SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

They made it sound like we are bringing in a bunch of scrubs. Pehrson, Pyke and Zmolek would be in top 2 pairings across the NCHC. Bubs and company focused on responsibile d-men because they realize what we have up front and also what we have coming in the pipeline. 

They lost me at Huskies Warming House Podcast. Feldy gave us a pretty good rundown on Zmolek during the UND hockey Podcast, earlier this year after he was signed with UND. I don't recall what podcast it was, but he gave us a pretty good scouting report on what to expect with him. 

It would seem our small forwards have GROWN.

Jackson Blake

• 2022 ht/wt: 5'11"/165.
  • 2023 ht/wt: 5'11"/173. +8 lbs

Owen McLaughlin

• 2022 ht/wt: 6'0"/156.
  • 2023 ht/wt: 6'0"/172. +16 lbs

Riese Gaber

• 2022 ht/wt: 5'8"/163.
  • 2023 ht/wt: 5'8"/170. +7 lbs

Griffin Ness

• 2022 ht/wt: 5'11"/170.
  • 2023 ht/wt: 6'0"/184. +1 inch/+14 lbs

I take roster specs with a grain of salt, but assuming these heights/weights are relatively accurate, this is very impressive (assuming that the extra weight is mostly muscle). OMac and Ness in particular stand out. I think it's fair to assume that these weight gains represent many hours in the gym and likely a lot of discipline when it comes to nutrition. And Mark Poolman's guidance. Atta-boys all around.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

It would seem our small forwards have GROWN.

Jackson Blake

• 2022 ht/wt: 5'11"/165.
  • 2023 ht/wt: 5'11"/173. +8 lbs

Owen McLaughlin

• 2022 ht/wt: 6'0"/156.
  • 2023 ht/wt: 6'0"/172. +16 lbs

Riese Gaber

• 2022 ht/wt: 5'8"/163.
  • 2023 ht/wt: 5'8"/170. +7 lbs

Griffin Ness

• 2022 ht/wt: 5'11"/170.
  • 2023 ht/wt: 6'0"/184. +1 inch/+14 lbs

I take roster specs with a grain of salt, but assuming these heights/weights are relatively accurate, this is very impressive (assuming that the extra weight is mostly muscle). OMac and Ness in particular stand out. I think it's fair to assume that these weight gains represent many hours in the gym and likely a lot of discipline when it comes to nutrition. And Mark Poolman's guidance. Atta-boys all around.

It is always interesting to see the comparisons from year to year.  I hope the weight gains are accurate.  I see it as especially important for McLaughlin to have gained muscle weight over the summer with Pooly's assistance.  I would love him to be our second line center, but he needed to improve his strength on faceoffs.  I think his talent is there to handle that with the increased confidence of being 55-60% on faceoffs and having the puck more offensively.  Gaber would also benefit from the extra muscle weight.

Again, hope these are accurate, but am excited for the season to start.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

They made it sound like we are bringing in a bunch of scrubs. Pehrson, Pyke and Zmolek would be in top 2 pairings across the NCHC. Bubs and company focused on responsibile d-men because they realize what we have up front and also what we have coming in the pipeline. 

Did we have a brief dip in recruiting? Yes.

Does it look like we are rebounding in that department? Yes.

Will we get every high-ranked recruit we go after? No.

Obviously we'll know more once October rolls around, but there is reasonable cause for optimism and expectations for a bounce-back year are not out of line.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Scratch said:

My guess is maybe sneak into the tournament and lose but most likely end in the 20s in pairwise. Total wildcard with the new D

Scratch I don't know where you came from  but you sound a lot like eeyore.  I could not disagree with you more , this team has reloaded and will be back big time this year.  Top 5 in the nation by Christmas.  Please feel free to copy this because when they are top 5 I am coming back with an I Told you so.  GOSIOUX 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MGsioux said:

Scratch I don't know where you came from  but you sound a lot like eeyore.  I could not disagree with you more , this team has reloaded and will be back big time this year.  Top 5 in the nation by Christmas.  Please feel free to copy this because when they are top 5 I am coming back with an I Told you so.  GOSIOUX 

I smell a troll. Ignore him and he'll go away.

3 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Make the National tournament and go from there or season is a bust.

Pretty much.   They have the talent and coaching to make the tourney and possibly have some success there.   On paper.   Never know.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, burd said:

Pretty much.   They have the talent and coaching to make the tourney and possibly have some success there.   On paper.   Never know.  

Making the tourney needs to be a minimum expectation.

Every year. Too many advantages for that not to be the expectation.

I like the chances that that minimum will be met this season.

Color me optimistic.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Making the tourney needs to be a minimum expectation.

Every year. Too many advantages for that not to be the expectation.

I like the chances that that minimum will be met this season.

Color me optimistic.

Depends on how the team gels…how the new faces fit in and perform. Last years team (on paper) should have been very solid. The dcore looked really really solid. They simply underperformed.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Scratch said:

Hey I hope they’re too 5 by Christmas too! And I don’t think it’s impossible, just unlikely. That we’re talking about making the tournament as a measure of success  instead of winning it doesn’t inspire confidence 

I feel like using the tournament as a measure of success is more based on the past than the future. The expectation for me is to always be in the Frozen Four. Hak did it for years and Berry has struggled. I'm not sure how many times Berry has missed the tourney and usually when he makes it, it comes with an early exit. (This is not meant to be a knock on Berry; not bringing up that discussion) BUT given those kinds of issues over the past several years, its fair for "making the tournament" to be a conversation piece.

I was definitely nervous at the end of last season given who all we were losing, but given our additions ... my expectation remains the same this team needs to make the Frozen Four. I don't think there is any question that UND has had talent, but they seem to have lacked chemistry. Hope they start clicking this year and really hope the new guys jump in and make a splash.

10 hours ago, Scratch said:

Hey I hope they’re too 5 by Christmas too! And I don’t think it’s impossible, just unlikely. That we’re talking about making the tournament as a measure of success  instead of winning it doesn’t inspire confidence 

I have been frustrated with this team's lack of success recently. The over-reliance on the transfer portal, the harping on "culture" while we keep losing games and leads, the recent dip in recruiting quality and other things. But there is a reasonable case to be made for optimism this year:

• Last year's freshmen will be sophomores and should take another step forward.
  • This year's freshmen look very talented and will get better as the season goes on.
  • The portal additions look solid (not spectacular, but solid) and should help shore up the defense until the young guys figure it out.

Now that being said, these guys have to get on the same page quickly so the team doesn't get too far behind in the standings and PWR. If we have another season like last season, I will be concerned and frustrated because that means the coaching staff didn't really make the changes they needed to make. But I am willing to give the coaches and players the benefit of the doubt until I see reason not to.

I don't think things are as bleak as you believe they are. We'll know more by Christmas.

9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I feel like using the tournament as a measure of success is more based on the past than the future. The expectation for me is to always be in the Frozen Four. Hak did it for years and Berry has struggled. I'm not sure how many times Berry has missed the tourney and usually when he makes it, it comes with an early exit. (This is not meant to be a knock on Berry; not bringing up that discussion) BUT given those kinds of issues over the past several years, its fair for "making the tournament" to be a conversation piece.

I was definitely nervous at the end of last season given who all we were losing, but given our additions ... my expectation remains the same this team needs to make the Frozen Four. I don't think there is any question that UND has had talent, but they seem to have lacked chemistry. Hope they start clicking this year and really hope the new guys jump in and make a splash.

Chemistry is the key! If these men gel as a force all moving in the same direction, supporting each other. They will be successful. Period 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

So when does Schlossman + the UND men's hockey team announce their new 3rd coach? Thought we'd see something today...

Was hoping Hensler would have waited to commit so a nice defensive coach addition would have enticed him.   Oh well, still a lot of guys that are desirable that will probably be around a little longer.  

12 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Pehrson with an A has to be a positive sign, no?

Hope so. But it’s not like there was a wealth of players to choose from.

With the roster turnover, Ness and Kunz were the only other 2 returning upperclassman.  Everyone else is freshman, sophomore, or transfer.