and the maturation of the current roster, next year could be A LOT of fun.

43 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

With some of the players coming in next year and the maturation of the current roster, next year could be A LOT of fun.

What's the goaltending situation for next year?

36 minutes ago, Dustin said:

What's the goaltending situation for next year?

I'd assume Persson will stay for another year...he has one more year of eligibility remaining after this current season.
Persson and Hobie tandem for one more year.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I'd assume Persson will stay for another year...he has one more year of eligibility remaining after this current season.

I thought so too but the article you quote above makes me wonder about this now with him being honored this weekend. No other choice but to hit the portal again if he doesn't come back. 

4 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I thought so too but the article you quote above makes me wonder about this now with him being honored this weekend. No other choice but to hit the portal again if he doesn't come back. 

All Seniors that have not been honored for a Senior night yet are being honored.  Nothing to do with whether they are coming back or not.  I'm guessing those decisions will be made by the Athlete and coaches end of April or May.

I sure hope we are not hitting the portal again next year for the 4th year in a row.  I thought we had a star Goaltender set to come in.  Beside Hobie needs to be given a shot.  Bothers me how Berry relies on one goaltender for the whole season.  He need to get the back-up some minutes throughout the year for the good of the future or injuries.

32 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I was told recently that Persson is likely to sign a pro deal. Hobie would get a shot at the No. 1 spot, but we'd likely hit the portal for competition as Heil isn't ready yet

9 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I was told recently that Persson is likely to sign a pro deal. Hobie would get a shot at the No. 1 spot, but we'd likely hit the portal for competition as Heil isn't ready yet

Nor old enough! We don't have any other option but to hit the portal if Persson leaves. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Nor old enough! We don't have any other option but to hit the portal if Persson leaves. 

Yep. I like what we've seen with Hobie and he'll get his shot. The portal G would be insurance, for sure.

32 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yep. I like what we've seen with Hobie and he'll get his shot. The portal G would be insurance, for sure.

Hopefully "insurance" means one year rental ("1A" option) behind Hobie and Heil is ready to come in fall of '25. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hopefully "insurance" means one year rental ("1A" option) behind Hobie and Heil is ready to come in fall of '25. 

That was my impression. I suppose if there's a guy out there that's younger, they wouldn't say no.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not many goalies come into college hockey at 18 and have success. I would be surprised if we bring in Heil in the fall of 25 but it sure looks like that is the plan as of now. 

42 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Not many goalies come into college hockey at 18 and have success. I would be surprised if we bring in Heil in the fall of 25 but it sure looks like that is the plan as of now. 

I was just going to say this. I really don’t think there’s much of a chance he comes in 2025. The last time we brought in a true freshman at goalie it didn’t work out and it’s just pretty rare. I just find it to be a bad idea in general. I’m pretty sure we’ve gotta be looking for a guy to fill a spot until Heil is ready. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Big Green said:

All Seniors that have not been honored for a Senior night yet are being honored.  Nothing to do with whether they are coming back or not.  I'm guessing those decisions will be made by the Athlete and coaches end of April or May.

I sure hope we are not hitting the portal again next year for the 4th year in a row.  I thought we had a star Goaltender set to come in.  Beside Hobie needs to be given a shot.  Bothers me how Berry relies on one goaltender for the whole season.  He need to get the back-up some minutes throughout the year for the good of the future or injuries.

Hakstol tried to get Cam Johnson in his freshman season and this board exploded when he gave up three and had to be pulled.  With how tight the pairwise is, coaches really have to play who they think will help them win the game.   I don’t think CC will be playing anyone but Mbereko, unless they are getting beat handily.  It used to be the backup would get games against perceived lesser opponents.  You do that now and lose,  your pairwise takes a big hit.