SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

28 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Honestly, there is no other fan base in collegiate sports that bitches about single elimination tournament formats and bad luck more than ours. That used to be a trademark of the Gopher fan base and we used to call them out on it. I guess if you live long enough, you'll see all sorts of things. :crazy:

I don’t think anyone is bitching about it, just stating the statistical fact that in a 4 game one and done system, with all competent teams, the odds of the “best” team winning is  quite small.

I’m fine with the current system, but don’t lose all sense of reason when the season ends without a championship in a coin-flip game.

• Upvote 2

The Fighting Hawks can clinch home ice for the NCHC quarterfinals with one point next weekend against Western Michigan. There's even an outside chance UND could win its fourth Penrose Cup in five years on Saturday night if it sweeps the Broncos and Denver sweeps St. Cloud State.

That'd be asking a lot for us to sweep the Broncos and DU to sweep SCSU...but that'd be great to have the Penrose locked up at home on Saturday night.
Although that wouldn't leave much to play for the following weekend at UNO.

When the NCHC releases its top 5 plays of the week....they may have to add a few...there was 5 for UND alone this weekend.   Pretty sure Blake has the forward of the week, and Ludwig may be goaltender of the week....that was a very complete weekend of hockey for the boys....keep it rolling!

On 2/23/2024 at 8:47 AM, Goon said:

Cooper Moore said that I've heard it from a couple of different people, but Schloss had it in his Twitter feed last spring. 

“It’s too much pressure playing for this team that can’t win an NCAA tournament game, if we even make it, so I’ll just transfer to the reigning national champions.”

Weird. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

“It’s too much pressure playing for this team that can’t win an NCAA tournament game, if we even make it, so I’ll just transfer to the reigning national champions.”

Weird. 

Not sure if you're being dense or deliberately obtuse to not understand how much more pressure is on you playing for UND vs Quinnipiac. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 108498 said:

I do not understand how UND has been swept this year by CC. UND has some good wins and yet has been easily handled by CC. They are the last team UND wants to play in the postseason. 

I don’t believe that to be true. Maybe for some fans, but not the team. They would certainly embrace the challenge to play them again this season.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 9:21 AM, Walsh Hall said:

Having a stacked team guarantees it, like 1997 Michigan, 2010 UND, etc… 

I’d love to know who would have won championships over the last 40 years if there were 5 game series instead of one and done.  My guess is we’d have picked up 2-4 others (including the lost year) and lost 1 or 2 as well.

Hockey has, statically, the largest variance in actual result versus implied result of the major sports (tennis is last).  You have to be good, but luck has to be on your side to win.

I’ve always said what you just stated/agree fully. 

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Not sure if you're being dense or deliberately obtuse to not understand how much more pressure is on you playing for UND vs Quinnipiac. 

Neither.  But boy, I wonder how he’ll handle Detroit/NHL where beat reporters actually offer critical takes about the teams they follow; maybe he transfers to the Grand Rapids Griffins?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 108498 said:

I do not understand how UND has been swept this year by CC. UND has some good wins and yet has been easily handled by CC. They are the last team UND wants to play in the postseason. 

Because hockey 

Question, when ESPN has the regionals on ESPN-U, historically have you been able to watch them on ESPN Plus or would you need to have the ESPN-U channel to watch it? I trying to time my Fubo TV month subscription so I get this weeks game on CBS-SN as well as the regional weekend.

48 minutes ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

Question, when ESPN has the regionals on ESPN-U, historically have you been able to watch them on ESPN Plus or would you need to have the ESPN-U channel to watch it? I trying to time my Fubo TV month subscription so I get this weeks game on CBS-SN as well as the regional weekend.

They've been on espn+ recently. 

45 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

They have posted Duncan's final skate. A special moment his kids will remember forever. 

It was so cool. Duncs was a helluva player, but he's a million times better as a human being. Deserves every bit of the praise he got

• Upvote 4

Blake having himself quite a year compared to past UND players and in NCHC scoring:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/weekend-rewind-could-jackson-blake-pull-off-a-rare-feat-this-season

Blake now has 47 points this season.

The only UND players to hit that mark in the last decade were Brock Boeser (60 points) and Drake Caggiula (51) during the 2015-16 NCAA national championship-winning season.

Prior to that, Danny Kristo (52) and Corban Knight (49) did it in 2012-13. Others in the last 20 years are Brock Nelson (47) in 2011-12, Matt Frattin (60) in 2010-11, Ryan Duncan (57) and T.J. Oshie (52) in 2006-07, Drew Stafford (48) and Travis Zajac (47) in 2005-06, and Brandon Bochenski (60) and Zach Parise (55) in 2003-04.

Blake is up to 89 points in his career, making the Century Club attainable this season.

Blake just needs four points to set a new NCHC conference points record:

In National Collegiate Hockey Conference play, Blake has 32 points in 20 games.

He's just three shy of the NCHC record of 35, set by UND's Brock Boeser in 2015-16 and Denver's Bobby Brink in 2021-22. Denver's Henrik Borgstrom had 33 in 2017-18. Nobody else has tallied more than Blake's 32 in the 11-year history of the league.

One point per remaining game would give him that record.

15 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Fantastic stuff here for UND. Chiclets and Grinelli are a massive brand for hockey and this partnership is a big deal, IMO. 

This is a big deal. I expect to see a Chiclets U episode on youtube in the coming days. I watched the Penn State edition and it was really cool.

• Upvote 2